Author Topic: Help deciding on guns  (Read 9728 times)

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Help deciding on guns
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »
Im wanting to get set up for CAS and/or SASS, (if I can find anybody doing that around here) I had a new vaquero in .45lc but sold it due to medical bills, anyway I’m wanting to get set up, I would like some suggestions on caliber and guns. I’m really torn between 44-40 and 45 colt I know rifles weren’t ever offered in .45 but I have some experience with it and most stores carry it around these parts. I’ll likely hunt with the guns more then anything I reckon, I don’t need and supercharged Ruger only loads do sammi spec loads are just fine. I have an 1860 cap and ball revolver, so I was thinking about getting a conversion, but would still like yalls opinions

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Help deciding on guns
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »
Hi Tn.45
Eventually your going to get enough advise and opinions to fill a book.  To start the ball rolling, 45 Colt is just fine.  Whether rifles were ever chambered for 45 Colt is immaterial.  This is a fantasy game and unless your just determined to be "correct" there is no reason not to start out with the 45.  The 45 is one of the most versatile cartridge chambering.  You have the option of shooting 45 Colt, 45 Schofield or Cowboy 45 Special.  For rifles, the 45 Colt suffers Blow-By (gun gas fouling) because the 45 Colt cartridge doesn't expand to fill oversized chambers (most manufacturers).  This can be mitigated.
Your 1860 Cap Gun can be converted to 45.  You would be able to shoot the above cartridges no problem.  If you wanted matching guns (recommended) get another 1860 and a pair of R&D Conversion Cylinders.  Probably your most cost effective route at present.
Rifles run the gamut of Cowboy Action Rifles.  Original or Copies of the Winchester 1892, Winchester 1866 (reproductions) Winchester 1873, 1860 Henry (reproductions).  Marlin Rifles, lots of choices.  You will have to fight Blow-By but that can be mitigated.
Shotgun ..... could take another thread.

The 44-40.  To start with 44-40 you would have to start all over with handguns.  Dedicated to 44-40 only.  Same with rifles, 44-40 only.  If you want to be able to afford to shoot this game affordably, you'll need to learn to re-load.  45 Colt is much easier to reload than 44-40.  Lots and lots to think about.

Bunch of different importers and manufacturers to choose from.  Bunch of different styles of guns to choose from.  Now ...... BEST ADVISE:

DON'T SPEND A DIME.  Not one cent.  Go find a CAS club/range and go kibitz some matches.  Ask the shooters lots of questions about the guns they are shooting.  Most folks will press guns into your hands to shoot a few rounds.  SHOP AROUND.  Read the handbook and think about a category to shoot in.  This game is a barrel of fun.  This game can cost a bundle of money to play.  Be careful and go fourth to ask lots of questions.  LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
DON'T SPEND A DIME.  Not one cent.  Go find a CAS club/range and go kibitz some matches.  Ask the shooters lots of questions about the guns they are shooting.  Most folks will press guns into your hands to shoot a few rounds.  SHOP AROUND.  Read the handbook and think about a category to shoot in.  This game is a barrel of fun.  This game can cost a bundle of money to play.  Be careful and go fourth to ask lots of questions.  LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!
This is great advice. Wish I'd have followed advice like this when I started.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:11:22 AM »

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »
I don't want to give him a big head but Coffinmaker is right on! ::)

You stayin' warm in Pennsyltucky Coffinmaker??? :o
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »
Times three what Coffinmaker said.  Too easy to get caught up in something because some "expert" really like it for them.  Try as much different stuff as you can before you buy.  Good luck.  Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com