Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 14, 2018, 08:17:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: 74 years since Normandy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 74 years since Normandy  (Read 1181 times)
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:28 am »

Amen, Gettysburg too.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 11:15:36 am »

Good story, Joe. Two of my daughters got over there a few years ago, but I've not made it yet.  I do hope to get the chance.

CC Griff

Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 03:12:38 pm »

Have been to Arlington, Gettysburg, US Cemetery in Luxenburg where GSP is buried and a few others.  I also visited some German war cemeteries.  I had the same type feelings looking at the graves of the German soldiers as I did the Americans. Somehow their being soldiers out weighed the evils of Hitler's Naziism.  Not sure if soldierhood would have held sway in a cemetery with a bunch of SS.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 04:15:10 pm »

A worthy topic drift is the honorable mention of the final resting place of the fallen warriors.

I too have walked the sacred grounds of Arlington, Shiloh, Gettysburg, Antietam and so many more...
One of the most hallowed in my opinion is the Seminole Negro Indian Scout Cemetery @ Brackettville Texas.
I was in Bracketville filming "Alamo the Price of Freedom"

I visited it in 1985 and was shocked by its rundown condition. There are Four Medal of Honor Recipients there.
Their old wooden crosses were weathered and deteriorating.

Adam  Paine
Isaac  Payne
Pompey  Factor
John  Ward

Today there a Seminole Indian Scouts Cemetery Association, there proper stones on the 4 graves above and The graveyard is carefully tended. 

If in West Texas , I urge your to visit Ft. Clark Springs and the Seminole Indian Scouts Cemetery.

You might want to stay the night in the motel ( old original cavalry barracks ) and take dip in the HUGE fresh water spring pool !

Bat 2919
G Man / Bat Masterson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 01:58:25 am »

Looked up My uncle Leonard's obit and found this info:

"After joining the U.S. Air Force during World War II, he was transferred to the Eighth Air Force at Bradley Field and fought with the 56th Fighter Group in England, where he was promoted to Second Lieutenant."

Looked up the 56th and they did support the D Day landings in P47s

Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: 74 years since Normandy « previous next »
Jump to: