Author Topic: 56-50 reloading crimping  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
56-50 reloading crimping
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
I have an Armi Sport Spencer in 56-50.  I have all the reloading done except crimping. I have the Lyman 3 die set but want to taper crimp.  Does anyone know if Lyman or anyone else makes a die that will taper crimp?  The cartridges fit nicely in the chamber if I load one at a time but won’t feed correctly if I use the stock loading magazine. The bullets are firmly seated with no play at all so I am not concerned about movement forward or backwards. Thanks.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: 56-50 reloading crimping
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
I don't know if this is a factor, but I do know that my Lyman 56-50 dies did not size the brass enough.  In my case, the bullets would crimp into place, but could still be twisted/twirled in the cases.  You say that yours are tight, but I wonder if the sizing is an issue.

On the other hand, overall length and bullet shape (or hardness) seem to be more of a factor in proper feeding from the magazines.  Have you had other loads successfully feed?

You may be well ahead of all of this.  If I'm not speaking to the point, please disregard my feeble attempts to assist.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:20:33 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 03:37:57 AM »
You WILL have to experiment with OAL to get good feeding, this is critical with the Spencer action.  This may be your only problem. Most folks start off loading these rounds too short it seems.  The Repro likes a longer OAL than the published spec for the original.  This is most likely due to bullet design, the originals were far more pointed than what we use now.

However, the Lyman dies are repurposed .50-70 dies, and most often work badly if at all with the Reproduction Spencer and Starline brass.  They are really meant for original Spencers and cut down 50-70 brass.

Get the RCBS dies.  Good discussion here:  www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,58510.0.html
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Lucky I bought the Lyman Dies through Amazon. Easy to return. I will get the RCBS dies. I read the other thread. Frustrating that Lyman continues to sell these.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »
My RCBS dies have served me well.  I still have my Lyman dies and I can't sell them in good conscience.  Maybe I'll find a use for them someday.

As far as crimping, I use a different bullet, but I roll a crimp into the crimp groove (just enough to hold it) and my loads cycle very well.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
As just another 56-50 owner, I experienced the same as others stated here.

Bought my Spencer back in '05 or '06.  Bought the Starline brass and Lyman dies at that time.  My first loading went great and shot practice round and even a match.  When I went to reload with everything being the same, as original first loading, the bullets either slide in the case easily and/or did not crimp tight.  They just spun in the casing.  I took those apart.

So, I did as others stated back then and took a little off the Lyman crimp die.  That had no effect on improving the crimp.  So I stopped all reloading.  Therefore, I have never reloaded the rounds fired back from 06 and never fired the remaining loaded.  The loading issues keep me for firing the rifle I wanted since I was 15 years old.  Stupid but true.  After having spent more than enough money to get started I just could not convince my wife or myself to spent another $70 to $80 they wanted for RCBS back then.

Well just this year (August) I came across a 'one time' deal on Amazon for the RCBS Legacy 20104 Spencer dies.  Well just the little experimenting I have done indicates that loading will end up Better.  I can now reload and shoot that Spencer without concerns about using up my only working loads.

PS -- All blackpowder only.
Black River Smith

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
I received my RCBS dies today and successfully crimped the bullets. They now feed from the magazine fine. Thanks guys.  I will put a review on the Lyman dies on Amazon so people will be less likely to buy them.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »
Excellent.  It's good to hear of a problem solved.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com