Author Topic: 2018 Winchesters  (Read 5860 times)

Offline dutch harbor john

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2018 Winchesters
« on: February 20, 2018, 01:12:28 AM »
On the Winchester Repeating Arms website there is a section titled "New for 2018". They show the73 models sporting, short rifle and the carbine. The text on the short rifle and sporting models advertise the 2 models having a tang safety. The safety is not  mentioned in the carbine`s description but they do say the tang is predrilled for a tang sight. Looking at the carbine pictures it is not clear if a safety is present or not. What are your thoughts on this? I do see the front sight is in front of the barrel band instead on the band which is good. Maybe we have a 73 Win without the tang safety and rebounding hammer, one can only hope.
dhj

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 2018 Winchesters
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
Ah well, to date, I haven't seen any of the new manufacture Miroku 1873s with a tang safety.  I admit, I haven't seen them all, mind, but the one's I have seen didn't have a tang safety.  The Miroku 1866 doesn't either.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
No tang safety? what is the world coming too?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:30:38 AM »

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »
I had a Miroku 73 in .44-40 and I now have a 66 in .38 spl, neither had tang safeties!
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
And in .357/.38 Spcl. only.  :(

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
If you click on the more options tab it shows the 44-40 and 45 colt
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »
So I assume the new 73 winchesters are a close copy of the originals, not perfect but close.  I thank you all for your expertise.
dhj

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
So I assume the new 73 winchesters are a close copy of the originals, not perfect but close.  I thank you all for your expertise.
dhj

The Uberti is a closer copy than the "Winchester."

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »
Thanks Pettifogger, like to have a 73 in .44 wcf someday.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
dhj

In outward appearance from 50 feet away. Otherwise no. If you want a modern close copy of an original 73 buy a Uberti.

Once in a while I get the urge to buy one because every other Miroku made gun I've owned has been of high quality but when it comes to the old west type guns I'm too much of a purist to allow myself to buy the Miroku 73. Every time I fondle one trying to fall in love with it I always come to the conclusion I think they flubbed up on this ones design. At least most of the little differences on a Uberti from the Original can be considered improvements.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
HOLD     THE     PHONE  ..  :o .. er TELEGRAPH .......

PLUS ONE to PETTIFOGGER !!  (Why am I always agreeing wid Pettifogger??) and to C. Fendley

There is a large following of aficanadsoes whom are just disgustingly CHAMPIONS of the Miroku Winchester '73/66.  Calling them nearly perfect (GAG).  NICE .. yes.  Well finished .. you betcha .. a close copy of the One, The Only, the Greatest Winchester!!  Ah, well, NO WAY.

Miroku Winchester:
Externally, from 6 feet, really close.  Well finished.  Internally .... not so fast pardner.  Internally, Miroku copied ... TA DA .... Uberti.  Separate Firing Pin with return spring, Firing Pin Extension Rod ... Uberti.  Safety crap in the extension rod ... an underutilized engineer needed something to do.  Pet Peeve:  It's not a Winchester.  Winchester doesn't make guns.  It's a Miroku.

Uberti:
Externally, from 3 feet, really really close.  Well finished.  That ugly Uberti reddish stain/filler is actually pretty close to original, like it or not.  Internally, Uberti re-engineered the ignition system.  Probably to make manufacture cheaper/easier.  The separate Firing Pin with return spring and Firing Pin Extension Rod works.  Nobody ever calls it anything other than a Uberti.  So There.

Biggest Bang for YOUR buck:
Flip a coin.  Biggest bang is by giving either of them a first class action job.  Re-work ALL the springs, some judicious rubbin-n-buffin and you will need a lever wrap.  It will run so light you WILL hurt your fingers running then fast.  And they WILL run FAST.  There are considerable more speed parts available for Uberti.  Miroku not so much.  Miroku is very difficult to set up for Short Stroke.

By the way ........ The closest reproduction of the Original Winchester was the Chaparral.  Very close indeed.  Very poorly made with KRAP for quality control.  Manufactured in the Armi San Marco plant.  A real shame.  Such Promises 

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
I have one in .44-40, no tang safety. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
 MR. Coffinmaker ,,finally,, the " TRUTH " doth come out. The '" Chaparral " ( scourge of the gun world ) " WAS,,IS " the closest rifle made to the original "WINCHESTER " ,,,I have used original Win. parts ,bought from different places , to replace parts on my Chappie  they all fit with just the smallest amount of adjustment .
 I also agree with you "SIR " such promise .

coffee's ready ,,, Hootmix.

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 01:30:03 AM »
My information on the Chaparral was that the parts were made in Italy by Palmetto and shipped to Germany for assembly. This came from a director of one of the current reproduction manufacturers.

Chance

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »
The actual origin of Chaparral has become ........ moot.  Research at the time Chaparral was still sort of in business, indicated the Chaparral offerings were coming out of the same facility that was Armi San Marco.  With some of the old original suspects in management as well as some brand new suspects.  The quality control was however, still non existent.  At this point ..... WHO CARES.

Bottom line.  The Chaparral guns were terrible.  Everything that should possibly be done wrong ...... was.  As with ASM, Chaparral parts didn't fit Chaparral guns.  The replacement parts, intended to "fix" defects and problems were for the most part, worse than the parts they were intended to replace.  Several of us (gunplumbers) cranked up our lathes and mills and made out own parts.  It did however, begin to cost more to make a Chaparral work than the original purchase price.  We quit working on them.  Junque.

Now, where were we.  Oh yea.  2018 Winchesters

Nice looking rifles.  Well made.  Nice wood.  Really hard to make em run fast.  Cleaning up the springs (normal) will make them run pretty good.  If you want a '73 that really really runs, start with a Uberti. 

Offline Roundsworth

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 07:20:15 AM »
The only complaint I have with my 1873 rifle is the front sight. The huge gap between the barrel and sight blade is unacceptable. I replaced mine with a nice reproduction of the original No. 21 Sporting Sight.
GMC(SW) - USN, Retired

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com