Author Topic: Uberti 1883 Burgess  (Read 9088 times)

Offline 41Thuer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 1883 Burgess
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
I realise this may have been done to death but please cut me a little slack as I search for a solution to my problem.

I have what I believe to be the only one of these rifles - a carbine in .45 Colt - in shootable (or non-shootable as you will see) condition in the UK. The importer brought in four examples around 2010 and I grabbed one for a magazine review. I did not put a great deal of rounds through it but was very impressed. I returned it to the shop and all four were subsequently sold but almost immediately complaints began to come in. Shooters complained of light strikes and it seemed that the odd shaped firing pin was bending at the arch. Bottom line was that all guns were returned and purchasers refunded the cash.
Much communication with Uberti and several new firing pins failed to solve the problem with the result that three of the guns were de-activated (for that read butchered, cut and made into wall hangers). A couple of weeks ago I found out that the fourth gun was still in the importer's possession and made an offer for it which was accepted.

What I would like to know if any one over there has had this problem and if so is there a remedy? I tried the gun last week and sure enough had failed ignitions. I have a new firing pin but do not want to put it in the rifle and risk bending it as I think it's the last one available short of paying $50 for another. It is possible that I can get one made from a stronger material but I'm looking to see who runs this model over there and how you find it. I'm not looking for a speed gun, I'd just like it to go off every time I pull the trigger.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

41 Thuer

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Uberti 1883 Burgess
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
I did an article for the Cowboy Chronicle when these first came out.  Like many things I think the early ones had problems and Uberti ultimately fixed them.  You see very few of them as they are not terribly reliable and cannot be shot fast in competition.  If you try to have a firing pin made that $50.00 is going to look real cheap.  I suspect the pins were cast and the problem was with the heat treat.  The first photo shows the firing pin.  The second shows the mainspring that has multibends in it.  This caused some light strikes because it hit the pin it was bent to go over and this lightened the strike.  The weak point when these were first introduced was the ejector, which is the round plunger sticking out of the face of the bolt.  This was very brittle and broke after just a moderate amount of shooting.  They are not popular so I have not messed with one in several years. 

Offline 41Thuer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 03:42:23 AM »
Thanks, Pettifogger
I saw your article and printed it. I hoped there would be one or two folks using them that could come up with a cure. I can probably get the firing pin made for free.

41Thuer

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:36:41 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
 Hey 41..I would check the length of the fireing pin ..use a case w/o a primer..put a piece of tape ( masking- painter's tape  their about .005 ths. thick ) over primer hole ..see if it punches all the way thru the tape.. no need to keep bending fireing pins ..just cause the NEW pin is new don't mean it's right ,,,for that rifle . I'd like to see a pic. of your FP's ( bent and new ).
 Mr. pettifogger knows way more than I do about these rifles,,( He has helped me a whole lot w/ other problems ) NO--- I don't own one...yet... just looking at your problem at a diff. angle.

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply Slamfire. I'll get on it tomorrow.

Chance (reverted to old alias)

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 04:50:53 AM »
Couple of photos. The pin is new. I am loathe to put it in the rifle at this time in case it goes.

You can see the light strike on the case on the right. I am not sure whether the pins bend permanently or whether they are flexing after a little use. I am trying to get one of the old pins from the supplier.

Chance

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
 Think the " Mr. Pettifogger" may be right...I looked up the said article.." bad heat treat ". My first look at that FP...sure different looking .

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »
Pulled this rifle apart tonight and the mainspring is a standard Winchester style. Trying to get the screw out that holds the firing pin in place I broke a Forster's driver!

Chance

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:21:51 PM »
If that is the spring in your rifle it might explain the bent firing pins and the light strikes.  That is not the correct spring.

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 02:56:09 AM »
I have a breakdown diagram from the Uberti site and this is the pin shown.

Chance

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 10:51:27 PM »
 Hey Chance,,, go to page 6 of Gun Reviews and scroll down to Burgess Rifle posted by "NCRanger" Nov.-16-2011 might be of help.

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
Thanks for that, Slamfire. Everything I read seems to be bad - how come they are still selling this rifle in the US?

Chance

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
Thanks for that, Slamfire. Everything I read seems to be bad - how come they are still selling this rifle in the US?

Chance

They sell very few.  Not everyone uses these reproductions for cowboy shooting.  Some people just want an old style lever gun for informal plinking and hunting. 

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »
That's exactly what this one will be used for - a bit of plinking indoors and out.

Chance

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »

Trust me (The most frightening words in politics), the importers are just selling off existing stock.  When the first "run" of Burgess rifles are gone, they will be "Darwin."

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
 HEY !! Chance don't give up on that one I "have more faith in you than you do",,sometimes  the best soul-ation  to a problem is to work on something else then " the light comes on " (that's when we slap our head-duh ". 

smoke'm if y'a got'm ,,,,Hootmix.

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
Don't worry, Slamfire, I'm not giving up. Between myself and a young gun enthusiast/engineer we will get this piece running. May take a while but the work starts tomorrow. I could de-activate it and double my money but I am a lever action/Uberti/Colt fan so this thing is gonna work!

Chance

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
Trust me (The most frightening words in politics), the importers are just selling off existing stock.  When the first "run" of Burgess rifles are gone, they will be "Darwin."

Selling off stock after eight years?  ???  It is still advertised on the Uberti site.

Chance

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
My young friend polished the internals of this rifle and made one or two 'adjustments' to a couple of small parts. Took it out today and ran 100 rounds through it without missing a beat.

Chance

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
My young friend polished the internals of this rifle and made one or two 'adjustments' to a couple of small parts. Took it out today and ran 100 rounds through it without missing a beat.

Chance

Excellent!  It might be helpful for others if you could give specifics of the work done.  There may be others pounding their heads against the wall trying to figure it out.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com