Author Topic: Useful Taylor's (Chiappa) Spencer 44-40 Loads  (Read 2021 times)

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Useful Taylor's (Chiappa) Spencer 44-40 Loads
« on: March 17, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »
Hi All,

I've be experimenting with smokeless and BP substitute loads for my 44-40 Taylor's Spencer.

I'm attaching two videos of my experiments.  

Target: 8in diameter steel target.
Range: 100yrds

1) Smokeless. 5.0 by weight Red Dot.  230 gr lead bullet.  Video here .

2) Triple-7 FFFG.  18gr by weight (not volume).  230 gr lead bullet.  Video here .

Hope someone can get some use from these loads.  If someone does use these loads I'd love to know how they do.

Pvt Greg

PS you may have to turn up the volume to hear the hits.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Useful Taylor's (Chiappa) Spencer 44-40 Loads
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
Hello:

Very impressive.  And in that wind, also!
Not that I doubted, BUT am amazed. Jaw dropping credibility, you have.
Range 100?

Any filler with your loads? Lube? Sized OD over bore? Twist?
Your loads use significantly less powder and make the powder cost approximately 10% of traditional black powder! Big deal.

I have shot for a long time and your two vid's will thrill me to my grave, and beyond.

VERY respectfully,
Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »
Very nice.  I use 5.3 gr. of Promo (interchangeable to Red Dot by weight) in my 44-40 1873 for cowboy.  According to the people at Alliant that should give me about 800 FPS. 
When I was shooting N-SSA with my 44-40 Henry I used 25gr. of real black powder (Goex) and 5 gr. of COW as a filler.
I only shot my Spencer live a few times.  Most of the time I was shooting blanks in my Armisport 44-40 Spencer.  It was a bunch of fun.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:04:53 PM »

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »
Thanks for your kind remarks Kevin.  Thats my home Club's range so that helps a whole lot!

The range is actually 101 yards by laser range finder from that station.  The wind was gusting up to 35 miles an hour (right to left from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock.  With a .230 grain bullet I didn't have to adjust much and I did try to wait out the gusts.

No filler in either load.  18gr Triple-7 FFFG just compresses at the OAL of my loads (1.577).  I had to aim at 6 0'clock so I'm going to try 16gr next.  The Red Dot load I aimed straight on.

I got the bullets from Meiseter Bullets.  .429 diameter, 230 gr.

I hope you can see the sight picture in the vid.  It's basically ladder up with the slider up out of the way & sighting in the bottom notch.

One thing I have noticed on both of my Taylor's Spencers.  Out of the box both shoot to well to the right.  I had to adjust the back site over to the right to get dead on.  I'd be curious if other Taylor's owners have noticed the same bias.

PvtGreg 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com