Author Topic: Which brass 45/70??  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Which brass 45/70??
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »
Slamfire , the 40-65 brass for this highwall runs just a touch over  2.1.
 Was wondering if maybe the Hornady leverevolution brass that folks who don't reload are prone to sell would be a good candidate for your 76?
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
 O'l son if this bunch of new brass don't work out...I'll be prone to find out .. new brass suppose to be here next week ( long wait ).
 Bought from a feller who was cleaning out some of his stuff..said new never loaded.
 Don't really know anything about HW's..is it a diff. cartridge than our levers ?  Maybe brass is like unto auto's...never buy anything made on Friday's or Monday's.( ha-ha-ha-ha ).

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 01:22:21 PM »
I think most of the single shots use a bit longer chamber than the leverguns. Altho I do think CPA has gone back to the "winchester" chamber. I do know that it's next to impossible to use brass fired in the CPA in the CSA,,, sold the CPA and a couple hundred fire formed brass..
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:58:25 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 05:55:54 PM »
 Hey GreyHawk.. not to get into you and your friends " business " I was loading a few 40/60's ( 1hr. ago )sooooo ..I cut down 45/70's measured rim thickness and weighted w/ no primers on digital scales .

Starline................... .062 thick.........179.+
  R-P............................065 ...............172.+
  Jamison .................... .055 .............189++ ( this brass is head stamped 40/60 )
  WW     ...................... .065 ............. 167 +

Now my chaparral is a garbage desposal it will smoothly load all of the above but The Jamison leaves to much head space for " MY rifle " so the search for what is best suited  for each fire arm is part of the"RIDE" and you know Momma said" never argue with someone...when you know your right" ( ha-ha-ha-ha ).

I really enjoy realoading   and I know I'v got a lot to learn ,, this place has been a great place to visit w/ folks who enjoy reloading also. 

smok'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

smoke'm if y'a got'm Hootmix.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 12:51:04 AM »
Hey GreyHawk.. not to get into you and your friends " business " I was loading a few 40/60's ( 1hr. ago )sooooo ..I cut down 45/70's measured rim thickness and weighted w/ no primers on digital scales .

Starline................... .062 thick.........179.+
  R-P............................065 ...............172.+
  Jamison .................... .055 .............189++ ( this brass is head stamped 40/60 )
  WW     ...................... .065 ............. 167 +

Now my chaparral is a garbage desposal it will smoothly load all of the above but The Jamison leaves to much head space for " MY rifle " so the search for what is best suited  for each fire arm is part of the"RIDE" and you know Momma said" never argue with someone...when you know your right" ( ha-ha-ha-ha ).

I really enjoy realoading   and I know I'v got a lot to learn ,, this place has been a great place to visit w/ folks who enjoy reloading also. 

smok'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Friends Business??? - ahh - I just tell him ya gettin old ya loosin it - he sez - yeah - I'm gonna be still here when you go 80 n I am gonna enjoy that --- this feller is a fit lookin 80 - he might be right - we have some fun !!

That difference from Winchester to Jamison is scary - ten thou on the rim and twenty odd grains of case ---- anyway all this taught me a lesson - I will make a proper headspace gauge if I do another rebarrel job - otherwise that rifle came up real nice - maybe winchester brass is the answer  - will try that sometime soon.
cheers
greyhawk

smoke'm if y'a got'm Hootmix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com