Author Topic: Brewing Walnut Dye with Black Walnut Hull Powder & Black Walnut Hulls  (Read 10581 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Brewing Walnut Dye with Black Walnut Hull Powder
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »
These natural home made dyes are just the best for lasting color that only gets nicer with age, using the green walnut hulls make such a big difference in getting that dark rich color, over not using green hulls, nice work Johnny, and thanks for sharing your method..you should have enough dye to last a long time..

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 11:31:30 PM »
Fine work, pard. Good explanation, too. Thanks for sharing this with us.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Wallace Foster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »
I have been using a coffee vinegar mixture recipe I got off here and I am very happy with the results, here is my latest after a couple hours and not completely dry.

And just to add my work is not up to par with the rest of your stuff on here but I am slowly learning

Advertising

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
Very nice dye job, WF. Looks really good. And your work is fine. That's a cool holster.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: Brewing Walnut Dye with Black Walnut Hull Powder & Black Walnut Hulls
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »
Here is a Slim Jim I finished for an upcoming NCOWS Convention raffle. I've found that my current batch of Walnut Dye (brewed with actual Walnut Hulls) is on the strong side. Also every hide seems to react differently. What I've got in the habit of doing is testing small pieces from the specific project before dyeing. I tested this one at two, four and six hour immersion times. This Holster was immersed in the Walnut dye for 1-1/2 hours followed by two coats of Neet's Foot Oil and two coats of Skidmores. It has some variance in color probably due to my overdoing the first coat of Neets but I am getting closed to the color I'm looking for.

The first picture shows the Holster after drying but before oiling along with the two hour sample.

I wish I were a better Photographer. The pictures do not show the colors as they actually look. The six hour sample was the darkest.

I'm also following Cliff Fendley's advice. I have two five gallon buckets of Walnut Hulls brewing outside over the winter.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 07:29:00 PM »
Looks great. Someone is going to get a fine holster, there. Thanks for the pics.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
Looking good Johnny. I've got two new buckets brewing this winter as well. Been a good winter weather for brewing dye here. Lots of freezing and thawing and temperature swings. Typical for Kentucky but this winter especially. Good for aging bourbon and making homemade walnut stain ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com