Author Topic: 1876 "Roosevelt Model" anyone......?  (Read 4690 times)

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 "Roosevelt Model" anyone......?
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:23:04 AM »
Has anyone else heard about Cimarron Arms doing a "Roosevelt" model consisting of a half round/half oct short mag? I've been trying to get on their website and I've been hitting glitches and failures to get on and haven't seen anything from "Shot 2018" either...........anyone??

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: 1876 "Roosevelt Model" anyone......?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:25 AM »
The other day a friend sent me a short clip of the shot show and the Cimarron guy had one and showed it a bit said it was coming out soon . Was checkered  and engraved laser I think, and HRHO 45/75 wcf . A real nice looking rifle . I may have to drive over to Fredricksburg  Cimarron when they are in stock . ,,,,DT

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
Any chance at a photo(s)?!?!?!?!?!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:56:17 AM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
Or a link to clip that would be great?

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:44:11 PM »
Wish I could , but cant post pics . anymore . I saw it on a short video on Face Book that the Cody firearms museum had posted along with Cimarron Arms . Just watched it again , its a beauty . Someone may be able to post the video . Not Me ! ,,,DT

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »
One of these beauts?
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the referral to the youtube video you mentioned. I saw the presentation, the "spokesperson" was a little on the "nudnick" side , seemed like a nice enough guy but not necessarily a spokesperson or a salesman. As to the "Roosevelt" reproduction it looked pretty nice.  They had cased colored frame and was engraved to boot. Both the buttstock and the fore-end were checkered and it had a high gloss finish to it. Naturally, it had a button mag which the spokesman referred to as a "bullnose".....?  But it was a really long and big gun. I was hopeful that the barrel would've been shorter more like the carbine or even the "presidio" model, but I guess they did exactly what the Teddy gun was. Seemed a bit ungainly and unwieldy ..............I have to see it up close I think as whether I'd lay down the cash for this one. I love the several rifles that other members on this page have done with short rifles and button mags and I suppose I was hopeful that there would be one that made it to production. Just my two cents. Again thanks for the referral. Regards

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
I never heard him say the barrel length  on that one , but it did look long . Didn't see the but plate on the Uberti , the TR original had a Shotgun But . On my two  button mag 1876 Win. rifles the 50/95 has a 24" barrel shoots great and handles great . The little parts gun I built  has a short forearm and 22" round barrel in 45/60 wcf handles like a dream , still working up a good load for it , but its showing promise. I look forward to seeing the production gun Cimarron comes out with . ,,,DT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »
I'm curious about this one too.  I've been a fan of TR for quite a number of years and I think a repro of one of his rifles would be cool.  On the other hand, his were almost all custom rifles, "stocked and sighted to suit myself", as he used to say.  I think that TR and I would differ in what would "suit" us.  You're right that he strongly favored shotgun butts and half-magazines.  The shotgun butt is fine, but I generally like full magazines.  He also like engraving and often had some kind of presentation plate on the stock.  Some of those just had engravings of animals, but he often gave rifles as gifts and had that info engraved on the plates.  I admire engraved guns, but I tend to prefer plain guns myself.

I haven't seen the video mentioned.  Does someone have a link?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »
I have a couple of George Madis Winchester books that show the TR 1876 Winchester  45/75  rifle in great detail . The rifle is a beautiful piece . There is another 1876 Winchester that he gave someone as a presentation rilfe , it was a 40/60 wcf and looked a lot like the 76 he made famous . One of many he gave away . There was a time that I wouldn't even give a half mag. a second look , its funny I still like my 76 rifles as standard full length full mag rifles  , but can say I have acquired a taste for the half mags or button mags  also. Heck my newest old 76 is a Extra Heavy barrel full mag . 45/75 that weighs a ton. I like it too.,,,,DT

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
I am very partial to half magazine Winchesters. My favorite "walk around the ranch" rifle is an 1892 44wcf with button mag, full length round barrel, rifle butt, Lyman 21 rear. Youngest daughter's favorite is a Winchester 53 25-20 which is just a 92 with button mag and shotgun butt. I like model 64's and 55's. But I feel like I captured the flag when I got the 1876 45-75 with a button mag, full length octagon barrel, rifle butt, Lyman sights front and rear. It feels so much better balanced to me. I have the exact same gun except with a full length magazine and I prefer to carry the button mag gun. We all have regrets about the guns we didn't buy when we saw them and had the money.  Mine are a button mag 1873 and a button mag 1886.  oh well.
So Dusty If they have a Roosevelt model to look at in Fredyburg, we can meet at the Art post office some day and go look at it. I may "need" one.
John

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
I would like that . Lets plan on doing that in a month or so .,,,DT   PS. I agree with the 76 button mag . as the better handling rifle hands down . ,,DT

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »
I saw and handled one at the annual meeting in Dallas. It is very pretty. Very well finished and engraved.  However it does have a straight grip and a rifle butt stock. I was hopeful that it would be a shotgun butt and pistol grip. It is not enough different from my 1/2 magazine from 1881 to tempt me yet.
Jthbjr
In beautiful ( just got 2" of rain) Art, Texas

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 11:31:00 AM »
Well, that's too bad.  If you're going to do a commemorative "reproduction" of a famous rifle, why would you not stock it properly?  Obviously they knew going into it that TR's rifles were pistol gripped with a shotgun butt. Maybe it's a work in progress and they'll do a pistol grip version eventually.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
I saw and handled one at the annual meeting in Dallas. It is very pretty. Very well finished and engraved.  However it does have a straight grip and a rifle butt stock. I was hopeful that it would be a shotgun butt and pistol grip. It is not enough different from my 1/2 magazine from 1881 to tempt me yet.
Jthbjr
In beautiful ( just got 2" of rain) Art, Texas 
                                                                    Uberti should have made the Roosevelt model  in Pistol grip .That may have been a big + for them in the sales of that special model  . Oh well think they missed it with the straight stock . Just my 2cent .            Thank God for that rain  ,,,DT 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com