Author Topic: Out of Curiosity...  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Out of Curiosity...
« on: May 10, 2018, 06:27:10 PM »
Where do we go from here?
If I wanted a top quality percussion rifle, pistol or revolver, I would go to Pedersoli. Just my opinion. If I was looking for a Colt SAA clone (and I hate that word 'clone') who would I turn to?
USFA will never return.  They had a magnificent run for a few years, manufacturing some if the finest SAA revolvers ever made, but they are now gone forever.  Is there anyone we can look to for the quality that we came to appreciate from USFA?
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Re: Out of Curiosity...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Standard Manufacturing had an article in this months Guns & Ammo magazine and they now have two model single action revolvers showing on their website but I still haven't heard whether or not they are in production. I also noticed the price has already gone from $1595.00 to $1895.00 for the base model. For about a year their website showed the blued CC basic revolver to be priced at $1595.00 and during this last week their website is now showing an engraved model (the one that was shown in the Guns & Ammo review) with the non engraved model and the price has increased $300.00 for the basic non engraved model.

Other than these I like Cimarron. I live about 170 miles north of Frederiksberg, TX where Cimarron is located and I have been in Texas Jacks (Cimarron's store front) on several occasions. I have a friend who has a Cimarron Evil Roy and it is very smooth and the finish although not USFA is darn nice. I really like the look and feel of the US upgraded Cimarron.

http://www.stdgun.com/sa-revolver-1/

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 11:33:38 PM »
I have a pair of American Western Arms that I wouldn't trade for anything.  Maybe you could fine some on one the sites.

Everything except the cylinder pin and the hand and spring are perfect copies for my Gen II. Colt.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:17:07 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
So who do you all think make the closest copy to a 1st Gen Colt, Uberti, Pedersoli, Pietta, or ASM?

People who are having trouble affording USFA guns want to know. (smile)

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
There are some Caveats that apply here.  Dave's question is worded to indicate "current Manufacturer."  The closest copies of the SAA currently being manufactured are Pietta guns.  Other Caveat:  Most reproductions of Colt guns were/are copies of Second Generation guns.  So in fairness, My comments well address those copies of Second Generation guns.  I don't actually have knowledge of anyone making copies of 1st Gen guns.

Closest copies, as in "past" Manufacturers were Armi San Marco who made a "dead ringer" and also manufactured for American Western Arms.  Of course the "other" copies of a Colt were ...... Colt.  Uberti made most other replicas but Uberti built guns are only "close."  As far as I know, Metabo made the frames for the second AWA (usa).  USFA guns were copies of Ubertis.  Both the guns sourced from Uberti parts and the guns with US made parts.

I feel the Best value for dollar for a really nice SA are the Pietta made GW IIs.  Understanding another Caveat:  NONE of the current manufacture SAs are CAS ready "out of the box."  They will ALL need some help here and there to be ready to play.

I was/am really sorry to see AWA USA go away.  There was some really great innovation there.  The major players finally eliminated the fragile hand spring and went to coil and plunger for the hand.  Richard, at AWA USA developed a replacement Hammer powered by a Ruger style coil Main Spring.  That Main Spring/Hammer combo was OEM on the AWA Ultimate.  Like a dummy, I didn't buy about a dozen of those units when they were still available.  I am also surprised one of the major players hasn't included that Coil Main Spring layout in their current manufacture guns.  My desire would be that Pietta would do it.  With the coil and plunger on the hand, wire on the Trigger/Bolt and the coil Main Spring, bulletproof would come to mind.  Oh Well.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
To my knowledge Pedersoli does not make single action revolvers or any revolving cylinder style pistol. They only make muzzle loading single shot or side by side pistols.

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »
Look to Uberti and Pietta

Colts are nice, the USFAs were nice, I'm sure the Standards will be nice.  But in any of those propositions, you were never getting $1250 in additional artisanal quality over a Uberti or Pietta.  You're probably getting $400 in additional artisanal finish quality, and $100 dollars in additional functional quality (that comes from additional quality control and inspections, tuning).

