Author Topic: Godless on Netflix  (Read 8556 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Godless on Netflix
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
Just finished bing watching Godless on Netflix. No bad. Very accurate firearm representation. Lots of shootem up western drama.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: Godless on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
Just watched it also and liked it. Quite a change of roles for Jeff Daniel's  from his part in Dumb and Dumber.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:01:01 AM »
We watched it over Thanksgiving and I really enjoyed it as well.    Only complaint is in nearly every scene the Henry isn't loaded.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:20:19 AM »

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »
Watched #3 last night.  I'm loveing it. In some ways it reminds me of Deadwood - raw and hardcore.  It give you the feeling that the good guy in the white hat is not going to save the day.
Scouts Out!

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
I enjoyed it.  Particularly, Jeff Daniels' performance.  He played an interesting antagonist...I'd include him in the top 20 for best bad guy (this includes all genre of film - Heath Ledger is #1 for the Joker in my book).
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 12:29:13 AM »
Just found it and I am enjoying it also. Jeff Daniels is great.

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »
I enjoyed it as well. Great weapons assortment. Even saw a Merwin-Hulbert. I'm wordering if it's going to get a second season?
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »
Of course, they had to throw in a lesbian scene..... Not sure what the point of that was...... :-\
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
I enjoyed it as well. Great weapons assortment. Even saw a Merwin-Hulbert. I'm wordering if it's going to get a second season?

It was advertised as a limited series, so my guess is no season 2.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline David Battersby

• Very Active Citizen
  • Smokeless powder is a passing fad .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
I have one gripe with this mini-series. My wife tells me that "it's just a movie, entertainment". But I can't help it......
When Frank Griffin grabbed the 1873 Winchester he was bragging about out of the scabbard it had a brass frame.
It kicked me out of the movie for a couple of minutes, mentally. If you know what I mean.
 Other than that...... I really liked it.
 Okay, rant over. I feel better now.
John Moses Browning and Teddy Roosevelt, we need you again !
In the days of old when men were bold and a quarter was still worth a dime.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 12:57:19 AM »
Of course, they had to throw in a lesbian scene..... Not sure what the point of that was...... :-\

Exactly. It added NOTHING to the movie. Just another instance of Hollywood trying to cram that stuff down our throats.

Yeah...when Jeff Daniel's character mentioned what a great weapon the '73 Winchester was....as he slid the '66 Winchester out of the scabbard... ::)

But all in all it was a great series.

CHT 

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
When the opposite sex is limited, men turn to men (sailors, prisoners) and women turn to women.  With almost all of the men dead, what's a woman to do? Like some of the murder scenes, it was showing some of the raw truth of the frontier. 
Scouts Out!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
Well stated, Jeremiah.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »
To quote Stephen Stills, "Love the one you're with."
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »
When the opposite sex is limited, men turn to men (sailors, prisoners) and women turn to women.  With almost all of the men dead, what's a woman to do? Like some of the murder scenes, it was showing some of the raw truth of the frontier. 

If they push that crap long enough, it's starts to be believable and acceptable. They also want you to believe that in 1884 women rode horses nude down the middle of the streets of town and everyone dropped F-bombs like modern day rap stars. Again, meaningless scenes and content that had they been omitted, would not have changed the plot or theme of the movie one iota.

To quote Stephen Stills, "Love the one you're with."

You take life advice from a songwriter???? There are millions of songs out there with all sorts of messages and meanings, but that doesn't mean we should base our life choices on them.

Would you guys who thought the lesbian scene was OK feel the same if it had been two dudes tongue-swabbing each others tonsils? My wife was sitting there enjoying the series with me, it was disgusting to her.

CHT

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
 Would you guys who thought the lesbian scene was OK feel the same if it had been two dudes tongue-swabbing each others tonsils?

Just my two cents here:

A. In terms of fiction, it wouldn't really do anything for me, but no, it wouldn't offend me. If it's real life then what two consenting adults do is no business of mine, or anyone else's, in my opinion (granted, this is not the the place for that, so my apologies for going off course).
B. No one is forcing me to watch it even if it did offend me. If it did then I could skip past the scene, turn it off, leave the room and do something else, etc. The folks who made the content are free to put whatever they want in it, and I'm fre to consume it or not consume as I want. I would agree that it felt like it didn't add to the story one way or the other. As for Jeremiah Jones's comment, I'm inclined to believe that you probably did have instances of people in the past turning to the same-sex when there weren't many options, though that's just my gut assumption. I don't know of any records or facts that back it up or disprove it.

I'm sorry it offended you and your wife.

To get back on topic, I finished the series the other day. On the whole, I liked it, notwithstanding a few issues and the odd detail that was off, like the "1873" 1866.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
Sorry your wife was upset but that's what the FF or skip button is good for. No need to watch anything that is not acceptable to you. I felt the same way about the terrible language in Deadwood. Beautiful sets, costumes, correct firearms but why did it need all the extreme language all the time? The capacity and need for love is part of being human. Given the parameters of the story being told it was inevitable.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 04:21:21 AM »
It's good reading the reactions to Godless. It shows, at least, that we are stimulated by the content, weather it's the correct rifle being shouldered or the attraction between the sexes. I myself believe that these issues of same sex storylines are of their time: the issue needs exposure to normalise it. It could be applied to any issue like religious tolerance/intolerance, sexual behaviour or whatever isrelevantatthe time. It can be tiresome but if it can be worked into a storyline and the storyline engages us then it's fine by me. The gay storyline in Godless does not offend me. It obviously offends others, but it was ever thus. I can remember watching Bonanza when I was a child and noticing that a strong religious element was creaping in. The Cartwright's seemed to be praying every week, which, even then, seemed ridiculous to meand I would have been 11 or 12 years of age. I can see the hackles rising at that remark, on some people's neck. Everything is of it's time especially in popular television drama.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
I finished watching it last night. Not a bad series. The finale gunfight in Open Range was better but the finale in Godless was better than the end of the Magnificent Seven. Too much happens off camera. Of course the ultimate ' finale' was in The Wild Bunch. I was disappointed that the mine company goons didn't get their just deserts or the newspaper idiot who caused the confrontation. Liked the strong women. I hope that the whole damsal in distress plot lines will end. Don't remember the book but I've always liked what one of R. Heinlein's characters said to his woman about always having her blaster in case he took an arrow in the leg. She could be naked wearing just her rubies but she better have her blaster on her hip. Good advice.( the blaster part).
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 11:29:18 PM »
Just binge-watched it yesterday and today.

Really enjoyed it!
I was upset about the kid Deputy's death, I kinda liked him.

And the finish at the end when the credits rolled, just background sound of waves hitting the shore . . . perfect touch.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com