Author Topic: Coffee's on, Up lifting the mug to you and the New Year  (Read 58789 times)

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Coffee's on, Up lifting the mug to you and the New Year
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »
Kids were rummaging about in some of my tools, came up with my old corner brace; couldn't figure it out.  I got out one of my regular ones, and some various bits and augers, and we played around with them; they were most amazed at one of my long augers, a 9/16" x 36".  Regaled them with a few stories of building power lines the old fashioned way.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »
Also good for splitting wood with black powder.   Grandpa taught me how.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
We built a small cabin, using one of those old hand drills to drill holes for the spikes to hold logs together. Also cut 75% of all the notches with a hammer and chisel.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 10:44:11 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »
Slim don’t you have a block warner on the Beast?
No. It came from Nevada.  ::) I might put one on it when it gets a bit warmer. I think a battery with more CCA's might help.

'Tis -4 already. Low -15 to -20.  ::) Why do I live in WI.
My parents are visiting my cousin in NM. It was 63 there at 6 PM.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »
Cold crankings amps, does help.

Honestly surprized you don’t have them on all cars there and your tractor.
Mathew 5.9

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 07:54:47 AM »
Morning Coffee is brewing...

20 degrees at sun up

Busy morning planned
Mathew 5.9

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
Heat wave today. 17 degrees here-warmer than the high most of last week. Headed above freezing! Guessers say 36 for a high. Rain tomorrow, and still warmer. Should get rid of the last traces of pre-Christmas sn*w still hanging on here.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

'Twas -12 earlier. 'Tis -4 and sunny. High of 8. High of 27 tomorrow.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2018, 09:53:00 AM »
We chipped in a total of $400 @ work to play Lotto and WON > $26 WOOHOO , Roll'n' our WAD over to the Powerball .

3rd straight morning in the Mid 30's or less , moving things around on the mantle so's Del's trophy has room for more awards.

Heading to the Toy store shortly, then BBQ for lunch...maybe a haircut ...beyond that I'm winging it  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »
BTW, put the battery charger on the Beast last night. Going out in a little bit to see if it starts then off to the toy store to bring something home.

Slim

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
Only two items peek some interest this trip....

1. A Universal 30cal.  Carbine , new manufacture , I looked and handled, nice but too costly @ $989. 
2. A S&W Bodyguard in 380  w/ Crimson Trace @ $349. I though not a bad price...nice CC
    but naught, I have my Model 36 Revolver w/ 38 critical defense.

so nothing came home ...today  :( 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
No toy store visits today for me. Took the wife's Trailblazer to get the rear end re-shod. $324 later, I'm home again. Maybe play with the chainsaw this afternoon, but carefully. Been a bit "down in the back" since last weeks wood cutting trip. I'm thinking cut today-pick up and haul later.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
Gun show today in New Bern but it's too cold to mess with it. I don't really have any disposable income until I get Christmas bills caught back up. Good news is that the house was paid off November 30 so it shouldn't take too long.
When I was cutting wood years ago I would always cut up the stuff that others would leave behind. Some guy would cut down a nice oak and just take the straight trunk and leave the top. I'd cut it as long and as big around as I could carry to my trailer. When I couldn't cram any more on it id carry it home and pile it up. Then I would cut stove length pcs off the pile at my convenience and stack it up. I hardly split anything. If I wanted a break I'd just go into the house. Always killed me where guys would cut and split in the woods and then stack it in the back of a pickup nice and pretty. It had to be handled again to make their drying stack. Don't handle anything any more than you have to.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
Ok, Cowboy Veg-O-Matic frame is temporary put together.  All planed and sanded with 80 grit.  Gonna look good when I get the stain and oil on it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
Lol cowboy veg a matic

Feel the same about handling firewood as few times as possible. Friend use to say cut it split pile it high on truck. Drop it off for cash and turn up the thermostat. He was too smart being so young back then....
Mathew 5.9

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »
Had to jump the Beast this morning. Got a new battery after we went to store toy.

This is the store of what followed me home from the toy story. A 95 year old man brought it in to sell on consignment. He said he carried it in WWII. I came with the holster he carried it in. The holster in not usable but I will hang it on the wall.
It is a 1911A1 Colt Commercial model made in 1931. According to my research, some Commercial models were used to fulfill the Military contract during WWII. The frame and slide, which have matching serial numbers, have been refinished with a gray-green parkerizing. The barrel seems to be a replacement. 

I disassembled and cleaned it. The ejector rod and thumb safety plunger were rusty. I cleaned the rust off it.
It has an arched mainspring housing. My other 1911's have straight mainspring housings. It will take a bit to get used to it. BTW, the Colt has a heavier trigger pull than my Rock Island milspec.

Slim

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2018, 01:59:16 AM »
Had to jump the Beast this morning. Got a new battery after we went to store toy.

This is the store of what followed me home from the toy story. A 95 year old man brought it in to sell on consignment. He said he carried it in WWII. I came with the holster he carried it in. The holster in not usable but I will hang it on the wall.
It is a 1911A1 Colt Commercial model made in 1931. According to my research, some Commercial models were used to fulfill the Military contract during WWII. The frame and slide, which have matching serial numbers, have been refinished with a gray-green parkerizing. The barrel seems to be a replacement.  

I disassembled and cleaned it. The ejector rod and thumb safety plunger were rusty. I cleaned the rust off it.
It has an arched mainspring housing. My other 1911's have straight mainspring housings. It will take a bit to get used to it. BTW, the Colt has a heavier trigger pull than my Rock Island milspec.

Slim

Was reading this yesterday then sent CMP a email, might call them here this week

How to get your hands on a historic M1911 pistol from the US Army stockpile...

sorry the link is not attaching. It was on the Fox.com news link yesterday. If i can figure it out later i will correct it.

