Author Topic: What's the differance between NCOWS and SASS?  (Read 15743 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: What's the differance between NCOWS and SASS?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »
Yes, we have a gunfighter who uses a tang sighted Marlin and a hammer double. He seldom misses but you can use a sundial to time him.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
That sounds about  like me only they use a calendar to time me when I shoot SASS!
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
We shoot at our local matches and two other locations under SASS organization and rules.  The two other locations are more "old school" SASS with rifle targets further out,  smaller pistol targets,  etc. 

All three clubs have pretty much done away with stunts or props on or off the clock.   All three have more start positions at port arms or at the ready.  Our club have aquired some larger rectangular targets that replaced the odd shaped pans, coffee pots, animal, and Evil Roy targets.   

There are folks of conflicting opinion when it comes to big and close vs smaller targets at longer range and more challenging positions.  The big and close faction point out it attracts younger shooters.  I don't know if the statistics prove their point.  But we are losing members due to aging and the few we're gaining are generally at retirement age already.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:59:30 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 03:54:00 PM »
Ours , whether SASS or NCOWs is in it's last Hurrah ....  

If one uses a realistic average ...   say   77 VS  45 = a 61 year old on average shooter...
(just look at the listed ages on Board members on CAS City )

Sure there are a few  17 -18 year olds .... and few 80 year olds  and fewer all the time...  :(

Youths & millennials  have Video games ,  roll playing Cosplay,  maybe Paintball or Airsoft .

But CAS not so much at all .... sure a few come out a few times with Granddad to see or try CAS....
too few ever hang on to be come regulars .....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »
When I put on a NCOWS shoot it will not be all 10,10,4. There will be a stage with a pocket pistol
and maybe one with a buffalo gun. I usually plan the whole shoot on a certain theme, for instance
the buffalo hunting era, and each stage will be based on an actual event, including the story before
the stage starts.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
I gave up on CAS in 1994 because the "IPSC in boots" thing was looming large on the horizon. I understand NCOWS got it's start in '94 but it was a long way from Southern Arizona and I never heard about it. Had I, I might have been tempted to start a group in my area.

Oh well, that water has long since passed under the bridge...and the bridge got swept away in a flash flood! (smile)

Dave

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
The SASS club that I belong to is also very small with most of the members being retired.  I haven’t been able to shoot much lately for two reasons.  First the weather.  Lots of snow and cold here in NY and about a month ago I had shoulder replacement surgery.  This has also stopped any Skeet or Trap shooting for me.  About 3 days ago I went to the indoor range at my club and shot my new Uberti Gunfighters in the Duelist style with my left hand only.  I can’t quite pick up or hold steady the pistol with my right hand yet.
It was fun getting back into shooting something.  I still plan on shooting SASS next summer and I have a great time doing it.  But the politics in the organization is starting to bother me.  Along with the fact that I am not really a member but am actually a customer of a large corporation.
I like the idea of doing not just shooting but also reenacting.  To this end for the last 2 summers I have been with a cowboy reenactment group called “Shadows of the old West”.   They are not really local to me and most events I have gone to are 150+ miles away, but I always have fun when I go.  Also for the last 3 years I have had an opportunity to fill in at a local theme park that has a “Wild West Shoot Out” show.  But the park was recently sold and purchased by a California company and they are trying to make the shows more “kid friendly”.  They even asked the show manager if he could do the shows without guns!  Hopefully when these Liberals run the park into  the ground the previous owner can buy it back and get all the PC stuff out of there.
I just wish there was a NCOWS club in my area that I could shoot and reenact with.  Oh well, maybe some day.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »
...There are folks of conflicting opinion when it comes to big and close vs smaller targets at longer range and more challenging positions.  The big and close faction point out it attracts younger shooters.  I don't know if the statistics prove their point.  But we are losing members due to aging and the few we're gaining are generally at retirement age already.

Most of the clubs around here are still a little bit challenging.  One has gone to pistol targets at 5 yds and rifle at 10 yds, but they are not huge targets.  I sign up for sharpshooter class at that club which shoots pistols at the rifle targets, and rifles at the Cody-Dixon targets.  Personally, I would like to have one stage in a match that has big and close, just to see how fast I could shoot.  :)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »
You hit the nail on the head there Major2. When the guys and girls who grew up loving western tv shows and western history leave town, cas will fade away.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »

I often think of this when I see all the grey hairs at an event. We are definitely a dying breed. I just recently took up Trap and it is really an old man's game.

