Author Topic: It's STAINLESS?!  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It's STAINLESS?!
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
So I found a Sauer & Sohn .45 Convertible is great condition for $225. A .45 Colt for that price? Shut up and take my money! It has a sweet action and an excellent trigger, but it's definitely 'finished to a price.' As an example the blueing on the sides of the frame looked more like the paint they put on zinc-alloy frames (I checked with a magnet- it's steel.) I also noticed that the front of the frame under the barrel is different than a Colt.  I decided to 'Coltify' the frame, flatten the sides of the frame and re-blue it.

I got the work done, cleaned and de-greased the frame and... nothing. The Blueing wouldn't take at all. OK, clean, steel wool, clean and de-grease and try it again... nothing. Wouldn't discolor it even a little. Tried a different solution- zip, nada, nothing. It's stainless steel.  Not what I expected of a gun made in the late 50's or early 60's, but it makes sense; I knew the major assemblies were cast, and a lot of stainless steels cast better than carbon steels. T304, widely used for table cutlery at the time, would make a pretty good steel for a gun and it casts well. Anyway since I wasn't about to paint the gun I stripped the rest of the finish and did some judicious finishing and polishing. The trigger-guard and grip frame are aluminum, and makes a nice contrast. It actually looks fantastic.

Before and after pics-

The gun is an excellent shooter btw., and the trigger is one of the best I've felt on a SAA-type gun. For a couple hundred bucks and an afternoon of work I couldn't be happier.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: It's STAINLESS?!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:26:36 AM »
Oh My Dear Tinker-

you got a (stainless) steal!  the steel 45 Sauer and Sohn clones are little known treasures!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:38:12 AM »
Good job on the frame reshaping.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:09:08 PM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
Great deal.  The JP Sauer & Sohn SAAs are well made and fun to shoot.  Wish I still had the Silver City Marshal I sold about 10 years ago.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com