Author Topic: Freeman Army 44 cal.  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Racing

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Freeman Army 44 cal.
« on: December 19, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »
Didn´t know which heading to put this under,as the Freeman is considered a secondary martial gun,so...i guess here is a place as good as any.

There´s sort of a story to this. I live in Scandinavia and thus i normally look for cap n ball guns on the US side of the atlantic. Gunbroker and so on.
Well. Recently got hit by half severe back problems which for the time being has sort of made me end up in a chair here at home. So..nothing all that much better to do,google myself to death.
As was i didn´t really know all that much of civil war guns,but reading up one thing led to another right,and all of a sudden i was looking for Spillers and what have you not.
Then.
An auction in Britain of all places,and a Freeman Army. Could say set to be part of said auction but..i´m an idiot and overlooked the actual auction.
"To hell with it". Right?
Revisited the auction site and lo n behold! The Freeman didn´t sell! Not only that,not ONE bid! So..i wrote the auctioneer and asked and..sure enough. For sale!

After a lot of mailing back n forth we finally arrived on a deal and the rest as they say is history. Now,seing how close up on x-mas this is i highly doubt that thing there will end up with me before x-mas but be that as it may,as long as the thing shows up.

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Freeman.htm

A little something to read on the Freeman revolvers.

For better for worse the gun´s been reblued. Not to the point where they´ve gone crazy sanding it down,more the contrary really. Like..they just cleaned the thing before letting it hit the blueing tank.

Indeed there´s those claiming resemblance to the Rogers&Spencer revolvers and be that as it may (it´s said that Freeman was bought up by R&S as they started making revolvers at the end of the war) it still stands that the Freeman share looks to part both with the R&S as the Remingtons IMO.

Indeed a tapered 7,5" barrel,and i guess we can relate to that too right....

For a lanyard loop i guess?

I guess the reblueing is a few yrs old,but that aside it strikes me as whoever reblued it didn´t really adress the pitting (Ie,sanding the steel down to get rid of the pores) in a brutal manner exactly.
More so it almost strikes me as they basically just cleaned the piece and let it hit the blueing tank?
Hm. Future will tell i guess and in this case i also presume the gun will show up rather quickly seing that it just has to be shipped within the EEC,as i bought it in Great Britain.

Seing the lack of wear n tear at the muzzle i guess this gun has led a rather placid life? Guess so at least,just judging from the pics alone thus far. Most severe pitting as i can see it is at the actual topstrap in itself? No idea as to why?

Yup. Indeed one of the originals. Again. This is a rather scarse gun and as such..left on your own maintaining and servicing the piece. All good as far as i´m concerned as long as it just shows up!  :o

Pricing of these pieces is..at the deep end seing old civil war guns. Yes. I got this,relatively,real cheap and i guess from the fact that the auctioneers didn´t really do their homework.
Well.
Good for me right   ;D

This though i guess will be a gun that i bring back to operating and full working and so on standards,shoot a couple of rounds to make it perform as it should,or more to the point KNOWING that it does,and thereafter basically lay on one of the shelves of that safe of mine.
...and take it from there.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: Freeman Army 44 cal.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
Great find!

Condition looks fairly good, even with the reblueing.

Hope it's a shooter.

Thanks for sharing.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »
Very cool.  I had never heard of the Freeman before!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:53:27 AM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
My Dear Racing -

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for posting this! I am looking forward to your further missives once you get it in your hands.
I hope your back heals up soon - is there much they can do for you for a damaged disc?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Racing

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:15:49 AM »
Thx for your thoughts Prof.

As of current we really don´t know if it´s a busted disc or not. I´m off for a MR come feb 13th,and after that we´ll know i guess. But even the doc says that i´m to flexible for it to be a ruptured disc/hernia so the odds right now is for a bleeding or a dislocated disc. Meanwhile..i´m on morphine out the fabled... *sighs*
Yeah well,altho REAL slow i AM getting better. Week by week.

For the gun in turn.
Like we discussed at another forum it being sent from Britain in its own rights,this is getting a bit ridiculous. Gun was bought n paid for mid dec and still hasn´t showed up.
The auction house is reputable enough though so i have no worries it´ll show up,eventually. As we agreed on Britain about closes down for the hollidays,and i´ve got no issues with that,but hey..we´re at jan 9th as is and i don´t feel i´d be straining it asking for some results here. Enough already,sort of.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:53:03 AM »
Neat!  I have never heard of a Freeman either.   Will have something new to research, excellent.   I am guessing that is for a lanyard loop.   My wife has started to hate that word as it seems on a lot of things I watch, the hero/heroes are constantly dropping their weapons.   I usually comment that a lanyard would fix this.   (This happens on Supernatural all the time.  I think they even had a joke about it in an episode)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »
...   I am guessing that is for a lanyard loop. ....

Oh my no, everyone knows the hole in the bottom of the grrip is where you fill it with water....

yhs
prof marbels
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Racing

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:30:14 AM »
Update time.

For reasons beyond me the revolver still hasn´t been shipped but i got an e-mail telling me it´ll go out friday.
With a little luck that means it´ll show up here late next week,and come friday i´m off for Spain for a couple of days again.
Sure took their time getting asses in gear but better late then never i guess.

Gonna be a REAL hoot picking this piece apart!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com