Author Topic: Colt Custom Shop sold off their spare parts  (Read 8337 times)

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Colt Custom Shop sold off their spare parts
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:37:20 PM »
I already posted this on the Colt Forum, but it bears mention here as well.  I don't know what significance this holds, but "Old Western Scrounger" purchased all of the Colt Custom Shop's spare parts, and they're selling them on Ebay under the username "us2015.valmo".

I recently purchased a replacement .44-40 cylinder from that Ebay user, and I had no idea at the time that this was "Old Western Scrounger".  I purchased the cylinder in order to fit it to my 1983 manufactured .44 Spl. Colt SAA, so I'd have dual caliber capability with this Colt and a companion sidearm whenever I took my Miroku '66 (in .44-40) out.   

Yes, it is "in the white", but that was reflected in the price.  And I reallylike the cylinder bevels.  I haven't yet decided what to do about the lack of finish.  Right now it is wearing only Johnson's Paste Wax, but it does look gaudy like this. 

Anyway, my cylinder base pin bushings arrived from Brownells today, so I fit the cylinder this afternoon.  What do you think?

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Colt Custom Shop sold off their spare parts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
The bevels look great. It would look even better blued.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:16:13 AM »
The bevels look great. It would look even better blued.

Ditto!

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:46:30 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
Absolutely ...blue it 

Sadly,  Colt selling off the Custom Shop spares    ???... may speak volumes ...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
Absolutely ...blue it 

Indeed!

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »

Not like it hasn't been expected.  Should not come as any kind of surprise.  It's a shame to see Colt's SAA business go Tango Uniform ......

Offline markg44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
I thought that i  read that old western scrounger had been bought out  by somebody like Brownells.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »
Absolutely ...blue it 

Sounds like "Taps" :(

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
There is a 2018 website for Colt;  https://www.colt.com/Catalog/Custom-Firearms

Colt Canada makes the C7 m16 clone and C8 M4 clone for the Canadian Forces. It will be making the new Ranger rifle, a modified TIKKA Tactical in .308, and will be working on an updated version of the FN MAG. In effect, Colt Canada is Canada's arsenal for small arms.

P.S: Canada has been buying Colt Products much of the time since 1855. (London Navy, 1878, New Service, 1911, potato digger are the ones that come to mind.)

What's happening in the Custom Shop, I'm not sure
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 11:13:59 PM »
My son turned 21 yesterday.  I'd presented him with a pistol at Christmas, but his school schedule since has left him little opportunity for shooting.  Today, we managed to hit the range for him to put his new pistol through its paces.  I brought along my 1983 Colt SAA with its new .44-40 cylinder for a quick functions test.  I'd previously assumed that this cylinder would benefit from some chamber honing, as they looked a little rough.   But empties fell right out after an initial nudge with the ejector rod.  A tight barrel/cylinder gap of about .002 had no ill effect, despite the "conventional wisdom" that a larger gap is optimal for black powder cartridges.  The action became a little sluggish after 50 rounds of FFF Olde Eynsford under a 200 gr. PRS Big Lube Mav Dutchman, but that mirrored my experiences tih my late 2nd Gen .45 Colt SAA with BP cartridges. 

This cylinder, being in-the-white, presented a photographic opportunity to show how much and where BP fouling deposits itself on the cylinder.  So here goes:

I'd assumed that the sluggishness developing in the action was a consequence of my having a tight barrel/cylinder gap of about .002.  But then I noticed that my gap remained:

So where was the drag coming from?

It appears that, despite my having set this cylinder up for zero endshake, enough carbon managed to make its way between the cylinder bushing and the frame to initiate drag.  When removing the cylinder, some good chunks of carbon fell from the base pin bushing, but I photographed what remained.

Like Driftwood Johnson, I'm becoming suspicious of the claims of a larger barrel/cylinder gap being necessary for shooting blackpowder cartridges in revolvers.  Instead, I'm leaning towards the tighter gap producing less fouling and therefore being beneficial.   Eventually, enough fouling will make its way between the base pin bushing and the frame (and it took 50 rounds today to do this), but I don't think a larger barrel/cylinder gap ameliorates that at all.   Rather, I think that a smaller gap reduces the amount of fouling that blows between the base pin bushing and the frame.  That fouling argues for the reliability benefits of greater endshake, but I don't think it supports the maxim of a larger cylinder gap being necessary for BP cartridges.  More endshake may require a larger barrel/cylinder gap to keep the cylinder from contacting the barrel breach, which may be where this "rule of thumb" originated. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »
I'm a Fuddy Duddy.  Sort of.  Kinda inna middle if you will.  I don't like great big honking Barrel to Cylinder gaps.  I also don't like great Googley Gobs of End Shake.

