Author Topic: Henry Vs Spencer  (Read 5396 times)

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Henry Vs Spencer
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
Now, back to maintenance.
    The same gas sealing effect w/ the Henry Flat would work for the 56-56.  The Spencer didn't have the big gap to pick up dirt along the feed.  You can drop the guts out of a Spencer w/ a screw driver (part of the basic equipment).  From a former grunt, these things matter.  Having said that, it's awful nice not to have to cock the hammer each time, or worry about dropping the follower. 

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »
Now, back to maintenance.
    The same gas sealing effect w/ the Henry Flat would work for the 56-56.  The Spencer didn't have the big gap to pick up dirt along the feed.  You can drop the guts out of a Spencer w/ a screw driver (part of the basic equipment).  From a former grunt, these things matter.  Having said that, it's awful nice not to have to cock the hammer each time, or worry about dropping the follower. 

That's true but just think of the improvement the Spencer was over the rifled musket. Having to cock the hammer isn't such a big deal then.
Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
That, in my humble opinion, is the real story.  The advantage of either the Spencer or Henry over the rifled musket is the meat of the story.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:31:36 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
It must also be noted that a military round of the time, needs to be able to kill a horse, and do it fairly rapidly.  From the front.  The .44 Henry RF will not penatrate the front muscle wall of a horse, when holding center on a charging horse and man.  This was a problem with all the pistol caliber rifles/carbines of the time.

Bufords men were armed with Sharps carbines at Gettysburg, BTW.  The only ones carrying Spencers there were the Michigan brigade under Custer, which did splendid work on the 3rd day.  But the confederate advance on the first day was delayed by Sharps Carbines.

We in the GAF have also found the Winchester style repeaters to be at a disadvantage overall in skirmish work.  The slow reload really sets them back.  Often a well run single shot can outpace them in a prolonged firing sequence with mulitiple targets and movement. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
It must also be noted that a military round of the time, needs to be able to kill a horse, and do it fairly rapidly.  From the front.  The .44 Henry RF will not penatrate the front muscle wall of a horse, when holding center on a charging horse and man.  This was a problem with all the pistol caliber rifles/carbines of the time.

Bufords men were armed with Sharps carbines at Gettysburg, BTW.  The only ones carrying Spencers there were the Michigan brigade under Custer, which did splendid work on the 3rd day.  But the confederate advance on the first day was delayed by Sharps Carbines.

We in the GAF have also found the Winchester style repeaters to be at a disadvantage overall in skirmish work.  The slow reload really sets them back.  Often a well run single shot can outpace them in a prolonged firing sequence with mulitiple targets and movement. 
Hence my thoughts on the Henry being Superior fr cavalry and foragers who were not equipped for sustain engagements.
Will Ketchum   
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
Question for LongWalker and any others who may have shot original rimfire Henry’s is there any reason the Henry could not be shot single after the magazine was emptied?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »
No reason at all.  But it's a slower, more finicky process than it is to thumb a cartridge into the Spencer breach.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »
Single-loading a Henry is a pain in the posterior.  Single-loading a Henry in a hurry is an invitation to a smashed fingertip (I still think my finger was clear!).  I can single-load a Spencer about as fast as loading a Sharp's carbine. 

I actually won a match once doing that: I shot a converted Spencer carbine borrowed from a friend in a 20 round timed match.  After shooting the magazine empty, I single-loaded the remaining shots.  I finished the day with high score and the fastest time.*  The old Spencers are the only old-school lever guns I shoot well, I wish I could afford one.   

*(There were a couple of guys I think could have beat me, but I shot in the breezy morning while they shot in the calm afternoon.  By the time their magazines were empty, I don't think they could even see the backstop!
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com