Author Topic: Barrel band front sight  (Read 4276 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Barrel band front sight
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
Please tell me about the Uberti Winchester '73's that have the front sight which is integral with the barrel band. It seems most or all of the shorter barrel versions are like this. Is this type of front sight non-adjustable? Did any original Winchester '73's have this type of front sight?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
Re: Barrel band front sight
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:26:59 PM »
The round barrel Uberti carbines have that sight (all of their octagon barrel guns have a dovetailed front sight).  On '73's the sight is sort of angular with a sloping top and straight down in the rear.  The versions they put on '66's is round, like a semicircle.

Nope, not adjustable, and the rear ladder sights are not elevation adjustable, either (not counting the ladder, but that is only for further distances than CAS).

I've added a brass bead to all three of my '73 carbines.

And yes, some of the original carbines had the integral sight/barrel band, while others had the sight attached to the barrel behind the barrel band.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »
OK.  The Uberti built 1873 Carbines and Trappers (real short carbines) as well as the Uberti built 1866 carbines and Trappers (really short carbines) have the front sight as an integral part of the front barrel band.  This sight is adjustable for windage by twisting the band on the barrel.  If you wish to replace it with a larger sight (Bead) you probably won't be able to get the attachment screw out and will have to drill it, ruining the band.

All of the real live honest to goodness really original Winchesters I've ever seen had the front sight either mounted solidly to the barrel or dovetailed to the barrel.

PS:  There are a whole lot of Original Winchesters out there which I haven't seen.  Don't quote me as "all encompassing"

PSS:  Abilene was typing as I was typing and he was faster on the Post It Note than I was.  Ain't this FUN!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:03:29 AM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:27 AM »
"I've added a brass bead to all three of my '73 carbines."

Why is that? Just for looks, or was it needed to adjust for elevation?

Coffin, thank you for the information. I don't think I'd want to have to replace the front sight. It's sounding like I'd be better off saving my money a little longer and getting a Sporting version. I do like the looks of the all blue carbine though.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
Bead is easier to pick up for CAS shooting.  Also, allows the front sight to be taller which it needed.  This one is a piece of 1/8" brass welding rod shaped and JB welded to the top of the sight.  On two others I have used a brass (Winchester) primer with the guts removed, notched on one side, and JB welded to the face of the sight at the top.  No pics of that.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
Please tell me about the Uberti Winchester '73's that have the front sight which is integral with the barrel band. It seems most or all of the shorter barrel versions are like this. Is this type of front sight non-adjustable? Did any original Winchester '73's have this type of front sight?

Yes First model and early second model original Winchester carbine style barrels had this sight.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
Speaking of Trappers ....... (Slight thread drift ... Don't look) .......I have and shoot three Trappers as Main Match Rifles.  None of them were built on Carbines.  They were all built from Rifles (Winchester did that too).  I started with 24inch barrel rifles to get the longer fore end (looks trix) and the octagon barrels.  Except for the Henry.  Came with an Octagonal barrel (imagine that) and NO fore end.  Really fun guns yepper.

Return to our regular programming  8)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
 Thanks Cliff. I found some examples with a search. That makes it more appealing to me, that it's a copy of an original variation.
So do these Uberti carbine versions always shoot high at close distances? What about at 50 -100 yards?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »
Well I'm not Cliff nor Abilene, but ... I would expect Uberti Carbines to shoot high at closer distances.  They are normally set up by Uberti with the trajectory of BP ammunition in mind.  Also, the BP ammunition in mind is 44 Henry Flat.  Not 45 Colt, nor 44 Special nor 38 Special.

Then we have to define "Closer Distances."  CAS??  10 to 15 paces.  At 10 to 15 paces, the guns don't shoot high enough to make a big difference.  At worst a "6" hold will give you a solid "KLANG" every time.  At 50 - 100 yards you'll be very close indeed.  There may well be somewhat of a difference between the Flat Top Ladder sight and the funky "flipper sight."

They are very nice fast handling rifles regardless.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Thanks Cliff. I found some examples with a search. That makes it more appealing to me, that it's a copy of an original variation.
So do these Uberti carbine versions always shoot high at close distances? What about at 50 -100 yards?

They almost always shoot high with the standard Uberti flip up ladder sight. Some more than others, just have to shoot it and file the rear sight until it's right at the distance you want. You always have the flip up option for longer distances.

I just received another one that I custom ordered with the rifle but stock and the carbine style barrel and sights. I have another one like that I built, very sweet handling.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »

As far as being a copy of an original variation the newer Ubertis with that style front sight are not a copy of any original with regards to the various features but they are very close to a second model within a small timeline of originals.

Saying that because the barrel band sight and that was only available with the style dust cover that is on the Ubertis for a year or so and that was on Second models with screwed on dust cover rail.

Sooo... they are fairly close to a small timeline of originals except the Uberti has the 3rd model dust cover rail made on the receiver. I guess you could drill and tap for some fake screws to make it look removable... but then it has to be a 32-20 caliber because of the Ubertis no longer having the compartment for cleaning rod in the stock and only the 32-20 didn't have that on the original Winchester 73s.

Bottom line is they are just that... replicas, not exact ones but the ubertis are fairly close.

The older Navy Arms Import Ubertis from the 70's had the carbines that were actually much closer to the 3rd model original. Had the front sight on the barrel instead of the band and even had the cleaning rod compartment in the butt stock. I have one of those. And I should also add they were only more accurate on outward appearance because the internal bolt and firing pin extension setup on those was even farther from the original design than the current made Ubertis.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com