Author Topic: New job for Uberti gorilla  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
New job for Uberti gorilla
« on: April 03, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
I usually stick with Uberti products out of familiarity and my spare parts supply. However, I just bought a new Pietta 51 Navy .44 and a Kirst cylinder along with a 12" barrel as a new project. Was struck by some of the differences in machine work between the two but that is a whole another story. Anyway, started disassembly and was surprised at how tight most of the screws were torqued down. Got to the bolt screw--forget it. Did the usual, soaking in Kroil for a couple days, tapping, etc, but no go. Have the adapter for 3/8 drive for the Brownells Super Set screwdrivers and that, a 3/8 short extension and a breaker bar(!!)finally did it--but not before I put a small nick on the frame next to the screw hole. Boy, was I mad at marring a brand new gun!!! So it appears that the gorilla that used to tighten screws at Uberti now has a job at Pietta ::)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: New job for Uberti gorilla
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
Had to put the project on the back-burner for a few weeks but finally got back to it. After examining the frame more closely I discovered the screw holes (both trigger and bolt) on the left side of the frame were not perfectly round and somewhat elliptical shaped. Therefore the screw heads didn't quite fit in all the way but the factory assembler just forced them in anyway.  ::)  Also, the screw slots are very thin and the smallest drivers in Brownells Super Set were still too thick to bottom out in the screw slot. No wonder I had a problem. Every other screw hole appeared fine. As usual, these percussion pistols--whether Uberti or Pietta--have to be gone over in minute detail before their initial use. So what, I love them all! I ordered new screws just to be safe. The good news is, after cutting the loading trough in the right side of the frame, the Kirst cylinder and ring slipped right in and timed up without any fiddling with ring, the hand or anything. The Pietta bolt head also fit the Kirst cylinder notches perfectly. Hope to finish up soon and get to test firing. :)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com