Author Topic: shooting classes  (Read 11042 times)

Offline Capt. JEB Forrest

• Top Active Citizen
  • " Garryowen!"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
shooting classes
« on: December 29, 2017, 09:06:10 AM »
In my section the main bitch about the new shooting classes seems to be two hand hold smokeless shooters grouped with one hand hold shooters.

With out changing anything else, the easiest work around would be to redefine Traditional as any one handed hold shooter, smokeless or black powder.

Open would be redefined as any two handed hold shooter, smokeless or black powder.
Commander Cavalry
Department of the Atlantic

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: shooting classes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:48:14 AM »
I agree, It's not fair for the those that use  1 hand to shoot to compete against those  that use 2 bands to hold there pistols. On the other hand, I don't think it's fair for us that like to make smoke to have to compete against the smokeless crowd. I think we need to go back to the way it was, with a min. number of shooters to have awards. That is the way I would support a change.

Reed "Two-Bit Charlie" Van Ness

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
But then if you redefine the traditional to include smokeless duelist you have the ones dealing with the smoke and generally heavier recoil and more possible gun malfunctions competing against smokeless.

It really just needs to go back the way it was, the three in the class rule for an award is where it should have stopped and in fact I don't even care about that. It's not like we are shooting to win a corvette, the awards arent that expensive.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:10:05 PM »

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
I agree with Cliff.  CC
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
Black powder shooters should be in separate classes with one hand and two hand divisions. Most old military weapons were black powder shooters and that's traditional. SEMPER FIDELIS
:-)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
Howdy
I think the NEW classes are a move in the wrong direction . But then we will see when the National Shoot gets here  The numbers will tell the story . I really didn't see the problem with the old classes . Just my opinion .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:33 AM »

Aw KRAPOLA!!   I saw the Forum Header and thought this thread was about Shooting "GLASSES" so I went to jump all over it.  I want some new Shooting Glasses.  I don't need nor want new Shooting CLASSES.  Burma Shave

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
Aw KRAPOLA!!   I saw the Forum Header and thought this thread was about Shooting "GLASSES" so I went to jump all over it.  I want some new Shooting Glasses.  I don't need nor want new Shooting CLASSES.  Burma Shave

"Never mind." - Emily Latella
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Captain Rob Page

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
My wife and I joined NCOWS many years ago for the history and the fun of shooting with like minded people. We both shoot very well and it is not a "competition" for us. I understand that some folks like to have their name as the winners in a class and get a trophy for the mantle. I get that. NCOWS has gotten way overboard in the shooting classes. Too many. I am a posse rep and received no input from anyone before the convention last year, so I voted the way I believed most of the people we shoot with would want me to vote. Turns out that I was right in the way I voted. I always want folks to voice their opinion to me about the way NCOWS is going. Thank You

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
Coffinmaker, I thought just the opposite. I thought it was about classes to learn how to shoot.?? I think that I know how. But I did have my optometrist make me a pair of 'shooting Glasses' some years back. I carried my Match Target Woodsman to her office to sight with while looking through her kaleidoscope machine. She announced to the folks in the store and office not to be alarmed that the was a man with a gun in the office and it was ok. Rather comical until swat shows up. We had no incidents and I had a nice pair of shooting Glasses to attend shooting Classes with. And nobody got hurt.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 07:05:09 AM »
Before he retired from public practice, my former optometrist was a retired NG Colonel. When I started talking to him about shooting glasses he knew exactly what I needed. While I don't think I have any problem seeing the front sight with my regular glasses, it always amazes me how much better I shoot when I don't forget to change into the shooting glasses.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:05:30 PM »
Before he retired from public practice, my former optometrist was a retired NG Colonel. When I started talking to him about shooting glasses he knew exactly what I needed. While I don't think I have any problem seeing the front sight with my regular glasses, it always amazes me how much better I shoot when I don't forget to change into the shooting glasses.

Are you suppose to look at that thing on the end of the barrel?  I was thinking about filing it off, as it gets in the way of me being able to see the target.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
Everybody can cool their beans. I’m probably a little early releasing this info, but there is already a motion on the Congress agenda for March to revert to the previous shooting classes, effective immediately upon congress approval. I really don’t think anything else needs to be mucked with. We got in this mess last year because of so many class proposals and one did not die on the floor.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:01 AM »
But then if you redefine the traditional to include smokeless duelist you have the ones dealing with the smoke and generally heavier recoil and more possible gun malfunctions competing against smokeless.

