Author Topic: Did Chiappa ever make a "single shot" Spencer?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Teddydogno1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Did Chiappa ever make a "single shot" Spencer?
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »
I have seen a couple of references (elsewhere) calling Chiappa/Armi Sport Spencers "single shot" and/or "falling block" rifles.  We all know that the Spencer is a lever-actuated 7-shot repeater.

But did Chiappa ever actually make a Spencer replica without a magazine, thus a single shot?  Or it is, as I suspect, ignorance that makes people describe the rifles as "single shot"?

Thanks.

Oh, this IS my first post here and I do hope to soon be a Spencer owner and shooter.

Rob

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: Did Chiappa ever make a "single shot" Spencer?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »
Welcome!

I don't know of Chiappa making a single shot falling block Spencer, but they do advertise a single shot falling block Sharps (https://www.chiappafirearms.com/f.php?id=58.  I think that "falling block" more accurately describes  the Sharps action.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »
They turn into single shot rifles when they don’t feed properly from the magazine..... ;D
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:11:07 AM »

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 07:04:55 AM »
Hello:

As it pertains to Armisport/Chiappa/Taylors, what was seen is probably garbled.

C. Spencer did develop a shop model and maybe a couple working examples of a true single shot action.  This was after he sold the rights to his repeater and was constrained from repeater stuff. This is presented in Marcot.

Larry Romano makes these single shots. I have handled it.  Nice!
Google Romano Rifle Company/Alamo Gun Shop in Pennellville,NY.
Regards, El Supremo
Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Teddydogno1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »
I have confirmed that for the one I was looking at, the seller just wasn't familiar with the Spencer.  Didn't know the magazine was in the butt.  I told him how to unlock and withdraw the magazine tube.  So it is a standard Chiappa Spencer in 56-50.

And it is now on the way to me.  It was "used" but "unfired" and included 3 boxes (60 rounds) of Buffalo Arms ammo.  I would not have bought the ammo, but it made the rifle a pretty good deal, I think.  I'll certainly never buy more loaded ammo.

Rob

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
Welcome to the Group:

Please share your experiences with us as you put the shoot into your rifle.

Few things:

This Forum has a section entitled "SORI" for Spencer often requested information.
A thorough study of it will help you avoid pitfalls.  
Armisport Spencers have progressed through years of subtle modifications involving chamber dimensions, rifling twist rate and a few important parts.
Your rifle may differ from the one in SORI, so be careful that what worked for one member might not for your rifle.

TEST cycling of loaded rounds can, given the frequent stutters in movement by new owners, create a rare instance of the loaded round's PRIMER contacting the cartridge feed guide.  Yep! Operator error.

Be sure yours cycles easily and only fuss with loaded rounds in the proper setting with the muzzle pointed SAFELY.  I LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY!  No injuries, but lost a few gray hairs.

Don't alter by twisting, stretching, filing, rounding, stoneing or polishing anything without inquiring here first. No home gunsmithing.  

Use a genuine mainspring vise, NOT channel-lock pliers to remove the mainspring.
If that spring flies out of channel-lock, it may fracture from the violence.

The Taylors location in Winchester has good employees, BUT they deal ONLY in current models and parts for current models.  Chiappa has a warranty facility in Dayton, OH that can help with older versions and parts for them.  

All the best,

El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com