Author Topic: A little help please  (Read 1790 times)

Offline The Goose

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A little help please
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
I just acquired an original Spencer Carbine. It is a 56-50, the groove diameter is about .517 and it has 3 grooves. I got a center fire breech block and follower from Lodgewood. I bought some Starline brass, but am having some issues. When I try to chamber a case it will only go about half way in because the base is too thick. So I ran it up into a Lyman sizing die sitting on top of the shell plate so that it was sized all the way to the rim. I took the extractor out of my rifle because it is easier to work on that way. After sizing the case would chamber, but the rim was too thick. I chucked the case in my mini lathe and began thinning the rim gradually until it would chamber. After some playing around I had a case that would chamber. However, when I put the extractor back in the breech block would not fully close. I have ordered some Cerrosafe to take a chamber cast. Thought I would toss this out to this group and see if anyone has had a similar experience and any advice. Thank you in advance for your help.
"No matter what line we hand you when we come crawlin' in, we ain't wrong, we ain't sorry and it's probably gonna happen again. And that's the truth about men." Tracy Byrd

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
Re: A little help please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
Starline makes two different sets of brass for the Spencer.  One set is for originals and the other set is for the reproductions made by Armisport.  You may have purchased the wrong kind.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
If your Spencer has been dry-fired much the original firing pin can cause a dent that can make both the chamber and the rim seat slightly out of round.  If you turn the case rim small enough to clear the dent (which will be on the right side) then the rim could end up small enough so that the extractor cannot grab the case on the right side.

If you have the chamber dent, you need to address that if you want to shoot as a repeater.

What is the diameter of your reduced-size rim that barely fits the chamber?

--DJ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:10:00 PM »

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
I may have misread your post--if so, my apologies.

When you put the extractor back in and tried to close the breechblock, did you make sure the extractor was in front of and not behind the case?  If the case gets ahead of the extractor, the breech ordinarily will not close.  I'm assuming this is a model with the long, thin extractor on the left side that does not have the coiled spring that holds it forward.

--DJ

Offline The Goose

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
 Thanks for the ideas.
"No matter what line we hand you when we come crawlin' in, we ain't wrong, we ain't sorry and it's probably gonna happen again. And that's the truth about men." Tracy Byrd

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
Sorry, Major:
It may be Rocky Mountain Cartridge with different 56-50 brass cases for either originals/Romano's or Armisports versions.
Starline lists only one case that they describe as for originals, but may work in Armisports, depending upon extractor fit. 
RMC clearly shows two versions.

Respectfully,
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
Sorry, Major:
It may be Rocky Mountain Cartridge with different 56-50 brass cases for either originals/Romano's or Armisports versions.
Starline lists only one case that they describe as for originals, but may work in Armisports, depending upon extractor fit. 
RMC clearly shows two versions.

Respectfully,

mybe that is what I was remembering.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com