Author Topic: Two New Powders  (Read 1571 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Two New Powders
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
Two new pistol powders have recently hit the market:

- Alliant "Sport Pistol"

- IMR "Target"

"Handloader" magazine did reviews of both. Anyone had any experience with either?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Two New Powders
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »
from Alliant site:

Smokeless pistol powder

Precision and action shooters need consistent, clean-burning propellant that lets them perform to their peak when a competition is on the line. New Alliant Powder® Sport Pistol™ delivers on these demands with extremely reliable cycling, excellent charging and case fill, and ballistics that lend themselves to a range of popular loads. Sport Pistol's low-muzzle-flash formulation is also optimized for polymer-coated bullets, whereas comparable powders can dissolve polymer coatings at the bullet base during ignition.
Clean-burning formulation

Extremely reliable cycling for competitive shooters

Optimized for polymer-coated bullets

Versatile ballistics

Excellent charging and case fill

Low muzzle flash

Made in the U.S.A.

from Hodgdon/IMR site

IMR Target is one of a new IMR family of powders that have comparable burn speeds to competitor powders. This new IMR family uses new, modern technology to ensure the product is “green,” burns clean and, in most cases, results in more energy from each grain of powder. IMR powders are consistent in bulk densities from lot to lot, eliminating some of the variability inherent in other competitors.

IMR Target is a fast-burning pistol powder yielding outstanding performance in 25 ACP, 38 Special and 45 ACP. It’s perfect for cowboy action target loads, where reduced recoil loads are needed.

For shotshell usage, powder densities are similar to competitor data. Most shotshell data is similar, but IMR recommends always consulting www.IMRReloading.com for the correct, up-to-date data and bushing charts. For pistol usage, pistol data is materially different from competitor data with lower charge weights and higher velocities at maximum pressures. IMR recommends always consulting www.IMRReloading.com for the correct, up-to-date data.

Available in 1-LB, 4-LB and 8-LB Containers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
IMR "Target" is made in Canada at the General Dynamics owned facility in Ontario as are most of the other IMR powders. Hodgdon distributes them from Kansas.

Looks like I don't have to worry about running out of Tite Group and Red Dot now, as long as I can find some of these powders.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:40:38 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com