I got my last new Uberti in 2017, and I evaluated it granularly for quality against a USFA I have whose configuration is quite similar.  The actions were identical in feel.  The Uberti's cam leg tine was a little long, making it palpably hard going over the 3rd click.  The Uberti's grips were adequately fitted rather than exquisitely and laboriously fitted.  Uberti has a chemical style cch, USFAs is artisanal basically (Turnbull).

That's it, the Uberti wasn't deficient in any meaningful way, just built a little less 'artisinally'.  Their basic quality isn't terribly less, if at all. 

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
Don't know if what I heard is accurate but I understand Uberti like the other Italian makers of single action revolvers is going to a transfer bar safety and there will be no more C-O-L-T 4 click's heard when cocking. I can't remember if someone told me that or if I read it somewhere so I am not certain if it is true. Sure hope not but if it is I would prefer the older models.

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
Mostly true, though it seems some Pietta models are still available in the traditional style at select retailers (Cimarron, maybe EMF)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »
Look to Uberti and Pietta

Colts are nice, the USFAs were nice, I'm sure the Standards will be nice.  But in any of those propositions, you were never getting $1250 in additional artisanal quality over a Uberti or Pietta.  You're probably getting $400 in additional artisanal finish quality, and $100 dollars in additional functional quality (that comes from additional quality control and inspections, tuning).

I got my last new Uberti in 2017, and I evaluated it granularly for quality against a USFA I have whose configuration is quite similar.  The actions were identical in feel.  The Uberti's cam leg tine was a little long, making it palpably hard going over the 3rd click.  The Uberti's grips were adequately fitted rather than exquisitely and laboriously fitted.  Uberti has a chemical style cch, USFAs is artisanal basically (Turnbull).

That's it, the Uberti wasn't deficient in any meaningful way, just built a little less 'artisinally'.  Their basic quality isn't terribly less, if at all. 

I going to echo ...Sack Peterson.  I agree...

USFA's are nice, very nice...arguably not the crazy stratospheric money nice...  :o
Donnelly is/was a perfectionist NUT & lost his corporate BUTT.
Way to many, brain farts and preempted projected Ideas.
The Zip was his total melt down !

COLT was the bar to reach, sadly they reach the bar & their eminence, and sat on it and it slipped ( UAW was part of that blame )
 , If Donnelly has a legacy aside from his very NICE SAA's
it would Be , jump starting COLT to address their own products QC.  Before USFA was fitted for the Dirt Blanket.

I doubt Standard will ever make SAA's ....reason there is only a small market for High $$$$.00 SAA's
The investment could be  "Cost prohibitive"

Sure...there is a Collector Market.... but they want the real deal COLT's  ( 1st. & 2nd Gens )

Uberti ( with Beretta backing)  is the big he-bull ... Pietta makes a creditable SAA
and both are the working mans bread & butter go to SAA's .

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
The recent Guns & Ammo featured the new Standard Manufacturing SA Revolver. A quote from their exec said they are seeking to build the best SA out there. Not available for purchase yet but according to this thread they are accepting deposits and expect delivery in 60 to 90 days: http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/22676/standard-manufacturing

I only have two SAA replicas, an American made USFA .45 and a newer Uberti Flattop Target .44-40. The Uberti is very nice for the price but in my opinion it's not in the same league as an American made USFA.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
You're missing the boat if you don't try a current Uberti.    I wanted to love the Pietta but found with a few samples from each company that the Uberti guns may be a bit better.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 01:42:55 AM »
To my knowledge Pedersoli does not make single action revolvers or any revolving cylinder style pistol. They only make muzzle loading single shot or side by side pistols.

Pedersoli currently lists a copy of the Remington NMA (percussion) in their catalogue. They used to offer a Rogers & Spencer copy but that seems to have gone.

Chance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com