Author Topic: Goldrush era  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Goldrush era
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:04:01 AM »
Well,
I picked this up at a sale.  I looked at it and this popped into my mind, "I got me a .22 pepperbox here. This thing shoots five times, sometimes all at once. It is called a lady’s companion, and that is what I intend it be used for when I leave you two off. Back in Fort Smith, there is a sporting lady named Big Faye. She was shot twice with this thing. But she dresses out at about 290, so none of the bullets found there way to any of the vitals. ‘gainst ordinary people, this provides good service. Now I want you to protect sister with it."    I have not had a chance to shoot it, but it came with some 22 cal. balls.   Action is smooth as a baby's behind.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Goldrush era
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »
Now that,  is a really neat find.  I wouldn't have a real reason for it except it is really NEAT!!!

PS:  Forgot .... The real Hot Ticket in the Gold Fields was the 1849 Colt.  Sold way out west for two to four times the Eastern prices.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
I've got one just like it.  No markings what so ever.
Let me know how it shoots.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:02:40 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
I 'think' these were built for 'Classic Arms' - back in the 1980s - and no, they weren't the kit sold by them.

An old 'Dixie Gun Works' catalog should show them.

Scouts Out
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:18:35 PM »
I have two of the kit ones (have been a sucker for pepperboxes for a long time).  One works and the other will work if the moon is in a waning position in Aquarius and you shoot it holding your left foot in your right hand.  Makes a great anchor if you have a 🛶.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:55:09 PM »

Good Grief Mogo, I am thankful I had just set my evening Lemonade down and swallowed.

That were FUNNY RIGHT THERE!!

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »
It would seem that the Pepperbox was one of the first handguns available in California. There is an old gun shop in Coloma Ca. established in 1849 by Frank Bekeart. Frank started in the firearms business with 200 Allen Peperbox and 200 Colt Paterson revolvers. Frank retired from the gun trade in San Francisco, Ca. in 1890. Mark Twain wrote about his experience  with the pepperbox saying to aim along the turning barrel and hit the thing aimed at was a feat which was probably never done with an Allen. It was a cheerful weapon - the Allen. Sometimes all it's six barrels would go off at once, and there was no safe place in all the region round about.     Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
The Pepperbox type handguns are period to the Paterson Colts. But by the time the 1848/49 Pocket revolver and 1851's come into usage in the Cal. goldfields, a revolver known as the "Transitional Revolver" was being imported from Europe. These are very much like the Pepperbox's.
The Barrel Group Assembly was shortened to be like that of the cylinder of the Colt type revolver and a separate single barrel hung off of what was now the cylinder pin.
I only know of these as "Transitional Revolver". No one seems to have patented them like "Colt" had.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com