Author Topic: Need Some Advice  (Read 6561 times)

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Need Some Advice
« on: December 15, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
I found two interesting pistols yesterday in a little gun shop in Green Bay, WI. Or as we like to call it "Title Town USA". The first one is a Smith Hand Eject in .32-20. It's a little rough, might have been reblued at one time, but a shooter! It has a broken firing pin and the cylinder does not lock up tight. Rotates a little. Are parts still available and is it worth $225.00 as is?  The second pistol is a Baby Browning. Again not in pristine condition, but I would say in real good condition. It comes with it's original leather gun case but no box. Asking price is $399.00, is it worth it?

Any help will be appreciated!

Reed "Two-Bit Charlie" Van Ness

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Need Some Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
That sounds like a very fair price for a Baby Browning in the condition you describe.  Sorry to say I don't know much about parts availability on older S&W's.  All but one of my AZSA revolvers are Colts.  Timing issues are very common on revolvers of that vintage.

Did you guys get anything going in your part of the world for Gangster Action shooting?  I'm always getting people asking about where they can shoot this game in other parts of the country.  It would be great to be able to point shooters your way if you have.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
No, nothing yet. I'm  voice in the wilderness. I'm going to see if some of the cowboy clubs might let me shoot along with them to demonstrate Zoot Shooting. I thought the old Smith and the Baby Browning would make good back up guns.

Reed

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:05:25 AM »

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
Around here, that's a little high on the Baby Browning (maybe $50 or so).  they just aren't that popular here.  The price on the Smith sounds about right. 

Firing pin for the Smith is no problem: drill the end off the rivet, punch it out from the other side, and remove the old pin.  Install the new pin, rivet it in place, and polish the head of the rivet flush with the sides of the hammer.  To get most other parts, you'll need to know which version you have and then scrounge used parts.  Depending on how loose it is, a good smith may be able to tighten it up.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
$225 sounds about fair for the Smith & Wesson Hand Eject in .32-20.

I have a 4th model  that was my Dads . It saw service on his 32' Launch went it (the boat ) was pressed into service as a Coast Guard aux Coast watching service in the early months of WWII.
He gave the S&W  to me about 50 years ago, it is priceless ....still in good condition and occasionally shot.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
No, nothing yet. I'm  voice in the wilderness. I'm going to see if some of the cowboy clubs might let me shoot along with them to demonstrate Zoot Shooting. I thought the old Smith and the Baby Browning would make good back up guns.

Reed
I'll got some Zoot approved gun. I am willing to give it a try next spring.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 05:51:05 AM »
Slim, keep in touch. I'm going to see if Doc Bonecutter, over in Ripon, will let us shoot Zoot along with them to show people what it's like. I'm sure he won't have a problem with that. He might even shoot Zoot with us.

Reed "Machine Gun Charlie"  Van Ness

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
Slim, keep in touch. I'm going to see if Doc Bonecutter, over in Ripon, will let us shoot Zoot along with them to show people what it's like. I'm sure he won't have a problem with that. He might even shoot Zoot with us.

Reed "Machine Gun Charlie"  Van Ness
Sounds good.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »
It saw service on his 32' Launch went it (the boat ) was pressed into service as a Coast Guard aux Coast watching service in the early months of WWII.
I just learned something new, as I thought the only boats that got pressed into Coast Guard service were captured Rum Runners during the Rum Wars.

Machine Gun Charlie; Have you tried this:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/revolvers-sw/32-hand-eject
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 05:46:36 AM »
I just learned something new, as I thought the only boats that got pressed into Coast Guard service were captured Rum Runners during the Rum Wars.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2015/october/the-coastal-picket-force.asp

Dad and his  32-foot cruiser "Lenape" service was Feb.  1942  till about Aug '42... his  area of operation ...the Miami River mouth , Biscayne Bay , Cape Florida to Fowey Rocks  and North Key Largo .
With 1 or 2 Coasties on board Dad skippered , put out most nights at midnight to 8 or 9 AM from his Miami River berth near the 2nd Ave. Bridge.
Dad was employed as a Union Movie Projectionist ... and worked at the theater to about 11PM - 6 days a week and volunteered the "Lenape" and his service 12PM to 8AM....
As larger vessels were built or procured for the Coast Guard, the civilian fleet was phased out ...

please forgive the thread shift  ;)

Anyway , My (Dads) 32-20 S&W 4th Model hand ejector ....saw war time service  :)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 06:43:01 AM »
please forgive the thread shift  ;)
Oh, I'm sure it will be forgiven as I happen to know that the Moderator is real interested in Coastie activity during the "Zoot" era.  ;)

I love S&W hand ejectors. Most of mine are round butts. Here are a few of mine:

The M-1899 was an Army issue. I've replaced the grips since I got it, but they still aren't the correct ones. I cant find ones with the correct inspectors marks. The holster shown is a later issue as well. The photo is from the add on Gunbroker. The Model 10's with pearl grips have consecutive serial numbers.

Machinegun Charlie; I found spare parts for my 1899 on E-bay. I'm sure all the parts are available, you just will have to look. Some parts are virtually unchanged in the last 119 years.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
My gun is as my Dad gave it to me...in 1971 , grips are original ....however the grip screw & threaded escutcheon is are replacements.
The originals were brass and corroded solid, they rung off when I removed them to clean.. :(
Number penciled on the grips match the Frame.
Dad had that very same holster he carried the Gun in...in fact he stored the gun it for all those years.... :o

When it was given to me, I removed it and stored in a Silicone Sock.... sadly the holster was misplaced ....dang it !

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »
M-2, I have an S&W 32-20 that's about a match to yours, except a 4"barrel (yours appears to be longer, maybe 5"?). Min's missing some finish, but mechanically sound and shoots well. Picked it up at a gun show maybe 20-25 years ago. Maybe I'll have to get it out and load some ammo, when I can get the loading shed somewhat above freezing.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 12:33:56 AM »
I know my Dad acquired the S&W in the 30's ,  The story goes he saw a classified ad in the Miami News or Herald...
Guns for sale ...He and my Uncle went to the address and there were several guns on the guys dinning room table.
My Dad had owned a Marlin in 32/20 and like the caliber... So he bought the Smith.

imagine that  :o  A (now) very liberal news paper, with open classified ads for private gun sales, WITH the guys ADDRESS
and I assume phone number .... NO FFL , no background , on transfer paperwork ....just show up , view the guns on a open table , and buy one !
OH! the horror,    :o 

The Miami News & Herald are both part of the Chicago Tribune conglomerate.... Chicago Tribune probably the MOST Liberal anti-gun RAG there is....

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
In regards to the S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector I have a 1st Model with a broke center pin and found they are impossible to find. I do not know if the other parts are a problem also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com