Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2019, 11:19:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: .45-75 Winchester brass 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: .45-75 Winchester brass  (Read 1706 times)
larryo1
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 07:53:46 pm »

D.T.
Glad what little I had to offer could help.  I quite getting cases after about 4-500 rounds and still have some stashed that I haven't done anything with but one of these days I will have to dip in and use them.  Anyhow it is fun. One of my more interesting moments was when I found out that I could get 76 grains of 1F into a Jamison case.  That turned out to be one of my better moments with regards to a loud BOOM and a heavy recoil but it did shoot clean and was quite accurate.  I got that info off an original box of factory loads.  Damn those Mounties must have been tuff buggers.  It also makes one wonder about the integrity of those folks at those factories what did the original loadings but guess that was a long ago anyway.  Have fun.
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 01:10:16 pm »

Larry O  , my hunting loads for my 28" oct. bbl .45-75 1876  are loaded with 77 gr. by weight  Swiss 2ff and an original 350 gr. bullet .It is a stout load and yes I agree the Mounties or anyone firing that load in a SRC 1876 is in for a Blast /Boom /Recoil . Thank You for your input on the fire Forming the 348 brass . Had the EHB 1876 out for some target shooting yesterday afternoon using my target load around 65-66 gr. Swiiss 2ff and a 350 gr. bullet that load along with the Extra Weight of this Bull Barrel gun makes it a very pleasant shooter . Here is the old girl all cleaned up after the shoot .,,,DT

* EHBSUNDAYshoot.jpg (97.32 KB, 424x318 - viewed 37 times.)
larryo1
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 01:18:35 pm »

DT:

I forgot to mention that it was Bullseye that I had  in under that Cream-of-Wheat when I test fired.  I guess it probably don't mean much as lng as the brass is fire-formed.  Also, I peaked at some of my loads and in the fire-formed .348 cases, I was able to put in 76 grains of Swiss 1BP with a 0.020" card over it and as you say, the recoil is quite rewarding and I always think that it could be interesting to tangle with one of those ol Mounties at the firing range huh!
Oregon Bill
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 02:35:16 pm »

Dang me that's a handsome '76, Dusty!    Grin
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 05:08:23 pm »

DT:

I forgot to mention that it was Bullseye that I had  in under that Cream-of-Wheat when I test fired.  I guess it probably don't mean much as lng as the brass is fire-formed.  Also, I peaked at some of my loads and in the fire-formed .348 cases, I was able to put in 76 grains of Swiss 1BP with a 0.020" card over it and as you say, the recoil is quite rewarding and I always think that it could be interesting to tangle with one of those ol Mounties at the firing range huh!
          Thanks Larry O , I have some old 348 cases but will wait until I get some new brass in for fireforming . Will try some Unique powder about 6 or 7 gr. under the corn meal should do it . If the wind slows down a bit will burn some powder . ,,,DT
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 05:10:00 pm »

Dang me that's a handsome '76, Dusty!    Grin
   Thanks Bill , I don't like carrying it around but on the bags its a sweetheart for sure .,,,DT
larryo1
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 06:54:35 pm »

DT:
The only other thing that might be worth mentioning is that there is suppose to be a "Coke Bottle" shape at the head of the case when you use .348 brass.  Well, I did have that situation with the first firing but now with all my .348 cases that are now ..45-75 cases that shape has gone away at least in mine.  Don't know if this means anything other than the fact that this situation has not caused me any problems. Also I may mention that I have not lost any cases since the forming was done and after alot of shottings.  Needless to say, that .348 brass is some pretty tough stuff.
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:16 pm »

DT:
The only other thing that might be worth mentioning is that there is suppose to be a "Coke Bottle" shape at the head of the case when you use .348 brass.  Well, I did have that situation with the first firing but now with all my .348 cases that are now ..45-75 cases that shape has gone away at least in mine.  Don't know if this means anything other than the fact that this situation has not caused me any problems. Also I may mention that I have not lost any cases since the forming was done and after alot of shottings.  Needless to say, that .348 brass is some pretty tough stuff.

Larryo
I was one "complained" about the 348 cases forming out of shape - all my 348 brass is winchester and it measures consistently .543 at the soild head - my fully formed cases measure .554 at the bulge (where wall joins soild head) so there is a quite noticeable swell there - (BTW when we google 348W case dimension the spec dimension for 348 at base is .553 -- the 50/110 parent case says .551) So if the parent brass had been made fuill sized ?? ------ I dont know what other brands measure (Starline - Hornady) ----winchester was the only choice when I bought mine. It is tough brass and now I have it formed out fully the thick necks have turned out to be a bonus - my rifle is very neat up the front end - cast boolits are just a neat slide fit in unsized case necks . I dont neck size but have made a little outside swage die and I run all rounds through that after loading - just in case I made a little bump on the neck in crimping ---like you have not lost any cases since I started shooting - some up to 6 or 7 loads and just looking nice.

larryo1
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 11:24:36 am »

Greyhawk:
I don't know why my cases lost that "Bulge" but they did.  Maybe I had my tongue in my cheek just so--anyway, Any bulge that there is there sure don't hurt the brass any.  My cases are both Remington and Winchester and in both cases, they work just fine for me.  I think--just maybe-- that the Remington cases are a wee bit tougher than the Winchester ones but that is my own opinion.  Anyway, they are a darn good substitute for the real thing if and when those are available agin.  Thanks for your comments.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: .45-75 Winchester brass « previous next »
Jump to: