Author Topic: Oh my! A Uberti 1858 Gated Conversion headed my way.  (Read 10405 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Oh my! A Uberti 1858 Gated Conversion headed my way.
« on: December 16, 2017, 09:29:10 PM »
Whilst conversing with Cimarron about the upcoming Chronicle article about their Richards Type II article I wrote, we discussed other guns I would like to write about.  I said, "how about an Uberti 1858 gated conversion in .45 Colt?"  Well, lo and behold, it showed up at my local gun shop yesterday, along with a Texas Jack slim Jim holster for it.  This is going to be fun: a Richards Type II in one hand and a Remington gated conversion in the other.  My 1860 Henry will be very happy... ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Oh my! A Uberti 1858 Gated Conversion headed my way.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:39:29 AM »
It will be interesting, how your 1st. impressions have endured.
You did an article 10 years ago on this very model.
You traded it to me you'll recall,  I had for several years but traded it myself.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 08:46:17 AM »
I do recall, Sir! ;D  I am thinking it would be good to pair with my Richards Type II.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:23:44 PM »

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
I'm interested to see what you think of it. I've been eyeing one of these for a few months now. Granted, I'm eyeing a lot of guns, at all times.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
I had one before 12 or 13 years ago when they first came out and really liked it.   I traded it to Major2.  I am in a different place now with my Cowboy Action Shooting.  I care more about historical and love of conversions than I did then.  A gated 1858 conversion and a Richards Type II conversion seem perfect match for my Henry.  I even have some .44 Colt box labels for my .45 Schofield boxes.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
Wow!  I visited my 1858 gated conversion while it is in 10 day Kaliforncation jail (along with a 583 series Mini-14).  It has the absolute BEST trigger pull of any out of the box imported CAS pistol I have ever seen.  It is smooth, no creep, and crisp at about 2 to 2.5 lbs tops.  I can't wait.  With the 1858s great sight picture and that trigger pull, I have a feeling it will be my "accuracy pistol" for the long or delicate shots.  Up to now, I have been using the Richards Type II in that role, as I shoot it more accurately than the 1875 Schofield.  This is going to be sweet! ;D ;D ;D ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 10:31:40 PM »
A local shooter named Chisos got a pair of them in 44-40 (shooting smokeless, alas  :D )  several years ago, and while he is not a fast shooter, he did go a whole bunch of matches before having his first pistol miss.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:12:33 AM »
I'll say this with Black Hills factory cowboy loads, mine was a accurate shooter, I did shoot some BP loads and it was very good as well.
Only issue , to me it was somewhat an uncomfortable grip, seemed front heavy and cramped my knuckles when fired.
Because of this it languished in the safe  ::) most of the time I had it.
It did not pair well ( a personal feel ) with my Richards Type II (main match) .

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:46:26 AM »
i use a pair of ubert 58's in stainless with 5.5" barrels and gated kirst konverters in 45colt as my main match guns... they both have action jobs, wolff springs and custom front sites (uberti blades are too thin for my eyes). I absolutely love them!!!

Offline Joe4d

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »
Thinking of getting that exact gun to use for mounted shooting, How do u think these hold up compared to the Rugers ?
I have a 58 remington with the removable conversion cylinder as 1 gun, just need a second and mine is kinda a pain to reload.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »
Thinking of getting that exact gun to use for mounted shooting, How do u think these hold up compared to the Rugers ?
I have a 58 remington with the removable conversion cylinder as 1 gun, just need a second and mine is kinda a pain to reload.

Rugers are a tank, especially the large ones.  You would go broke if all you did was Vaquero repairs!  With that said, the 1858 is a robust design, and I think it in the 5.5" would be dandy for mounted.  With a R&D in one, and the gated conversion in the other, muscle memory would be the same.  Besides, you would get class points!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
Update:  Got to shoot it at a local match.  wow, dead nuts on!  Shot clean on pistol targets, including steel chickens at 25 yards!  Action, smooth and crisp, and about a 3 lb trigger.  The Uberti 1858s, including the gated conversion, seem to be a little bit bigger between trigger guard and grip frame area.  With mu 6.0 grains Trail Boss in a 45 Schofiled case with a  200 grain bullet, I did not get the third finger knuckle bump I got from my Piettas with R&D cylinders.

