Author Topic: Auto powder dispenser. .  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Auto powder dispenser. .
« on: December 16, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »
I just got my Christmas present.  It' is a  Hornady auto powder dispenser.  When I looked at the directions it sain not to use it with black powder.  So, what gives?  What is on the unit that could ignite black powder and not heathen fad smokeyless powder?

Anyway, I got it set up and tested.  Really works great to +_1/10 grain very repeatably and consistently.  The Demonstration Disk they sent with it won't play on anything I have including my DVD player.  But, that's ok because the direction folder is very good.  It's printed on some kind of thick shiny card stock for long term use and wear.

I do intend to use it with black powder when developing loads for guns like my lil Spur trigger Remington .31 with Kirst Konverter cylinder chambered for .32 S&W.  Just a thought.  I have a long supply of FFFFg bp and I'm thinkn' that lil gun would benefit from the fine granularity.  The case only holds around 2.5 grains and it needs all the oomph it can get.  I shoot the DD 32-80 Big Lube® bullets from it.

So, anyway, who can shed some light on the "No Black Powder" restriction in the Hornady instruction book.  I mean, if it's just lawyer proofing I'll ignore it.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Auto powder dispenser. .
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
I have the same machine, and I wondered the same thing.  My only guess is that because it does have an electric motor, and black powder is so easy to ignite, there could be a pretty serious explosion if some fines managed to come into contact with the motor brushes.  I hadn't really considered that before I purchased it, but I've heeded the warning and have relegated it to smokeless loads only.  It does an excellent job with those, by the way. 

For blackpowder loads, I just use a modified older Dillon measure which I've mounted high over a drop tube, and it has been throwing consistent 35 grain FFF charges for my .45 Colt loads.  You can see it here:  starting at the 5:42 minute mark.

Until I got the Hornady for smokeless I used to use that same Dillon measure mounted on a wooden stand to which I'd attached a homemade vibrator, and it did a pretty good job for me with smokeless loads.  But when I relegated it to blackpowder only, I removed the vibrator, because Hornady's warning made me think about the electric motor on my homemade vibrator causing a catastrophe. 

P.S., though I linked only to the section where that powder measure is being used, your PRS Big LubeTM mold and bullets are featured elsewhere in the video.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
Just start using smokeless Dick!  ;D ::) ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:44:52 PM »

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:45:29 AM »
Dick,
I might not live past my next reloading session but I have been using RCBS's Chargemaster with BP for years.  
I have read that the old Lyman 55 Measure was originally for BP.  As I'm sure you are fully aware, It and almost all other's now carry a "disclaimer".  
I will also say that Redding's 10X Pistol / Rifle measure is extremely accurate with BP.

OD#3:  That is a neat contraption.  I think I might rebuild mine.  I use a Dillon 550 loading the 44-40.  I have a drop tube set up on my 1st station.  (I prime with an RCBS hand tool.  My cases have already been sized and belled using another toolhead.)   At # 1 I have a Dillon 45 Colt powder die set up.  The 44-40 case just pushes up the 45 sliding portion without the 45 expander entering the case.  The  32" copper tube just sits in the top of the Dillon die and is raised as the shell is raised.  I have it supported by a pipe contraption.  A funnel is at the top.  #2 is the powder compression die, # 3 is the Redding bullet seater and # 4 is the crimp die.  

While I'm compressing / seating the Chargemaster is pouring / weighing powder.  Pretty nice.  The only problem is, I have to get up out of my chair to pour it down the tube.   :-[

Billy

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
I can't contribute anything meaningful on this one.  I don't have the referenced machine.  I have however, noticed most ALL the manufacturers of reloading machines instill caveats with their stuff.  But, and however:

Contrary to published hokum, I load ALL my BP/SUB cartridges on a Dillon 650 with an unaltered Dillion Powder measure.  I'm still here.
I do admit to a bit of hassle with APP 2f.  Stuff is like gravel and bridges every so often.  Lights off my powder alarm.  3f on the other hand, runs thru my Dillion(s) like wet grain thru a goose.

This has provided absolutely no useful contribution to DDDs' observations/Questions.  I don't have a Hornady anything except perhaps my Toad.  Therefore, this missive may be completely ignored.  If you've gotten this far ..... GOTCHA!!  ::)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the drop tube when measuring black? It's been many, many years since I messed with black and don't ever remember using a tube. I'm thinking that I used a lee dipper to measure it and dump it into the case.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
I've been loading BP 45-70 rds for years with my Lyman DPS III 'lectronic dispenser.

That tool has become indispensable for all my rifle reloading.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
It is my opinion, which probably isn't worth 2 cents, that powder measures and black powder is simply old wives tales and legal fear.  I have personally seen experiments where black powder was subjected to intense static electricity in an effort to ignite the powder.  the bottom line is it will not!  Consequently, I load black powder in my Dillon 650 for 45 Colt and 44-40 Winchester, in my Lyman 55, in my Ponsness/Warren shotshell loader, and in my MVA designated black powder measure...all with the same non-catastrophic result.
If I suddenly stop posting here, check with PJ Hardtack before you assume I have been reduced to molecular DNA.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
The drop tube helps to compact/settle the powder and align/interlock the grains for a more consistant burn.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
Thanks, Drydock and Yeso Bill.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
 I've only ran about 3 cases of black thru my Hornady dispenser. Lost track of how many cases of black the Lyman dps lll went thru..
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
My only reason for using my new Hornady auto dispenser is to work up loads for some new caliber.  I can do that just as well with my LEE measuring dippers.  I was posting to learn if there were any new revelations concerning bp powder with said unit.  Seeing none, I'll use due care and go ahead and use the unit for my intended purposes.  Once I have determined the actual load I want, I'll simply dip it and be good to go with that.

I do load heathen fad smokeyless powder for a goodly number of high intensity rifle cartridges from .17 Hornet to 8mm Remington Magnum.  With the fad powder I do appreciate the versatility of the digital auto scale.

Don't worry pards, I don't smoke while reloading anything with anything.  Fire and powder just don't play well together.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
I do load heathen fad smokeyless powder for a goodly number of high intensity rifle cartridges from .17 Hornet to 8mm Remington Magnum. 
DD-MDA

NO Dick, NO!!!! Say it ain't true!! Ahhhhh!!! :o :o :'( :'( Not you--anything I/we can do??? I'm shocked and devastated!!! :'(
The 'Darksider's Den' will never be the same!  :'( :'( We'll all be here for ya-just breathe deep and count to ten. :o :o
 ;D ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
Howdy Crow Choker, and Merry Christmas!

Yes, I do load a lot of heathen fad smokeyless ammo for myself and others.  It just shows me how good Holy Black is.  BP is so much easier to load.  I've never loaded a double charge of bp in anything.  It just spills all over.  God bless the black!

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline greenjoytj

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 07:11:22 AM »
I just got my Christmas present.  It' is a  Hornady auto powder dispenser.  When I looked at the directions it sain not to use it with black powder.  So, what gives?  What is on the unit that could ignite black powder and not heathen fad smokeyless powder

So, anyway, who can shed some light on the "No Black Powder" restriction in the Hornady instruction book.  I mean, if it's just lawyer proofing I'll ignore it.

DD-MDA

I use my RCBS Chargemaster and a Redding Match-Grade Model 3BR powder dispenser with BP, they work great.
The 3BR is faster but not as constant, the Chargemaster is always spot on.

The do not use with BP warnings is to protect the company’s that make the equipment.  As you say it is just lawyer proofing.  If you have any worries about static electricity just put a loop of bare copper wire over the dispensers hopper and ground the other end of the wire to your house ground or copper water pipe.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 08:10:06 AM »
I must ask if anybody has ever heard of an black powder explosion caused by an auto powder dispenser from Hornady, RCBS, Lyman or any other?

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com