It really just needs to go back the way it was, the three in the class rule for an award is where it should have stopped and in fact I don't even care about that. It's not like we are shooting to win a corvette, the awards arent that expensive.

ahh  YEAH
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »
Who ever thought that you would put Seniors in a class with younger folks? Trying to do better you really messed up in many ways. But as long as I can shoot I will, even if you don't score.  Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »
Here is the thing that I find so funny about the uproar over the 2017 shooting classes.  While so many people got their panties in a wad over them, and sent emails (some offensive as hell), the new shooting classes were never actually used. Yep, it was decided that, since the 2017 National was already well into the planning stage, the new division of shooters would take effect after the National. And I do not know a single posse that used them, though per the by-laws, they had to offer them if someone really wanted to shoot the category.  But they needed three to actually compete (also passed in 2017).  Why was the change made? There were complaints that there were too many categories and we needed to thin them down.  Several proposals were presented to Congress, and this one that made people lose there minds and common courtesy was the only one that got enough traction to even go to a vote.  So, it passed, but only by 3 votes. But, since it did not actually go into effect at the National level, and none of the Regionals I went to used it, it was a moot point. Even better, in 2018, we repealed the vote to narrow down the number of categories and took it back to the 2016 listing, then added even more for Senior and Elder.  While I personally do not ever shoot an age based category, nor do I think gender has any part in the scheme (yeah, my wife can outshoot me and I am damn proud of her!), we expanded Senior and Elder.  I think this is fine for those that want to use age based categories.  So now, instead of the 23 categories fo 2016, we now have 41 categories.  A little something for everyone, with a healthy dose of irony.  Just be glad It did not get thinned to 4-gun, 3-gun, 2-gun (divided by powder and hold), 3-gun, 4-gun Pistoleer, and Originals.  Total 15 categories, with minimum 3 per category.  I would have proposed that. Think of how simple that would be.

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »

Like it!
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 05:24:57 AM »
Just be glad It did not get thinned to 4-gun, 3-gun, 2-gun (divided by powder and hold), 3-gun, 4-gun Pistoleer, and Originals.  Total 15 categories, with minimum 3 per category.  I would have proposed that. Think of how simple that would be.

DITTO !    K.I.S.S  :-*
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »
Well, now, thought I'd seen them all...
OK, it used to be easy, I just went and shot and didn't worry about a 'class'. The Secretary or whomever was running the list took my name and number ('Ol Gabe NCOWS #925, back then the 900's where high!), paid my $ and had as much fun as I could stand, but now I dunno, where do I fit in, which class do I shoot in? I'm not lost, jist powerfully confused!
I'm 70, shoot with both hands, can use 2 guns, can use a rifle, can use a shotgun, all with smokeless, need a pair of 4-footed canes or a wheeled walker with a seat for balance and stability (read so I don't fall over), need assistance carrying firearms to the firing line including through the stage and back to the loading table, need a loud-voiced timer person beside me to make sure I'm on the right target and when to stop.
Sound like an easy one to figure out? "...lay on McDuff!" I'm open for discussion and opinions on this one as I will probably show up someday and need it all!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925 
P.S. I recall a discussion awhile back that told of a member/Shooter in a wheelchair and another member commented on it as it was seen at the Natls. No doubt the enjoyment level for that Shooter was indeed sky high!

Offline OklaTom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
Well, now, thought I'd seen them all...
OK, it used to be easy, I just went and shot and didn't worry about a 'class'. The Secretary or whomever was running the list took my name and number ('Ol Gabe NCOWS #925, back then the 900's where high!), paid my $ and had as much fun as I could stand, but now I dunno, where do I fit in, which class do I shoot in? I'm not lost, jist powerfully confused!
I'm 70, shoot with both hands, can use 2 guns, can use a rifle, can use a shotgun, all with smokeless, need a pair of 4-footed canes or a wheeled walker with a seat for balance and stability (read so I don't fall over), need assistance carrying firearms to the firing line including through the stage and back to the loading table, need a loud-voiced timer person beside me to make sure I'm on the right target and when to stop.
Sound like an easy one to figure out? "...lay on McDuff!" I'm open for discussion and opinions on this one as I will probably show up someday and need it all!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925 
P.S. I recall a discussion awhile back that told of a member/Shooter in a wheelchair and another member commented on it as it was seen at the Natls. No doubt the enjoyment level for that Shooter was indeed sky high!

Well, to keep it simple, pick what you want to shoot (every class involves a rifle), shoot with two hands in the Elder category if you want, and shoot from a wheel chair if you need to for safety. There will always be helpful folks to tote your guns to and from a stage. When the Texas Peacemakers we’re still around, we had ramps up to stages because one member was disabled and had to move about in one of those electric carts. Never was a problem.

OklaTom@att.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com