Author Topic: Break that edge  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Break that edge
« on: April 25, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »
Following a tip from Geojohn Fuhring I broke the sharp edge of the chamber mouth with a counter sink reamer just enough to see the cut. Now the ball swages down into the chamber making a good tight seal.
I have purposely “dry balled” a chamber on my Pietta snubby two times for conformation and get a seal about .03” wide whether the sprue is up on right on the chamber mouth.
I have shot over 500 rounds through guns that has this simple modification with no dreaded chain fire so I am satisfied it works and makes loading easier.
I read somewhere that the so-called period correct way to load is grease over the ball. I hate to rain on any one’s parade, but the loading instructions in a cased set plainly say to fill the chamber one half full of power and ram down the ball.
The gun was meant to be emptied and replaced with a loaded one not reloaded in the middle of a fight.
Here is a challenge for you grease on top shooters. Slather as much Crisco or what ever on the top of the ball. Fire one or two shots and tell me where the grease went. All over the front of the gun that is where.
Powder, lube wad, ball or bullet if you are using real Gun Powder. With APP the grease wad in not needed. With Pyrodex I makes no difference because the chlorate residue will do bad things to the barrel interior and chambers. See the article by Prof. Marvel in the Powder Room section.
Rant ended
Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Break that edge
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
I use a lubed wad under the ball just because it makes cleanup so much easier. I also dip my CAS bullets in Bore Butter for the same reason. Most of the fouling will wipe off before you start the cleanup process. I average 60 to 120 shots in matches per week in Cas with my revolvers. The lubed wad is in C&B, the dip is for cartridge revolvers.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com