Author Topic: New Miroku '73's mag tube?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
New Miroku '73's mag tube?
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
Does anyone have photos they can post of the mag ring attachment to the barrel on the  new  Winchester?

I looked at one in the store today and saw another fella post that the mag plug screw is threaded into the barrel.  I saw the retainer pin on the mag tube retainer ring today but was unsure how or if the ring is dovetailed into the barrel of just sitting on it with guides on either side.  Does the mag tube thread into the receiver?  Detailed pictures of the bottom of the barrel where the mag ring sits would really help me out making a decision.  Thanks for the help!
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: New Miroku '73's mag tube?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »
Does anyone have photos they can post of the mag ring attachment to the barrel on the  new  Winchester?

I looked at one in the store today and saw another fella post that the mag plug screw is threaded into the barrel.  I saw the retainer pin on the mag tube retainer ring today but was unsure how or if the ring is dovetailed into the barrel of just sitting on it with guides on either side.  Does the mag tube thread into the receiver?  Detailed pictures of the bottom of the barrel where the mag ring sits would really help me out making a decision.  Thanks for the help!

Cant help but am curious - my Ubertis (66 and 76) have the rounded dovetail like a proper winchester 92 - 73 etc - (have one 92 that I got from Bubba after he drove the rounded dovetail hanger out sideways like you would remove a sight!) -- also have a OFW commemmorative 94 that has a straight dovetail hanger - NO - its just a straight slot so the hanger is really just a recoil lug pinned to the tube and holding against the notch in the barrel - the end cap screw goes through the tube and cap and has a stub that engages into a shallow hole in the barrel (not threaded tho) and prevents sideways slop - the whole setup looks cheap - but the penny just dropped - this rifle does not walk shots up the target like a lot of full magazine guns do - it shoots a nice group from cold - that cheap looking setup allows the tube to be free from the barrel but retains at the same time - clever? or unintended consequence?
I dont recall seeing one of those through the end cap screws that was threaded into the barrel - all Ive seen is they have a thread through the end cap then a smaller pin end into a plain hole - intersted in what you find here.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
Thanks.  Yep found it hard to belie that the barrel was threaded for the end cap screw.  Mighty then barrel from the get go on the new Winchester.  Looked long and hard at the retaining ring in the store with readers on and I'll be danged but sure didn't see a lot of metal there or  a dove tail.  Hope some one  has pulled theirs apart for a look see.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:18 PM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »
One owner of the new '92 thought his retaining ring was soldered on to the barrel which makes sense by  the look of the '73's.  Also the  end screw is not  threaded into the barrel on his '922 just threaded into the mag tube end cap.  The end is a unthreaded post that goes into the barrel.

Originally Posted by forward_observer
Just a minor correction. The slot that the forward magazine ring/hanger fits in is not really a true dovetailed slot although it's referred to as one--at least on the model 73 and 92. The slot that is machined in the bottom of the barrel is in fact cut elliptically.......

I don't believe that is the case on the newest Miroku '73s. Anyone pulled their mag tube and forearm off to check how they are attached?

If I were to guess I'd say the new Miroku does not have an attachment of the barrel retainer ring to the barrel and the pin only positions the ring on the mag tube. The screw threaded into the barrel is doing the actual retaining of the mag tube. Easy to check if that is correct. Remove the mag end cap screw and slightly bend the mag tube downward. If you can see air between barrel and retaining ring it is a fiction fit and no dovetail on the barrel. A stronger way to attach a mag tube, which at times Winchester used (as has Miroku) was threading the mag tube into the receiver and then using the end cap screw to stabilize the tube at the end.

Reason I am asking is, if the barrel is not milled for the retaining ring any of these guns would be a easy conversion to a half mag gun. Only thing showing would be the mag tube end cap retaining screw which could easily be filled with an appropriate and almost invisible set screw/plug.

If the bottom of the barrel is milled like a typical Winchester or Uberti then the conversion to a half mag gun is too obvious.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »
the second service center I called had the answer. The guy told me that the Miroku's magazine ring/hangers did not use the traditional method that Winchester used and were instead soldered on with silver solder.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
Looking like a Half Mag project on the horizon . ,,,,DT

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
Quote from: dusty texian
Looking like a Half Mag project on the horizon . ,,,,DT

We'll  have to see if I have the nerve to cut up a new rifle. ::)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »
I talked with the head tech guy in repairs at Winchester today.

Mag tubes are not threaded into the recievers.
Mag retainer ring is silver soldered to the barrel.
Mag end cap screw is not threaded into the barrel but the stud is lock tited into the barrel hole and cap. He figured I'd better bring a my pet gorilla with the right screw driver to pull that one out 

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »
Short mag. button and short mag. tube , a bit of heat remove the hanger and warm the locktite that screw will come out . ,,DT

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
great minds :)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »
great minds :)

Short magazines were the common form in Australia, particularly in the small calibres. My first centerfire was a 32/20 short magazine SRC - but it didnt look like the ones in the movies so I went to a lot of trouble to convert it to a full length tube - I was not alone in that thinking - so it is kind of amusing to see you fellers fascination with the short magazine rifles.  ;)
They a more practical arrangement for a hunting rifle for a lot of reasons .................... 

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 07:48:15 PM »
Quote from: greyhawk
......kind of amusing to see you fellers fascination with the short magazine rifles.....  ;)...... 

Short mag tube guns are rather rare here...special order typically back in the day.  Generally a case of,  "can't have, me want :) "

I have a wonderful straight stocked, short mag, round barrel '73 with a crescent butt plate.  Love it.

I am trying to decide now between the shot gun butt, pistol grip or a 24" standard rifle for a conversion. 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »
I have an original 73 with a half octagon barrel and half mag. Kind of cool.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 02:07:27 AM »
I have an original 73 with a half octagon barrel and half mag. Kind of cool.

My son had one of those in 38/40, we rebarreled it and went to full magazine - kept the original bits but it was not in good enough shape for a collector piece - half octagon / half round is extra cool I reckon. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com