Author Topic: Shelf Life of Real Black Gun Powder  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Shelf Life of Real Black Gun Powder
« on: May 25, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
I have been asked what is the life span of real Black Gun Powder?
Well essentially since it is made of three substances carbon and sulfur which are elements and cannot break down and potassium nitrate which is a very stable chemical my answer would be, as long as it is kept dry, I have no idea other than a very long time.

I have read reports of civil war ordinance exploding when accidentally ignited so that would give some sort of time line.

My experience is presently I am shooting my way through some Du Pont FFFg powder that, I believe, dates from the 1970’s and goes through my revolvers with no ignition problems. It is a little dirty when it comes to fouling, and I would not use it in a rifle unless it was swabbed out every two or three rounds, but in the revolvers, it works just fine.

It is slightly “clumpy” in the can but loosens up when stirred gently with a copper rod. It was found in Rail Way Express marked box so that should give some idea of the age of the powder. Nice little one-pound metal cans, clean and rust free.

So as best as I can tell the answer to the question is…
“I don’t know the answer to the question”.

But it will last longer than you will last so don’t be afraid to stock up.

Respectfully submitted
Bunk

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Shelf Life of Real Black Gun Powder
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
As it is a mechanical mixture, not an organic compound, dang near infinite if not disturbed.  I remember once some Civil War shells being dug up on a beach in North Carolina.  Naval Ordnance was called in (they were 11" Dahlgren rounds) who carefully piled them in a pit, covered them with dirt, then set them off.  The bang was just as big and loud as it would have been in 1864.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
I remember a long while back, some treasure hunters recovered a really old Cannon that had been "spiked."  Measurement of the inside of the bore verses the outside of the gun indicated something inside.  Their idea was to drill out the spike and see what was in there.  Not the most brilliant thing to do.  Apparently, the gun had been loaded and the ball sealed the bore.  The gun was spiked at some point (Spiking plugs the touch hole)

These intrepid treasure finders had partially cleaned the barnacles and crusting off the gun then had it with a cordless 1/2 inch drill.  AS the drill penetrated the chamber, sparking all the way, the gun FIRED.  The ball went thru one side of the boat and the gun recoiled out the other side of the boat.  Other than some scrapes and slight powder burns our intrepid salvers were unhurt.  They elected not to bring up any more of the guns (about a dozen+).  I don't have any information as to whom went back (if ever) to recover the rest of the guns.

Real Gonna Powder properly cared for (dry) lasts and lasts and lasts and .................

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:15:11 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »
I found this peaked interest ....went and looked at my modest collection of old BP tin cans....

I have an empty DuPont Superfine not sure how old , a couple of Gearhart-Owen & a couple of Goex tins  and  a 1/3 full tin of FFF Elephant Brand - lot 205  dates 2 /1997.

I did not set out to collect these just happened, all but the DuPont tin were purchased full for use at the time 1970-90 ...
The DuPont was empty when I found it in an antique mart... for $6  and thought it was vintage cool.

I recalled the Elephant had powder inside that is as it turns out 21 years old , I believe it may have been  some of the last imported from Brazil.

Today, I have KiK in plastic jars ,  it works but not as cool as the old cans....

Sorry for the drift, just waxing nostalgic     :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »
I made two studies of Alliant BlackMZ vs. Grafs Reenactor and BlackMZ vs. Goex FFg.  I had picked up the can of Goex at a flea market and it had about a half pound of powder in it.  The Goex powder was old.  I just don't know how old.  I show the codes on the bottom of the can in the video.

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
Everything depends on just how it was stored.
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
Kept dry, I submit black powder will last indefinitely.  Shooting it nullifies that claim.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
To add to what Gabriel Law said, "Shooting it nullifies that claim.",
Also washing its compound parts away with water before it is shoot will help nullify its long term explosive abilities.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline 27massvol

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
When I was about 12 and was working at Old Sturbridge Village museum in my hometown of Sturbridge Mass., my friends and I found a blue can of "Ducking Powder" that dated from the late 1600s. It went off alright....don't ask me the details....just think 12 year old boys and you get the picture!

Charlie Harsbro
SASS#27099

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
Charlie,

That is very interesting!
I know you were only 12, but are you able to describe this "can" the "Ducking Powder" was in?
With a little bit of help from you, I maybe able fix a better date to the container than the late 1600's.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

As and additional (I'm at home .... Bored) and pickup to what "others" have posted on the question.  None of US, or anyone I know have been around anywhere near long enough to answer this question.  At least not to be able to answer it first hand.   ;)

Several things mitigate the longevity of BP.  Using it to launch a projectile for instance, will shorten it's lifespan considerably.  Dumping it in a Toilette Bowl will have a certain nullifying effect on BPs' explosive properties.  Anvil shooting will absolutely shorten it's span of effectiveness.   :o

I would however .... hazard a guess .... in some as yet unplundered Chinese tomb, likes a corked Croc of Chinese Black Powder, centuries old, just waiting for some idiot to strike a match to see what's in the Croc.  It is also very possible, this self same container HAS been plundered but, as yet is unopened.  Sitting innocently on display on some Mantlepiece just because the "Urn" is really pretty, and wish we knew what all that ancient writing meant ........  ::) 

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
Charlie,

You are new here.
Don't let some of the locals scare you off from answering my question.
My intent is not to ridicule, but to inform. And not just you, but others on this forum that may wish to know as well.
The term "can" may mean very different things in different time periods, especially in what we today consider, or may call a "can".
M best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »
The Gunpowder treason Plot was exposed because of poor storage of "proper gun powder".

The plotters had rented the basement under the parliament chamber and stored the powder there, almost a ton of it! Guy Fawkes, a military engineer who had worked for the catholic armies during the 30years wars, did a routine check and found several 50 pound barrels that had gotten damp. He calculated that 5 more barrels were required, and the shopping list went out (confidentially of course). A person who heard about this development had a relative who would be expected to be present at the King's speech and sent a very confidential note to him that it might be a good day to take sick leave. Ooops! the cat was outta da bag!

Records of the Tower of London showed the final inventory of the powder as 1800 pounds!

P.S: 1605. I have no info on what happened to the powder, or when.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
 I have fired blackpowder manufactured in the 1880's, it will last a very long time.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 07:41:29 PM »
Mine doesn't  seem to last more than couple of months.  ???
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline 27massvol

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »
re: Charlie,

That is very interesting!
I know you were only 12, but are you able to describe this "can" the "Ducking Powder" was in?
With a little bit of help from you, I maybe able fix a better date to the container than the late 1600's.
My best,
 Blair

Hi Blair- more of a long time lurker with very little to say, as a rule...
Actually the can looked a lot like the old Dupont can, an example of which is included in Major 2's photos, however it was light blue in color. The print on the can was in English, but the gunsmith at OSV told us later that it might have been repackaged French powder. Sorry, I don't remember any more than that as it was too long ago!
What I do remember is the trouble we got in by setting off a handful inside the music dept. practice room at the hands of the (then) Dept. Director Art Schrader. He was a veteran of Anzio and had a short fuse himself where the antics of 12 year old boys were concerned!

Take care!
Charlie

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
Wildman  :D

Storing your Black Powder in those tiny little Brass Containers, stoppered with lead plugs, is not necessarily the recommended method for long term storage.  There is often an Explosive  :o reaction that blows the little lead stoppers .... out ::)    I've also experienced a similar reaction when storing it in the chambers of Percussion Pistols.  Very disconcerting .. that   8)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 01:46:48 PM »
Mine doesn't  seem to last more than couple of months.  ???
wM1
;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com