Author Topic: New Miroku winchester 1873 carbine  (Read 9448 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
New Miroku winchester 1873 carbine
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »
Looks like winchester had mirko release a carbine version of the 73, im now thinking about getting one and comparing it to my 66 carbine. I know OD#3 did one, but I'd like too see a difference and also own a 73. http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/model-1873-current-products/model-1873-carbine.html

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New Miroku winchester 1873 carbine
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
Please do get one, because I am Tapped Out and won't be able to buy any miroku rifles anytime soon. I did notice that they advertise it as having a ladder sight. That would be an improvement, since their short rifle version came with a Buckhorn sight. I will eagerly await your comparison report.

Offline Malamute

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:43:25 AM »
 The info in the first post, and what I saw first, indicates only 357 mag as being available, however, their press release says 44-40 and 45 Colt will also be available. The Winchester News section also has what sounds like a standard carbine format 1892 in various calibers.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/news/press-releases/2018-winchester-repeating-arms-model-1873-carbine-rifle.html

http://www.winchesterguns.com/news/press-releases/2018-winchester-repeating-arms-model-1892-carbine-rifle.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:27:30 AM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:40:07 PM »
Amen! a 20'' carbine never thought id see the day! Take that Italy lol

Offline Malamute

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »
Amen! a 20'' carbine never thought id see the day! Take that Italy lol

Yeah, and one of the very definite advantages of the Miroku Winchester over the Italian carbines, the front sight is attached to the barrel rather than the front barrel band. I had an 1866 carbine in 22 cal years ago with the sight on the barrel band. It was pretty annoying when it got dropped or bumped, or taken apart to be cleaned and had to be re-zeroed.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
I have them with the sight on the barrel and the band, depending on when it was made, I wouldn't say either way is an advantage. Each has its positive and negatives.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Malamute

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
 Well, I so far havent been able to figure out ANY good reason to have the front sight on the band, it seemed designed to annoy and frustrate more than anything. I cursed that system many times.  :)  Silver soldered to the barrel is pretty safe from being knocked out of zero.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:52 AM »
"ANY good reason to have the front sight on the band"

it is a cheaper way to produce a carbine.  Not as good or better mind you, just cheaper.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 09:12:51 AM »
Well, I so far havent been able to figure out ANY good reason to have the front sight on the band, it seemed designed to annoy and frustrate more than anything. I cursed that system many times.  :)  Silver soldered to the barrel is pretty safe from being knocked out of zero.

yep...until the whole sight gets knocked off, if one is handling it rough enough to knock the barrel band out of line that would be my concern, I've seen plenty soldered front sights off of old rifles. Plus you can change, modify the barrel band easily without making a permanent change to a sight fixed to the barrel.

Like I said I've seen problems happen with either style and there are advantages to either style and won't condemn one over the other. Winchester made them both ways on the REAL 1873 carbine, actually I've always wondered why they ever bothered changing and going through the trouble of soldering them on the barrel.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:06:07 AM »

I have had several Carbines with the front sight as part of the barrel band.  Once windage was at correct zero, applied a tiny register mark to both the barrel band and the barrel.  Easy to return the sight.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »
After getting the zero, couldn't you add green loctite to keep it from moving?

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 01:21:28 PM »
I have had several Carbines with the front sight as part of the barrel band.  Once windage was at correct zero, applied a tiny register mark to both the barrel band and the barrel.  Easy to return the sight.

Bingo!

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:17 PM »

Perhaps, I really don't understand.  Really.  For the better part of 25 years I built Competition CAS rifles.  Predominately Toggle Link rifles, a bunch of 92s, another bunch of Marlins.  Predominantly though, Toggle Link rifles.  About 50/50 carbines and short rifles with a few 24inch sporting thrown in for good measure.

Uberti built carbines, both '66s and '73s have 19inch barrels.  Nobody cared.  19inches was just fine.  The guns held plenty of cartridges,  Built up very competitive, light and quick handling.  Nice guns.  Lots of after-market goodies.

Now comes Miroku.  20inch carbine and whoa, everybody thinks it's the greatest thing since canned peaches.  Why??  that inch of barrel doesn't/won't make a bit of difference in the number of cartridges held, won't swing any better/worse but it really can't be built up to be considered competitive for CAS.  Nice guns.  No real after/market goodies.

Both guns are reproductions.  The Miroku flavor is actually a copy of the Uberti.  The Uberti is a Uberti.  Neither is a copy of the Original Sample Example except in external appearance.  So when we come back to the front sight, stuck on the barrel or part of the band, I have to agree with Yahoody.  Not better, not worse.  Just a different way to get to the same end.  Of course, I also have to place a CAVEAT into the mix.  I'm not a champion of the Miroku.  Too many things about it I don't like.  Oh well.   

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
Well Coffinmaker, I think its just the excitement of seeing another company entering the repro market. I wouldn't mind a miroku not because its a carbine. but mainly for comparison reasons and just to own a 73, sure Uberti makes one, i own a Uberti 66. I really like that gun. too have both rifles would be nice. I honestly think that the Mirokus have smoother actions. I didn't do the entire process of slicking up the 66 like OD#3 did but i got it to wear its nice. I just would like a rifle where its smooth and functional out the box.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »
  I personally prefer the sight built into the band. The only advantage I can think of to a dovetailed front sight is if one needs a taller front sight, it's easy to swap the sight. For those of you who have actually knocked the integral band sight loose because you dropped your rifle or banged it against something... :o that's a little scary.

When I look at the Miroku 1873, I just can't think of it as a "reproduction", a resemblance, yes, but definitely not a reproduction. I can lay one of my '73 Uberti's alongside one of my original Winchesters and they're dang near identical, if only externally. I've seen photos of a '73 Miroku next to a '73 Uberti, naaaa..... It's like parking a 1955 Ford T-Bird next to a 2005 Ford T-Bird.

CHT

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 04:41:57 AM »
Maybe i'm missing something now, but in all the years i've shot my uberti, not once has the barrel banded sight been knocked out of adjustment. My complaint it that its too short and hits 9 inches high at 50 yards, and does the same for every other pard i've asked with the same gun. Windage has been perfect since the day i got it however.

And regarding the 20'' hoorah, it is indeed a good thing! Don't act like no one would care if the saa clones were 4, 5, 7'' the last 30 years.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
Maybe i'm missing something now, but in all the years i've shot my uberti, not once has the barrel banded sight been knocked out of adjustment. My complaint it that its too short and hits 9 inches high at 50 yards, and does the same for every other pard i've asked with the same gun. Windage has been perfect since the day i got it however.

And regarding the 20'' hoorah, it is indeed a good thing! Don't act like no one would care if the saa clones were 4, 5, 7'' the last 30 years.

What rifle and rear sight are you using? I worked the front sight on my 1866 Sporting Rifle down, a little, so as to have the sights regulated at 100, 200 and (almost nearly but not quite hardly at) 300 yds. So it shot a little high, but nowhere near 9" @ 50 yds.

CHT

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »

That's because every single 73 carbine Uberti makes shoots high, file down the rear sight until it hits where you want it. I've only had one that was close and wound up filing it down a little.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com