Author Topic: 45-75 Brass?  (Read 19835 times)

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: 45-75 Brass?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Mr. CC Griff I second the motion that Starline considers producing the 45-75.  Hopefully the whole line of 1876 cartridges.  Been watching the Jamison site, still nothing.  Things ain't looking promising at all there. 

Keep ya powder dry.

P.B.

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
Morning All,

Been trying to keep up with the remaining sources of 76 caliber brass.  Looking this morning at Rock Mountain Cartridge page, I see a banner across the home that reads:  Business / Equipment For Sale Still Accepting Orders.  Ya'll it ain't looking good for us 76 shooters.  Jamison is still missing in action, a custom maker is showing signs of heading off into the sun set and more folks are starting to reform their own. 

Just an update on what I'm a seeing in the wild.  Let us hope somewhere good news will come our way and at least we can still find the ready brass.  Know we all hope to retire in some form (myself I retired, then went to work in a gun shop!!  like hiring a drunk in a liquor store!) but when a small business starts to hang it up, it sometimes leaves sources of things they specialize in running in short supply.  Wish I had better news to share. Will keep looking for sources and share them here if any is found.

Keep ya powder dry.

P.B.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »
Well, I feel better about the money and time that I invested in case forming. That's too bad. I'd have thought that, with all of the 1876's that Uberti has sold, the demand for brass would be sufficient. Maybe we should all chip in and buy Rocky Mountain Cartridge!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:57:41 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 06:34:09 PM »
I bought quite a bit when the Jamison was available but now wish I had bought quite a bit more. It seems like good brass so far and was about as reasonable priced as I have seen too.

If they would make another run of it I'm sure it would sell.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »
For what it's worth, I've been reloading for and shooting the .45-75 since the late 1960's.  These guns were and are of course, original Winchester rifles and carbines.  I have never had experience with any of the reproductions.  I have always used reformed .348 Win. Brass for both the .45-75 and .50 Express.  Correct headstamps mean nothing to me.  I'm old enough to know what a .45-75 cartridge case looks like.  I have never had a failure of any kind using this brass.

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
Well folks, if you don't ask you can't get told no.   Went to Starline site and in their contact section they have a topic of new caliber suggestion.  I put in for the 1876 calibers of 45-60, 45-75 and 50-95.  Figure it couldn't hurt.  Maybe if they get enough requests from us (know others here have already asked them to consider this as well) it might stand a small chance.  Here is to hoping.

Keep ya powder dry.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
It would be nice if they did the Uberti chamber version of the 45/75 for those of us with the long chamber.
King Medallion

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
Buck:  I knew that you (and others) have had good success with 348 Win brass, but I decided to go with 50-90 as my donor case because I was afraid that the slightly smaller rim of the 348 might not work well in my Uberti gun.  I felt that I could reduce the rim size easier than increasing it.  It would probably have worked, but I didn't want to waste money finding out.  When I bought my gun, Jamison brass was plentiful and I'd never formed brass before.  i don't really care about the headstamp either, but it was nice to be able to just order the brass.  When it went away, it took a fair investment to get set up to form my own--the only case trimmer I had was a Wilson, which was great for loading precision .223 cartridges for my bolt action, but wouldn't work for trimming 45-75.  That meant buying a new (used from eBay) trimmer, pilots and 50-90 brass just to try it out.  Now that I know that it works, that's all fine, but it was easier to hit the "buy" button at Midway or Graf's when Jamison was in business...

Pinto Beans:  I kind of hope that Starline comes out with those calibers, although as I've said, I'm now OK on the brass front with my box of 100 50-90 cases and all of the tools to make my own.  I've sent them the same message (maybe more than once--I can't remember).

King Medallion:  Either way seems fine--those of us with the standard chamber guns could easily reshape your brass by pushing the shoulder back; those with the longer chamber could fire-form the shoulder forward (I think).

If I had known that there would be issues with the brass, I would likely have leaned towards a 45-60 instead of a 45-75.  Now that I'm here, though, it's all worth it!  I've seen some of the original 1876's that Buck has had (both NWMP carbines and some rifles).  Those are mighty fine guns, but well outside of my price range.  I'm glad that Uberti stepped up with their reproductions. I really like my 45-75 carbine!

CC Griff

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
CC Griff:
Way back about 7 or 8 years ago, I got my Uberti 45-75 and it had that longer chamber.  After doing some searching, I found that longer chamber works just fine with black powder in that you can get about 76 grains in the cases.  Man what a thump!  When I first ordered my '76 I was told that regular brass was hard to get so got a bunch of .348 brass and after fire-forming and whatnot, I have never had any problems and after a  few firing that "Coke Bottle"shape sort of became history.  Those cases are really tuff and last a long time.  After the initial case forming and several reloadings, I have not had to trim them.  As far as dies go, I use RCBS and am totally satisfied but they are spendy.  I do have a bunch of Jamison cases and also some Quality stuff plus all that 348 stuff so am fixed pretty good.  In fact, if my heart was as strong as some of the cases I got, I would be in pretty good shape!  Talkng about the larger chamber, I read awhile back where some '76 shooter got hold of some original loads and pulled the bullets and measured the charges.  He found that the factory had been putting in 76 grains of BP rather than 75 grains.  So that was where I got the idea to give it a try and by golly that is some load.  No wonder those Mounties were such tuff fellers.  Anyway, I don't know if all this blurb helps but here it is anyway.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »
I just got my first Uberti 45-75 a couple years ago and was my understanding when ordering they had corrected the chamber dimensions to be correct Winchester 45-75.

