Author Topic: need some clarification on categories  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Irish Walt

• Irish Walt
  • Citizen
  • SASS #: 113922
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
need some clarification on categories
« on: December 26, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
I've been thinking about getting back into the game; I shot it once or twice about 20 years ago in IL, and it was my introduction to competitive shooting of any kind. I really enjoyed it, and it was then that I learned that there's no such thing as a target too close to miss...especially true when the clock is ticking.  Shortly thereafter I moved to AZ and started shooting XTC service rifle, prone rifle, and a couple 2-gun matches here and there.  For any Phoenix-area locals, I'll likely be primarily shooting at Rio Salado's monthly match, but if time allows, I might go to a few of the other local matches.

I'm looking at the current SASS rulebook (Nov 2017, 22.3). I want to use a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros, Marlin 1894, and (likely) a Winchester '97 shotgun. Here's the categories that these particular guns fit into...I think (not counting the black powder categories):

- Wrangler (I'm 43)
  - any main match legal revolver, shot any legal way except Gunfighter style
  - any SASS main match legal shotgun
  - any main match legal rifle
- Duelist
  - any main match legal revolver shot duelist or double-duelist style
- Gunfighter
  - any main match legal revolver shot gunfighter or double-duelist style
- B-Western
  - any main match legal revolver shot any legal style
  - any SASS legal shotgun
  - any SASS legal rifle of 1880 or later design

Do I pick just ONE of these categories (ie: "Wrangler" -OR- "Gunfighter"), or do I pick an age category and one or more sub-categories (ie: Wrangler (age) / Double Duelist (style) / B-Western (costume)? I'm hoping that I just need to pick one of the above. If I had my 'druthers, I'd like to shoot in a stand-alone "Gunfighter" category (sounds/looks cool and I could use the practice with my off hand), but I don't want to dress B-Western. Dress the period, sure...but not B-Western. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much...who knows...but I don't like showing up unprepared. I know how this stuff works; show up to a match just to watch or ask questions and somehow get talked into shooting anyway. That, and I don't wanna plunk down my hard-earned (debatable...) cash for a standard belt/holster rig only to find out that I have to shoot in a B-Western costume category because of my rifle choice, and I should've bought an embellished double-buscadero rig instead.

What's the difference between "main match legal" and "SASS main match legal"? It's listed both ways and sometimes together; maybe they mean the same thing...not sure.

-WRM

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: need some clarification on categories
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »
Your guns are fine for gunfighter category, so if that is the style you want to shoot, sign up for that.  You will need to shoot each stage gunfighter style or double duelist style.  There are no special leather or clothing requirements, either.  B-Western is the only other category that allows gunfighter style but no need to go with that.

"main match legal" and "SASS main match legal" , I'd say those are the same.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: need some clarification on category
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
Welcome back. I've seen shooters change their category after seeing the match roster and who was shooting what in order to not have to compete against a certain competitor who was better than they were just to win a first place. Always thought that doing something like that was wrong. Certainly not in the spirit of the game.  I've always shot duelist, period. But some folks just have to win. WRW, pick a category and shoot it until you get as good as you can be and when it gets boring change your persona and move to another category. Buy some new shootin irons and master them. Challenge yourself and you'll not get burned out. Good luck, be safe and have fun.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:59:53 AM »

Offline Irish Walt

• Irish Walt
  • Citizen
  • SASS #: 113922
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks; that's what I was wanting to hear.

-WRM

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
I'm a regular shooter at Rio during the winter.  Ask around for Sagebrush Burns and we'll get together and palaver.  Bunch of good people at that club and if you ask for input and/or help you'll be pleased.  Next monthly match is Saturday, January 6th.  Sign-up 8 to 9 AM, shooters meeting at 9.  Hope to see you there!

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
Sagebrush won't lead you to far astray. He's a good man to get assistance from.
wK1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com