Author Topic: Turtle shell possibles bag  (Read 3128 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Turtle shell possibles bag
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:58:14 AM »
Turtle shell possibles  bag is something that I thought was kind of unique . Seeing Mogorillas  coconut powder horn/coconut reminded me of a turtle shell possible bag I had seen for sale a while back . Anyway I thought as talented  Mogorilla is this may or may not be an interesting project idea. The pic. is not mine . it one of many on the internet . Looks Cool ,,,DT

Online Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Turtle shell possibles bag
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »
Greetings My Dear Dusty -

I have seen the Turtle Shell used on a variety of Medicine bags and Sacred Items, but seldon on a daily-use
possibles bag. Never let it be said, however that it is inappropriate! Just that the shell might not hold up to rough use.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:56:50 AM »
Like always Professor  you are on point . These turtle shell pieces should be for the Big Chief ,  on Sunday Go To Meeting  dress  . ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:29:18 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:11:15 AM »
I have seen a few belt pouches made from them over the years and plenty of Native American rattles, etc.   I like the look, but I have to admit having a huge soft part in my heart for turtles.   Nothing irritates me more than seeing one hit on the road, not like the thing ran out in front of you.  Thank God no one took a video of me, but last spring a snapper was trying to make it across a four lane road.  Had made it across two and was just coming out of the median when I pulled up.  Knowing rush hour was just a scant few minutes behind me, I pulled over and grabbed some leather gloves.  This fella was about 16 inches across the back of the shell.   I picked him up from behind and ran like the devil himself was behind me across the traffic and deposited him on the other side.  Not sure the golf course that he was headed for will appreciated him in their water hazard, but I felt I had done my good deed for the day in helping one of God's slower creatures.  Like I said, thankfully no video, but plenty of odd looks as I ran with my arms out as far in front of me holding this snapper who was not appreciating my changing the rules of Frogger to Turtle. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »

PLUS   ONE   to   MOGO!!  You betcha.  Turtles are really neat.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »
OK ---OK   No turtles were hurt during the making of this topic , cant say , about the poor coon !  ,,,DT

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:03:00 PM »
Ha.   I will admit I have eaten both turtle and coon.  While I would eat coon again, if given the choice of the two, I would still grab the turtle (unless it was sea turtle, not enough of them left and I have been to countries that still serve it).  No worries, just thinking I will try out the gourd option before researching the turtle shell.  Now, I do have a coonskin cut for a hat for my great nephew (seriously when the heck did I get old enough to have one of those?!?!?)   When I get that done, there will be a picture as well.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
I have seen the Turtle Shell used on a variety of Medicine bags and Sacred Items, but seldon on a daily-use
possibles bag. Never let it be said, however that it is inappropriate! Just that the shell might not hold up to rough use.

Well, I'll say it.  In about 30 years of visiting museums to examine shot pouches, shooting bags, hunting bags, etc, plus getting into some of the better private collections, I've had my hands on literally thousands of original bags with a history of use in the trans-Mississippi west prior to 1900.  I've seen thousands more.  I've read historical descriptions of bags, and ethnographic descriptions of bags.  But I've never run across mention, or an example, of a bag made from a turtle or tortoise shell.

I've seen shells used as boxes, shells in medicine bundles, shells as ornaments, shells that were kept for who-knows-what-reason, but no bags.  Until someone can point to an actual example or historical mention, I'm going to regard anyone carrying one as farby, as a pork-eater, or as a re-enactor of 1950s Friendship Indiana shooting matches.  (Ah the days when "If they'da had it, theyda used it" was king. . . . But they DID have "it", and they DIDN'T use it that way.) 

From the pic it does look like a nice piece of work.  I've never understood putting the effort and expense into doing something like that rather than something that is historically accurate. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »
I don't think anyone here is trying to prove that the turtle shell bag was ever used in historic times  ,( For Sure ) including myself  just like Mogorilla is not  trying to prove the coconut powderhorn /powderholder is historically correct  . With that said I'll say it , again it is a unique idea. Proof that one ever was made in historic times , who knows ? I'll leave that to you and the experts to figure that  out . Enjoy your journey in the study of what was and what wasn't for sure  . I myself would enjoy reading  your findings , sounds like you are the expert . ,,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com