Author Topic: Lighten Loads with Coarser Granulation?  (Read 9826 times)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Lighten Loads with Coarser Granulation?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
I agree  treebeard!

Winchester did already have a large lubed bullet available.  But, of course, I'm prejudiced toward Big Lube® bullets.  As I play the fantasy game of SASS matches, I like to think my bullets could have made a difference at LBH.  Be it known that I only play for fun.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »
I agree  treebeard!

Winchester did already have a large lubed bullet available.  But, of course, I'm prejudiced toward Big Lube® bullets.  As I play the fantasy game of SASS matches, I like to think my bullets could have made a difference at LBH.  Be it known that I only play for fun.

DD-MDA

Dick
Something for you to think about
Blokes shooting original rifles (with the old time slow twist) I believe are gonna encounter accurracy problems with the big lube boolits due to lack of stability - they need lighter = shorter  -  say 180grain 44/40 and 160grain 38/40 - so there is room for the big lube groove without making the boolit too long for the twist rate - particularly so with the reduced loads that CAS uses - not a matter of if but when I reckon - wont matter on a bucket size target at ten yards but could get kinda aggravatin to see boolits going through the paper sideways at 50 yards plus. Been there done it a couple times. Not with problem with modern barrels with more agressive twist rates !!!
ps think Custer derserved ta loose his har and proly still woulda - trouble with all these ego driven galoots they take a bunch of innocent bystanders with em !
keep havin fun !!

Offline David Battersby

• Very Active Citizen
  • Smokeless powder is a passing fad .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »
I use a card wad in the 44-40 for a reduced load. It basically reduces the powder charge by ten grains and comes close to duplicating the 44 Henry cartridge. While I do not participate in CAS , I do shoot Lever Action Silhouette.  It does not require 36 grains of Swiss 2F to knock over the 40 meter chickens. I have never broken a chicken, but they ring like a bell while flying towards the 50 meter pigs. (and I get some funny looks from the match director) . I tried Cream of Wheat, and even though it worked it was WORK.  I then tried Circle Fly Wads from Track of the Wolf.  A .125 card wad took up about 10 grains of space in the cartridge. The card wad is also very easy to install. I simply place the wad into the case mouth and use the powder compression die to push the card and powder to the same depth as a full charge of Swiss 2F. No adjusting the powder compression die, just a smaller charge of powder. The wads only take a moment to place in the case and use the same powder compression procedure as a full load.  The wads are inexpensive, easy to use, reduce the powder charge and at least in my Uberti 1873 Winchester gives good accuracy.

The part number for the equivalent wad used in a 38-40 is WAD-405-A , from Track of the Wolf.
John Moses Browning and Teddy Roosevelt, we need you again !
In the days of old when men were bold and a quarter was still worth a dime.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:55:43 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 10:12:32 PM »
Big Lube bullets wouldn't have made 'squat' at the Little Big Horn. Custer and his crew met their demise due to poor planning and communication, Custer's zeal for glory, and most of all overwhelming numbers, ie Army vs Indians. I don't believe that it would have had made a difference either if all the Troopers had been armed with '73 Winchesters vs their Springfields, just probably delayed the inevitable. If a person studies and reads the 'true' and most reliable information about the battle and doesn't rely on what a lot of what has been written by those without accurate information and how movies and TV portray it, it can be seen what a military blunder it was. 'Moosemilk' filled bottles and swabs would have been useless too.

Now back to how this thread started, from what I've learned over the years using FF rather than FFF Black causes a little slower burn, thus not allowing as fast a pressure spike when the charge is ignited by cap or primer. Some time ago I went to using FF in my 44 Colt and 45 Colt loads vs using FFF at recommendation of some of the shooters here on CAS that had been loading metallic cases longer than I with black powder. I don't chorno my loads so can't tell you any velocity differences, but they seem a little less in the recoil department and are just as accurate. Supposed to be a little more TLC to the firearm also as I was told. The FF black has worked fine for me in the cartridge department of shooting.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
There are some Loons whom would consider odds of 14 to 1, a fair fight.  Only if you have unlimited Air Support and Artillery.  With a basic combat load-out of ammunition and no Gatling guns, Custer and his troops were going to run out of ammunition before running out of hostile targets.  The outcome was a foregone conclusion.  Oh, and yes.  Custer was STUPID.

Back to the OP.  PLUS ONE to Choker

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
Ho Coffinmaker,

Yes Custer was STUPID.  He was also very arrogant and that even more than his stupidity, in my opinion, is what lead to his downfall.  No, no amount of lube in his bullets would have made a whit of a difference in his outcome.  I was just spinning a tail.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com