Author Topic: Gun show find  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Gun show find
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:27:01 AM »
Went to the Kankakee gun show yesterday and saw something really awsome! Walkin past a table, I glanced over and saw an original '73 Winchester layin there. Well that naturally perked my interest, so I went over to look.
Layin on top of a bunch of papers was the rifle in what I would say was fair condition. Ok, so now I look at the papers. One was an authentication letter from Winchester-date of manufacture, delivery, etc. Second paper states that rifle was owned by a bank president. The bank was robbed by the Dalton gang, and they took the rifle too. It was recovered when the gang was killed. Pretty neet stuff!

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gun show find
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:36 PM »
I guess about 1975, an antique dealer friend of mine told me about an 1873 Winchester rifle he had found on a ranch in Deer Lodge (Montana).  He was on his way over to buy a load of antique furniture he had purchased from the family and wanted to know if I had any interest in the rifle.  Being a long time collector of '73 model rifles and carbines, of course I said yes.  We agreed on a purchase price and he brought the gun home, along with the furniture.  Turned out to be a standard rifle, 24" octagon, full mag in .44 caliber.  About 65% nice original blue including the receiver.  Tight and perfect mechanically, including original sights with excellent untouched wood.  Bore is near new.  This gun has two more things going for it.  The barrel is the heavier of the two srandard weights for the '73, at 27/32" across the muzzle.  Most were 23/32" across muzzle flat.  Believe me, there is a definate difference in the feel, when comparing these two barrel weights.  The other and most important difference as it turned out, was the small ranch brand burned into the stock near the butt plate.  It wasn't until years later that I found out the brand was a horse hip brand used by the Grant-Kohrs cattle ranch in Deer Lodge, back in the 1880-1890 period.  This rifle was made and shipped in 1887.  Yes, I still have it and it is an exceptional shooter.  Not bad for $300.00.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com