Most of us who spent lots of time with out collective fingers stuck in the innards of SA guns are somewhat opinionated.  Depending upon whom you read, there is supporting evidence for most positions (lotus??).  Different Gunplumbers believe different dimensions are "right"

Personally, for a solid frame SA, I like .004 Barrel/Cylinder gap whether for Smokeless or BP or Subs (+/- .001).  My preference for End Shake is .002, again +/- .001 and I think optimum Head Space is .004, which will result in worst case numbers of .007 Head Space.

Different propellents all have different properties, whether Smokeless or BP or Sub.  Some burn very dirty and some burn very clean.  Some Smokeless fouls as bad as some BP.  Some BP burns almost as clean as some Smokeless, and the same applies Subs.  Fouling will find it's way in everywhere.  That's a given.  Live with it folks.  If you have a fouling problem, your problem is most likely your propellant.  Instead of attacking your gun with sharp objects, try a cleaner burning propellant.  If you have a bit of a fouling problem, wipe down the area of problem as the fouling builds up.

I pull my Cap Guns apart after every stage and wipe down the cylinder face, barrel breach and Arbor.  I also use an off the gun cylinder loading press (Tower of Power for 36 and 44).  Were I shooting solid frame guns (Colt Pattern - - - NOT REMINGTON) I'd wipe the cylinder face and barrel breach (shooting BP) every stage.  Some will state, we should be able to shoot an entire match with no maintenance on the gun.  OK.  If you can do that, good on ya.  Your in the minority.  Or, you have selected your propellant very well.  Or you may well have really sloppy tolerances. 

The bottom line is ....... TA DA ....... There is no shame in toting a damp hanky around to wipe yer cylinder .. or yer nose.

PS:  UNSOLISITED SHAMELESS PLUG FER DDD's Tower of Power.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »

PSS:  The above really have nothing to do with Colt having sold off all their spare parts.

PSSS:  Betcha Colt don't make no more SAs either  :o

PSSSS:  HECK, The OP drifted this thread clear to Cucamonga.  Not our fault.

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »
At least some of the parts sold by Colt to Old Western Scrounger (which is now a subsidiary of Navy Arms) were not new out of the parts bin.  For example, the cylinder in this post, despite being in the white has a serial number on it which means it was fitted to a gun and for some reason rejected before bluing.  I ordered an ejector housing from them and it came with the rear portion turned down to install on a barrel that had been set back (it was rough as a cob and the cut portion was in the white).  They refunded my money and told me not to bother sending it back, they really could not have been nicer but it was a disappointment.  I was lucky enough to get a brand new one from Brownell's.  I had back ordered it months ago and it finally came in, which was a pleasant surprise since I needed to replace the one I scratched on an ivory gripped 3rd gen.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »

PSS:  The above really have nothing to do with Colt having sold off all their spare parts.

PSSS:  Betcha Colt don't make no more SAs either  :o

PSSSS:  HECK, The OP drifted this thread clear to Cucamonga.  Not our fault.

WELP  !  a number of things ....this very thread for one Re: Colt Custom Shop sold off their spare parts

and this PSSS:  Betcha Colt don't make no more SAs either  :o  ( I'm afraid this will come to pass )  :(

Plus, the fact I missed out a few times when " something cool was offered " , and I didn't or in many cases lack of $$$ couldn't capitalize.

I sprung forth, and listened to the little voice ....

If ever I was going to get the real Deal ( as opposed to the cost inflated but high end copy ... Notice: Coffin Maker I reframed from CLONE )

NOW was the opportunity...  I did it !   ONE HAPPY CAMPER  

My Colt along with the sweet Uberti Coffin Maker tuned   :D

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:18:37 AM »
Major 2, that's not just Colt parts, that's ALL the parts all put together and in a really cool caliber. Congrats, I wish I had all the parts for a real Colt .32-20 like yours.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 04:34:50 AM »
Sometimes you just have to listen to the little inner voice...

Helps when the 8 Planets do aline as well  .... in my case

1. I found a nice like new in box example
2. it was a late 3rd Gen. I:E: removable bushing
3. it was the last year 32/20 was offered  ( 2011 )
4 it was in 32/20, the caliber I wanted
5. 7 1/2 inch.  Check
6. Blue/Case   Check again
7. price was agreeable

and #8  "SHE" who must/ shall be obeyed , surprised me , and came on board at the get go....  ;D

Thanks LP....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com