I don't know what the Uberti chamber everyone talks about is for sure but I do know the supposedly correct Uberti I have fire forms the cases different than original Winchester rifles.

Since I don't rapid fire any of them I just set the die to neck size the brass and keep the brass from the Uberti rifle separate from the other.

It seems with this day and time and machining capabilities and all they could do something as simple as chamber a rifle in the correct dimensions of the cartridge they are supposed to be chambering it for.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2018, 04:03:21 AM »
It would be nice if they did the Uberti chamber version of the 45/75 for those of us with the long chamber.

That should be just an easy fire form ? no.....

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2018, 04:52:57 AM »
I just got my first Uberti 45-75 a couple years ago and was my understanding when ordering they had corrected the chamber dimensions to be correct Winchester 45-75.

I don't know what the Uberti chamber everyone talks about is for sure but I do know the supposedly correct Uberti I have fire forms the cases different than original Winchester rifles.

Since I don't rapid fire any of them I just set the die to neck size the brass and keep the brass from the Uberti rifle separate from the other.

It seems with this day and time and machining capabilities and all they could do something as simple as chamber a rifle in the correct dimensions of the cartridge they are supposed to be chambering it for.

Cliff   ...  I have the supposedly correct chamber in my Uberti also - its a little different than the winchester drawing thats been used for reference
Fire formed case - body - base to start of shoulder winchester = .970, Uberti = 1020, neck length winchester = .300 Uberti = 280, (so the neck angle must be also a little different) .....  my cases cut to full length of chamber are 1.928 OAL , winchester says 1.880 -----where it goes astray is the base diameter measurement - the drawing says .562-564 where the reformed 348 is only .544 at the solid head,  the expanded body measures .558 after about five reloads - I dont have any worries about those 348
cases quitting on me - the 14 thou swelling just looks a bit "off" - they chamber fine - havent even neck sized any reloads yet.
These cases take 63 to 67 grains depending on what boolit - I can get 70 grains under a 330 grain with heavy compression.
(the powder compresses much more in the neck) - lately I have been brushing the necks inside with powdered graphite on a brass brush and using my compression die with a 60 grain charge then adding the last bit and compressing again. Also been playing with heavier boolits single loaded for target work - its a work in progress but looks interesting.   

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »
That should be just an easy fire form ? no.....

It is, but it's also one more time that it's fired, shortening it's life span by 1. Once can be the difference between the have and don't have. I know they won't make a special Uberti version, just wishing out loud.   :)
King Medallion

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »
(As a side note, I keep congratulating myself: this is the first time I've started a thread that has gone to three pages! I base my self-esteem on how popular my CAS City threads are.  Now, back to our regular programming.)

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »
It is, but it's also one more time that it's fired, shortening it's life span by 1. Once can be the difference between the have and don't have. I know they won't make a special Uberti version, just wishing out loud.   :)

KM
I'm up to six on some of mine and have not sized yet (nor neck sized either) just fill em up with powder - boolit - tiny bit of crimp - off we go.
Trying to figure out if I can ream the neck out of my LEE FL die because it is way too tight - some cases just needing a little touch at the front end (shoulder area) but I do not want a heavy full length size because of that overworking of the neck .
I would have enjoyed the Uberti chamber (some fellers sent rifles back!) but the standard one has allowed me to shoot heavier boolits without their tails hanging down past the shoulder so in the end - pleased I got a later one.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2018, 08:06:18 PM »
Yes, I only neck size also. And I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
King Medallion

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2018, 09:19:46 PM »
Cliff   ...  I have the supposedly correct chamber in my Uberti also - its a little different than the winchester drawing thats been used for reference
Fire formed case - body - base to start of shoulder winchester = .970, Uberti = 1020, neck length winchester = .300 Uberti = 280, (so the neck angle must be also a little different) .....  my cases cut to full length of chamber are 1.928 OAL , winchester says 1.880 -----where it goes astray is the base diameter measurement - the drawing says .562-564 where the reformed 348 is only .544 at the solid head,  the expanded body measures .558 after about five reloads - I dont have any worries about those 348
cases quitting on me - the 14 thou swelling just looks a bit "off" - they chamber fine - havent even neck sized any reloads yet.
These cases take 63 to 67 grains depending on what boolit - I can get 70 grains under a 330 grain with heavy compression.
(the powder compresses much more in the neck) - lately I have been brushing the necks inside with powdered graphite on a brass brush and using my compression die with a 60 grain charge then adding the last bit and compressing again. Also been playing with heavier boolits single loaded for target work - its a work in progress but looks interesting.   

I haven't done any measuring but can tell with the naked eye they are different than fired from the original Winchester 45-75's. So bottom line Uberti's supposedly correct 45-75 chambering is NOT correct 45-75 chambering

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2018, 01:46:46 AM »
I haven't done any measuring but can tell with the naked eye they are different than fired from the original Winchester 45-75's. So bottom line Uberti's supposedly correct 45-75 chambering is NOT correct 45-75 chambering

More gently sloped shoulder and the neck is longer ??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com