I'll shoot it on paper and see how and where exactly it groups.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:39:42 PM »
Update:  Got to shoot it at a local match.  wow, dead nuts on!  Shot clean on pistol targets, including steel chickens at 25 yards!  Action, smooth and crisp, and about a 3 lb trigger.  The Uberti 1858s, including the gated conversion, seem to be a little bit bigger between trigger guard and grip frame area.  With mu 6.0 grains Trail Boss in a 45 Schofiled case with a  200 grain bullet, I did not get the third finger knuckle bump I got from my Piettas with R&D cylinders.

I'll shoot it on paper and see how and where exactly it groups.
Congrats. Thanks for the post on this. I find these things tack-nailers.

I don't get that knuckle bump on mine, either. Maybe because they're Ube's, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
I had an Uberti gated conversion before when they first came out, and did not remember knuckle bump on it.  When I got my Piettas with R&D, I did get knuckle bump.  It would be interesting to see them side by side.  I remember reading somewhere that Piettas are closer to the original NMA than Ubertis, which are a bit larger.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »
This may help with this question

years ago Euroarms made the closest to Grips sizing  (first photo)
Uberti was also close with their percussion guns.

Pietta deviated from their earlier offerings with what they advertised "Shooter Grips" (second photo)
They phased out the earlier smaller grips in the mid 80's

Last photo is the Uberti Forged Frame conversion generally larger in most areas of the frame window & grips.

I owned all versions Lyman (Euroarms), both Pietta's grip profiles , Uberti Percussions & the very Forged Frame conversion TL
mentions "when they first came out" ( became mine with trade with him).

The Pietta "Shooter Grip's" are culprit... most mentioned knuckle kockers...

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 04:37:34 PM »
Major, speaking of knuckle knockers, my sa's are old model vaqueros and with my arthritis in the middle knuckle that gets knocked they have become a little uncomfortable to shoot. I have reduced the powder charge, the next thing would be to lighten the bullet. But have you ever reshaped the front of the grip frame or rear of the guard to eliminate this? Has anyone?
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »
No Ed I have not....

I have defarbed a number of Uberti's ,  a few Lyman for film props ....
I shied away from Pietta because of larger grips and the added work to remove the Logo & lawyer stuff on the barrels.

Thats not to say I have not bought a bunch of them (Pietta ) as deep background extra holster props, where camera close chances up did not exist.
These were for the most part sold after production wrapped.

The last Remington I personally owned was the Conversion I got in trade with TL ....I sold it last year.

I do concur , with TL & Abilene , these are tack drivers .....

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 04:58:16 AM »
This may help with this question

years ago Euroarms made the closest to Grips sizing  (first photo)
Uberti was also close with their percussion guns.

Pietta deviated from their earlier offerings with what they advertised "Shooter Grips" (second photo)
They phased out the earlier smaller grips in the mid 80's...

I have a Pietta made in 1975 and did a SxS comparison with an original Remington and you'd be hard put to tell any difference in dimensions. However, people are larger today and as a result stocks on pistols & rifles are generally larger.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »
Update:  Have used the Uberti gated conversion at 5 matches so far.  Loads are .45 Schofield case, 200 grain bullet, and 6.0 grains of Trail Boss.  VERY accurate, and no knuckle knock.  I have not missed a single shot with the Uberti gated conversion! It is easier to shoot accurately at 25 yards than my Uberti Richards Type II in 45, using the same load.  At our club, we shoot a steel turkey at 25 yards in some scenarios.

I am working on a Cowboy Chronicle article on it as we speak... Just need some nice weather to do pictures.  I like it so much, I am pairing it with my 1860 conversion, so I sold my Schofield.  The 1858 gated has MUCH better sights than the Schofield.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 11:32:28 PM »
Shot the Remmy Gated at High Sierra Shootout at Railroad Flat, CA.  Loved it.  Also got around to finishing the Cowboy Chronicle article on it and taking pictures.

The Star:

Me shooting it at RR Flat:

My 200 grain, RN .45 Schofield ".44 Martin/Colt/Remington duplication" load.  Sandwiched between two of my .44 Colts.  Uses a 200 grain, .452" bullet like the originals (though not heeled).

The .44s in the pictures are from my collection, and the box label is a copy of an original from the web.  It is on a Cheyenne Pioneer Cartridge Box (.45 Schofield) from Dixie Gunworks

A couple more pics:

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com