Author Topic: Oh my! A Uberti 1858 Gated Conversion headed my way.  (Read 10406 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Oh my! A Uberti 1858 Gated Conversion headed my way.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 12:57:05 AM »
Major, speaking of knuckle knockers, my sa's are old model vaqueros and with my arthritis in the middle knuckle that gets knocked they have become a little uncomfortable to shoot. I have reduced the powder charge, the next thing would be to lighten the bullet. But have you ever reshaped the front of the grip frame or rear of the guard to eliminate this? Has anyone?

Greetings My Dear Ed -

I recall a fellow with huge hands who silver soldered more metal to the backstrap and ground away some from thefront of the grip frame
on his Pietta, there is quite a bit of metal there.

I have hogged away some as well, in pursuit of the ever-popular "burd head grip"

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
Speaking of "knuckle knocking," the Gated Remington, even though it is an Uberti, still beat up my knuckle of my middle finger. At the local match, shooting 25 rounds from it, it wasn't too bad. At the annual match where I fired about 100 rounds from the Remington, my knuckle was bruised and sore.  It was so bad that the last day, I double wrapped it in two bandages for padding.... Hrumph. The only two shots I dropped at the match were on the last stage with the Remington because I was flinching so bad. A week later and it is still sore...  You would not think that the 1860 grip would be that much different, but it is.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
Speaking of "knuckle knocking," the Gated Remington, even though it is an Uberti, still beat up my knuckle of my middle finger. At the local match, shooting 25 rounds from it, it wasn't too bad. At the annual match where I fired about 100 rounds from the Remington, my knuckle was bruised and sore.  It was so bad that the last day, I double wrapped it in two bandages for padding.... Hrumph. The only two shots I dropped at the match were on the last stage with the Remington because I was flinching so bad. A week later and it is still sore...  You would not think that the 1860 grip would be that much different, but it is.

Ah My Good toluene Tolumnyj Lawman...   

That must be why Remington modified the frame for the model 1875 cartridge revolver.

Have you considered rebuilding or modifying the trigger guard (and trigger if req’d) ? That has been done by others with such issues.
It seems a shame to damage ones knuckles....

Or other frame mods as discussed elsewhere?

I myself would even entertain a modification to make it more like a R&S , although that does destroy the historicity....
Or gawd help me, force it to accept an 1860 grip!  Bwahahahahaha!

Yhs
Prof (needing less caffeine ) Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:55:06 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 10:13:34 PM »
Off the fence!  Decided to sell the 1858 gated.  I much prefer the 51/60 grips on the Colt conversions.  Switching to an R&D cylinder in an 1860 to go with my Type II Richards....  Less than I have in it, as I had to pay dealer fees to get it for the article.

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/277184-wts-cimarron-uberti-1858-gated-conversion-45-coltschofield-cowboy-chronicle-article-gun/

I started getting knuckle knock at High Sierra, then noticed it again at the match yesterday.  No Knuckle Knock from my Colt OT grips/  I must have fat knuckles!  I do have big hands, though.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 07:42:50 AM »
Does anyone know which caliber the original gated nma conversions were chambered in? 46rimfire or 44martin centerfire or both? I believe the gateless were 6 shots for the martin cartridge. Thanks

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
Does anyone know which caliber the original gated nma conversions were chambered in? 46rimfire or 44martin centerfire or both? I believe the gateless were 6 shots for the martin cartridge. Thanks

Usually 44 Martin.  Most .46 Rimfires were thin plate conversions.  There are, however, few absolutes with Conversion revolvers.  Private conversions may be found in unusual calibers both with and without a loading gate. IIRC, there was a five shot .45 Colt Long Cylinder Conversion discovered with a loading gate.

About 25 years ago, I handled an original .46 Rimfire.  That gave me the conversion bug.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »
I just purchased one of those 1858 Gated Conversions in .45 Colt.  I really like it and it was very accurate with my .45 Schofields with a 250 grain RCBS RN.  The only complaint is the front sight.  With my damaged eyes, I could hardly see it.  So now it is at my gunsmith's to get a wider front sight.  I'm sure that it will be a great BP gun in my collection.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com