Author Topic: New black powder convert had fun today!  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New black powder convert had fun today!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
@ Bunk and Dick- I'm going to say that Dick's tale was not intended to inspire anyone. Instead, it offers a glimpse at what can happen, when you try to use what you aren't supposed to.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
Capt Quirk,
Exactly correct and like DD says "don't tease the dragon".
Just burned a few rounds guns clean and put away. Great way to spend the morning.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk
Roger bacon said it best in 1242 and stand still today
"When the flame of powder toucheth the  soul of man, it burns exceeding deep"

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »
Well, Lyman had those loads in multiple printings  for 10+ years. I would have expected them to have caught hell over it if it were a consistent hazard. Their pressures were not excessive or they wouldn't have put those loads in their manual on BP. I guess everybody's mileage varies.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:20:28 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
I think I tag along with DD and Bunk here ---"dont tease the dragon"

Just cuz it was once in a book dont make it automatically a good idea - if we go back 25 to 45 years some of the information (load dats) in some of those old reloading manuals was downright dangerous - and time has proved that. So the wheel turns, lawyers climb aboard the bandwagon, and now we maybe too far in tother direction - who knows ? (till its too late - that is after the kaboom)

Nuther thing with black powder is what is 3F ? what is 4f ?  .... there still is a lot of confusion about granulation and what actually is in there - what size grains make up the grade on the can ?
Black powder also not allasame - when I started out we could get Curtiss and Harveys and Goex -- the C&H was about 30% LESS pressure (and lose some velocity) for a given load than Goex (so Goex was HOT - velocity and pressure) these days we see similar differences in Wano versus Swiss - so 4F Wano in a pistol is gonna be like 3F or 2an half F  Swiss ---- they different!!!!

Some fellers are under the spell of the myth that says we cant generate enough pressure with blackpowder to cause any harm in a gun ---baloney !!    (I would say Bull$h#T but the word police proly delete it)   
The blackpowder dragon is a sleepy old dude but if we tease him enough - he wake up and when he does he breathe fire and smoke that can cause awesome results. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com