The cost of the guns and ammo are definitely factors as well as the fact that while we were raised to regard guns as symbols of freedom, now they are the devil's right hand.

In Kanuckistan you cannot own a gun without the express permission of the government who then tells you what guns you can own and under what conditions they must be stored, transported and used.

We are regarded as criminals and terrorists in waiting. The penalty for the paper crime of letting your licence expire is a max of 10 years. Criminals get sentenced to far less for committing serious crimes.

Governments that don't trust their citizens with guns are themselves untrustworthy. That's why you have your 2nd amendment.

Ours , whether SASS or NCOWs is in it's last Hurrah ....  

If one uses a realistic average ...   say   77 VS  45 = a 61 year old on average shooter...
(just look at the listed ages on Board members on CAS City )

Sure there are a few  17 -18 year olds .... and few 80 year olds  and fewer all the time...  :(

Youths & millennials  have Video games ,  roll playing Cosplay,  maybe Paintball or Airsoft .

But CAS not so much at all .... sure a few come out a few times with Granddad to see or try CAS....
too few ever hang on to be come regulars .....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 02:19:48 AM »
21 century Cowboy Action Shooting  ::)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 08:34:53 AM »
Hopefully they will talk about the old codgers who invented the texas star, those cowboy and indian targets and those weird old timey guns that they used.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
Day-glo Green AR with orange muzzle  ::)  weird

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
When I put on a NCOWS shoot it will not be all 10,10,4. There will be a stage with a pocket pistol
and maybe one with a buffalo gun. I usually plan the whole shoot on a certain theme, for instance
the buffalo hunting era, and each stage will be based on an actual event, including the story before
the stage starts.
Beartooth Billy wrote the stages for the 2017 NCOWS Nationals. The stages were based on actual events that occurred during the Buffalo Hunting era.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
Lustrum or so ago when I retired, I would occasionally mention to friends attending a CAS match, "This Game is slowly Dying."  Was told how full of crap I was.  Well, CAS and NCOWS are dying.  Kicking, Screaming, Clawing and Scratching, but Dying none the less.  It's inevitable.  Those of "us" who grew up on Saturday Matinees of "B" Westerns, then TV Westerns (all of which are now dead) and make up the vast majority of CAS and NCOWS have gotten ...... OLD.  Youth is not enamored of this game.  Youth is not fascinated with the history of western expansion and the like.  Their cup of tea is "Tron."

When I started in this game, we were all ....... young(er).  Much younger.  If we looked down the firing line, at the loading tables, at the lunch tables, guys and gals over 35 were the exception and age based categories had few takers.  If we take the time to look down the line today, well, it seems all those you folks got ..... old.  Major match = 6 Gunfighters.  16 Senior Giunfighters and Silver Seniors and ....

So don't blink.  It will all be gone.  Let us enjoy it while we can.  Big and Close, Small and Far, are of no account.  The idea is get out and play while you still can.  It may not be played the way you think it should be played, but quit bellyaching 'cause we're on borrowed time.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
Mike makes a very good point....
"It may not be played the way you think it should be played, but quit bellyaching 'cause we're on borrowed time. "

I'm just happy it's still played at all .... what with Liberal Grabbers, transport laws,  Loading component shortages,  add in travel costs and our ages.... ::)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
I don't like all these comments about us being old.  I'm only... well, I'm not going to say how old I am, but I'm NOT old.  Well, not THAT old.  At least compared to some people I know (in the local nursing home).   ;D

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »
The Johnson County Rangers in Kentucky put on a great 3 day shoot each fall.  They may be close enough for you to attend since is a multi day shoot.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »
I don't like all these comments about us being old.  I'm only... well, I'm not going to say how old I am, but I'm NOT old.  Well, not THAT old.  At least compared to some people I know (in the local nursing home).   ;D

CC Griff

I'd like to point out... like fine wine , you aged well  ;D

I manage a young crowd.... as they have & tend count their B'days ...."if" they announce their age on that "momentous" day  ...
 I point out I have "socks" older that THAT !

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 06:35:22 PM »
Age is a state of mind, the trouble is my mind and my body are no where near the same age.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com