Author Topic: 1875 Outlaw Question  (Read 9489 times)

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
1875 Outlaw Question
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:18 AM »
This may be a little far fetched but has anybody ever thought of maybe de-farbing their Uberti  1875 Outlaw to be more like the original Remington pistol? This would involve welding the cylinder pin release hole on the frame, reworking it to be smooth,  drilling/ tapping a hole at the end of the long cylinder pin housing and adding a screw to hold the pin in like an original. It would also require welding the large  "safety" hole on the hammer, re-shaping, and refinish the whole thing to look correct. Maybe just a daydream but sure would make a sweet, more historically correct revolver. Is there anybody out there that offers such a rework job?
"Never run a bluff with a six-gun".....Bat Masterson

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: 1875 Outlaw Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
Early production Uberti 1875s had the correct cylinder pin release.
It might be easier to find one of those?!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
I think those are pretty few and far between

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:25:25 AM »

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 12:50:08 PM »
To each his own.  I like my Urberti 1875 Outlaw the way it is.  I did rub the grips with 0000 steel wool and alcohol then applied Danish Wood Oil.  MikeM's idea would work, but seems to be a lot of work for a minor payoff.
Scouts Out!

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:20:05 PM »
In terms of participating in the sport, there is no good reason to be authentic, only to look the part.

Offline MikeM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
I understand that too , I just wish I could afford an original . I like authentic stuff I guess and thought maybe a replica could be made more authentic

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:05 PM »
In terms of participating in the sport, there is no good reason to be authentic, only to look the part.

Well, you don't even have to look authentic in SASS, just look sort of cowboy or western.   But there are lots of ways to participate, which is one of the great things about the sport.  Being authentic in various ways is a part of that for some folks.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
Hi Mike,

I'm not personally hung up on "Authentic."  I kinda think "close" pretty much covers it for CAS.  Just me.  I have had several partners in crime who were really stuck on authentic.  I can and do understand that.  However:

You can have anything you want if your willing to throw enough money at it.  I would suggest contacting Gary Barnes (aka: Hoof Hearted) and pose your wants to him.  The number of guys working on CAS guns is steadily shrinking.  It's going to get harder to find someone to do custom work.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »
This is about as authentic as I get, been using the same set of Uberti Remington 75's, 5 1/2" Uberti 66 for alot of years. me and my son.
King Medallion

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 06:30:55 PM »
When you get more interested in being competitive rather than philosophical about just having fun, compromises get made quickly. It would be the black powder guys and classic cowboys that really get into the period-correct details. Personally, I enjoy how the groups use more than just a pair of Vaqueros, the usual rifle, and the coolest brand/model shotgun.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »

I'VE had the good fortune of participating at all ends of the spectrum.  Started out going hyper competitive (yep I did) with a super slick and smooth '97, a '73 that was so light and smooth it ran itself and a pair of super tuned Open Tops (short stroke before short stroke was cool).  Nothing authentic about a 97.  Not cowboy at all.  A .38Spl '73 weren't real authentic either.

And then (Along came jones??) some health issues and ...... I got ...... Old.  Slowed me right down.  Since I wasn't chasing the Brass Ring anymore, I got super authentic.  Right down to the "thread count."  Horsefeathers.  Thread Count my Rosie red Pajamas.

I did the big switch to the DARK SIDE.  Nothing authentic about Smokeless.  Ditched the '97 for Hammer Doubles (6 of them now).  Henry rifles, short stroked (4 of those) and my main match pistols are super authentic .44 Cal, 3 1/4 inch barrel, 1851 Snubbies!!!  The Henry Rifles have been modified to run the uber authentic C45S cartridges and the 44 Cal 1851 Snubbies can run finish matching (Stainless or Blue) R&D conversions.  Yep.  Everything authentic.

I don't actually mean to be mean to those who would prefer things a little more authentic.  I just suggest being a little more realistic in their expectations.  Replica gun makers build to a price point.  If they built exactly like the guns were made 120 years ago, we would not be able to afford them.  Case in point > > > > Colt and USFA.  Colt now makes few if any SAA and they are super expensive.  USFA went bust.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »
I wouldn't call short stroking very authentic.  ;)
King Medallion

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »
If you want an authentic look, dont bother with defarbing. You will need that frame blued. Only the loading gate was case colour hardened in the originals. ::)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
I have to admit I'm surprised at the negative reactions and attitudes toward anyone wanting to be that dirty word "authentic". I got into CAS back in the mid 1980s because it was a venue were I could shoot "authentic guns and ammunition" (yes Virginia, they did load them with black powder).

MikeM, I'm on your side. Get your 1875 as close as you can afford, and while you're at it save up for an original. Having owned a number of 1st Gen Colt SAAs in the past the experience of handling and shooting an original is something the Italian Stallions will never know. (smile)

Wishing I was young enough and in good enough health to shoot as much as my heart wants to,
Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »

Aw common Boys and Girls!!  Didja notice perhaps I were being "Tongue stuck firmly in Cheek" smart aleck??  Sheesh.  There isn't a thing wrong with "Authentic."  In some reproductions it's just a bit hard to come by.  And expensive.

A friend of mine in Colorado (I think he is still in Colorado) use to lurk at every Gun Show he could find searching for shootable "authentic" guns for CAS.  Was actually way "over the Shark" as He was searching out Original guns.  He was very successful.  Broke, but successful.  Wound up with an original 1873 in 44-40, a pair of Colt cartridge conversions in 44 Colt and an original 1878 Coach Gun.  Way cool.  I was a little concerned with the Coach Gun.  Damascus always gives me the willies.  He did finally have it sleeved to 20Ga with Briley tubes.  Thy guy also sourced his Spurs, Chaps and Vest from Antique stores.  Authentic??  You betcha.

ME??  Not so much!!   ;D

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:50:07 PM »
I thought exactly the same thing for my 1875,,The only thing stopping me is mine is nickel plated,,,A good welder could easily plug the cross bolt and weld it,,and also weld the small spot on the frame where it is scalloped out under the ejector rod..Then a bit of file and emory work and reblue and  you would have a proper 1875...BTW--When it comes to being a nut about being historically correct,,I replaced the hammer on my USPFA ,,and three uberti hammers with the solid no safety replacement hammer..$$$$..But it was worth it to me by not having to look at that ugly safety slot on my guns!...

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
Maybe with enough requests one of the importers could ask uberti to offer it in an Old Model platform like they do for the model p sans hammer safety and cross bolt? Wouldnt that be the cats purr? Blued finish and a post front sight in 44wcf ahhhh

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:46 AM »
Maybe with enough requests one of the importers could ask uberti to offer it in an Old Model platform like they do for the model p sans hammer safety and cross bolt? Wouldnt that be the cats purr? Blued finish and a post front sight in 44wcf ahhhh

I would buy one in a heartbeat. Oh, I could dream.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »
I forgot (to mention) throughout all of this thread.  It really doesn't matter.  I don't like Remington(s).    ;D

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 12:31:52 PM »
STONE HIM!!!!!!!!    ;)
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com