Author Topic: Double creaser  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Double creaser
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »
Not sure if it would work, but has anybody tried using a tool thats made for rolling the spline into the groove when installing a new screen in a frame?
Was reading thru the back pages, and saw where a bunch of ya were talking bout embossin wheels and such, and it got me thinkin, that tool is made a lot like one. One end is rounded, and the other is a u shaped groove. Not sure if they make different sizes or not, the ones I've seen are about 1/8" groove.
Just an idea.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: Double creaser
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
Been there; tried that; for years; and it never really worked (for me) as a double line creaser.

The side edges did not have enough body to created good looking creases.  Plus the center concave was not deep enough to create a good looking raised divide.
Black River Smith

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
I'm confused are you talking about a beader? I think I know what you're talking about but I'm too dumb to post pictures right now I guess I need to relearn it now that photobucket changed things up. :-\

I think I have a tool you're talking about but it doesn't have a deep enough groove in the wheel to make a nice bead on the leather. I have tooled with the idea of making one by turning the wheel on a lathe to cut a deeper groove. I think if you had one with a deep enough and right shaped groove it would work well just like an embossing wheel.

The only thing is as with many embossing wheels you don't always get that burnished effect in the groove like you get when actually rubbing properly cased leather. I like the way that burnished effect shows up on some leathers depending on what my final color will be.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:26:27 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
I not sure if this is what you are thinking of but here is a post I made many years ago:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,22668.0.html

I seem to remember that my idea was rather difficult to use so I didn't do much with it.

Outrider and WC had some good suggestions.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »
I think I understand what you're talking about.  I guess I'll know if I'm right, after this post.  First of all, I make all of my own creasers, according to the width of the parallel grooves I want.  A small rat tail file and emory cloth is needed.  Believe it or not, I use the spikes that are used to hold concret forms in place.  The shaft and head diameter are perfect for making one, two, or three line creasers.  And they fit perfectly into Osbourne creaser or edger handles.  Cut the grooves as per your specs, polish them so they are glass smooth and go to work.  I've made several over the past 40 years and they work perfectly.  If you don't want or have the ability to do this on your own, get in touch with McMillan tool.  They can help you out at a price.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com