The whole story

How to get your hands on a historic M1911 pistol from the US Army stockpile

By Allison Barrie  |  FoxNews.com
Published January 5, 2018

Americans will soon have the rare opportunity to get their hands on a historic military gun.

Only American citizens can purchase one of these World War II combat pistols, the M1911, from the U.S. Army stockpile. And only one can be purchased a year by a qualified buyer.

The 1911 is one of the most sought-after popular handgun models in the country. The legendary pistol entered service more than a century ago, and was used in World War I. Most of the vintage handguns in storage were made before 1945.

President Trump is expected to soon sign off on a bill greenlighting the Army to make available for sale a limited number of these M1911s to American civilians.

For several decades, these surplus U.S. military handgun stockpiles have been hidden away in storage out of the public eye.

Reveal: What’s inside the gun crates?

Which 1911s are in the crates? It’s an exciting mystery. The exact pistols will not be revealed until the crates are soon opened.

From Colt to Springfield Armory, the M1911 was made by a range of American gunmakers. There will also be a full spectrum available, ranging from brand spanking new pistols to ones with visible battle scars.

This is a special chance to own a famous pistol with a unique story behind each dent and scratch. You could purchase a 1911 that was used on the front lines by a brave American soldier.

No matter the maker or condition, this is an exciting opportunity for civilians and military members alike.

Limited Release

The Army will make these surplus pistols available through the government-chartered Civilian Marksmanship Program or CMP.  The release will be limited to only several thousand in 2018. Your best chance to get one is to be prepared and ready to act.

The CMP spent a lot of time working out how to best fairly sell the pistols.

All that’s needed is President Trump’s signature, signing the bill into law and the handguns will be released – that’s your signal to jump into the fray to try to nab one. Head over to CMP’s website to get in the action for the rollout.

Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, the would-be purchaser names will be loaded into a “Random Number Generator” and each person will be assigned a number.

So here’s everything you need to know to be ready to move quickly, get your paperwork in and be one of the lucky few to own a piece of meaningful military history

The 1911 Backstory

This pistol was used by the U.S. Army for about 75 years. A variant of the M1911 is still by the U.S. Marine Corps.

Back in 1911, the U.S. military chose the M1911 as the standard-issue sidearm for the forces. The iconic single- action, semi-automatic weapon remained the official sidearm until 1986 when it was replaced by the Beretta M9. It is chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge and magazine fed.

In recent weapons news, the Army changed sidearms, replacing the Beretta M9 with the new Sig Sauer MHS, Modular Handgun System.

Inside the Crates

The exact nature of the pistols that will be released remains unknown. In the crates, there will certainly be Colt 1911s – but what else?

It would be tremendously exciting if they open the crates and discover the ultra-rare and highly sought after Singers. If so, those most likely will be auctioned in a special process by CMP based on past methodology.

There could also be pistols made by Remington Rand, Springfield Armory, Ithaca, UMC, Union Switch & Signal and North American.

The pistols will not all be in the same condition. There will most likely be some in pristine, mint condition – but this is also a special opportunity to hold in your hand a 1911 with character bearing the marks of accompanying a brave U.S. soldier through his service and sacrifice for our country.

There will be very high demand competing for a very limited number ranging between 16,000 and 20,000 will be up for sale over the next two years.

In the future, it is expected another possible 70,000 or so may eventually become available.

Who can buy them?

There are rules for who CMP can sell firearms to. For starters, only to Americans. You need to be a U.S. citizen or you are out of luck.

You also need to meet the federal and state-level firearm criteria to legally buy a firearm. These criteria include being at least 18 years old and passing a background check.

Next, you need to fall within the guidelines
Active-duty service member, reservist, National Guardsman, veterans and CMP’s “special affiliates” members are all eligible to purchase one.

Special affiliate members are folks who belong to congressionally chartered veterans service organizations and professional organizations like the Fraternal Order of Police.

So if you don’t fall within those categories then you need a membership with a CMP-affiliated club. These can be found across the United States and often membership will set you back around $20 to $30.

How can you buy one?

Get ready in advance so you’re poised to strike and nab one.

You’ll need a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport or any other official proof of citizenship. For military IDs, E5 and above can be used.

To prove you meet age requirements, you can use that same proof of identification if it details your birthdate.

Make sure you have proof ready that you fall within the guidelines. You’ll need to provide proof of membership in a CMP-affiliated organization like a membership card or CMP Club Member Certification Form.

You also need to provide proof you know how to safely handle firearms and are familiar with shooting range safe conduct.

If your state has any other documents required to purchase a handgun then that paperwork needs to be included as well.

There is also a specific 1911 form that needs to be filled in. You can find a complete list of all the requirements, the mail order process, CMP organizations and all other relevant details on the CMP website.

How much?

Once the crates are opened by CMP they will inspect, grade, and value everything to determine the prices.

There without the cliq bait
Mathew 5.9

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
I just want two things, warmer weather and an Army 1911. I'll take either.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:14 AM »
Baltimore Ed, I've been cutting up dead elm trees that were growing beside the slough beside my field. Cut up the tops as small as 1", and haul directly to the porch for burning. Since elm is soooo hard to split, when I get to the point where it's too big for the stove, then I pile up the rest for when I can get the use of a log splitter. Sometimes I cut and haul the big pieces, and sometimes I use the tractor to skid them to a big pile to cut and split later. Also been cutting up thorn trees and stacking them to dry for future use. Since I cut on my own place, I never bother to neatly stack every last bit of wood I can get in the truck. Just chuck it in there till I get tired.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

'Tis 12 and overcast. High of 27.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com