Author Topic: Quigley saddlebags  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Redbuffalo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quigley saddlebags
« on: December 13, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »
Howdy folks,

I am starting a project to make a knock off of the saddlebags Tom Selleck carried in Quigley Down Under.   It seems pretty straight forward, except for the strap and how it works.  IT looks like it comes down the front flap and then loops through a slot to hook into the front cover of the bag, back out and secure to a buckle attached to the front flap.   This doesn't seem very strong, but it looks good.

I am including a link to a picture of a beautiful professional copy done by Chisholm Trail Old West Leather.  Their website is full of great leather and is the source for much inspiration to me.  I hope I am not doing anything wrong by linking their picture, but it is perfect.

http://www.westernleatherholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Als-Quigley-saddle-bags.jpg

Does anyone have an idea how this strap works and is attached?

Thanks
Dan

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Quigley saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:32:54 PM »
It looks like the billet end of the strap is what runs down through the slots. The buckle would then be attached to the strap coming up from the saddle bag pouch. The upper strap just goes down through the buckle. In the photo, the loose end is tucked down under the saddle bag.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
Very nice Redbuffalo, your bags look great..

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:10:06 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:59:20 AM »
I have had a pair with this.  The strap was all one piece.   The buckle end comes through the back of the billet, and was riveted just inside the bag.  Towards the top, a slot is cut for the strap to come out of the bag, it goes over the top, through the second slot and mine were positioned to buckle at the very bottom of the front.  Worked well and lasted through the last 3 years of college as they were my book bag. I ended up giving them to an old college roommate's son for his trip to college.  They lasted his 4.5 years as well.  Stronger than you would think.

Offline Redbuffalo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies,.

Does the strap loop through the slot and under another slot in the front cover or through a loop attached to the front of the bag?  It looks like there is a loop underneath the slot.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 06:49:08 AM »
Mine did not, just looped through the cover flap.   If you are using a decent weight leather (9 oz+) you will not have an issue.  I have seen great bags made of ~5 oz, but you need a couple of straps on each bag as they age.

Offline Redbuffalo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »
Mine did not, just looped through the cover flap.   If you are using a decent weight leather (9 oz+) you will not have an issue.  I have seen great bags made of ~5 oz, but you need a couple of straps on each bag as they age.

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com