Author Topic: Latest USFA  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Latest USFA
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
Just recently acquired this Rodeo.

The interesting thing to me, and the reason I bought it was the caliber it is chambered for.

In case it isn't clear, here's a close up.

Another member started a thread about his 44 Special Rodeo a while back but this is the first 4-3/4" I've seen in this chambering. Although I'm a dedicated fan of the 45 Colt the 44 Spl isn't a bad alternative. (smile)

Dave

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Latest USFA
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
Very nice pistol in a great caliber.  I have a couple of 4 3/4", one in .44-40 and the other in .38-40.  These are two of the most accurate pistols I own. Even more so than my Colt revolvers.  Would like to fine a .38-40 or .44-40 in a 5 1/5".

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
Buck,

In addition to preferring 45 Colt chamberings I also prefer the black powder framed models. But if one must have a cross pin frame I thought the 44 Special was the best vintage chambering, particularly for shooting smokeless powder. (smile)

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:10:07 PM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
Dave,
With nothing other to go on than the photos of the cylinder flutes, I would guess that yours is a "US" made gun.  More detail would be needed to confirm but that is a promising start!
Best thing about the Rodeo, aside from the price, is the potential for refinishing it into something that you really desire (see Yahoody's numerous posts/pictures to see what you can turn a Rodeo into).
Congratulations on your newest acquisition!
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
Capt'n,

The cylinder flutes, the fit of the loading gate to the frame, the Colt like up-sweep of the hammer and the vertical rear of the front sight all indicate "US Made" to me. Another more subtle indication for me is the shape and contour of the back strap and trigger guard. Every Italian replica I've handled (not that many) and the USFA gun that I had, made from Italian parts, all feel different in the hand than the 1st Gen Colts I used to own and shoot. The all US made USFA guns have the same feel in the hand as the 1st Gen Colt, as does this Rodeo.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. (smile)

Dave

Offline hanover67

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
I like your .44 Rodeo!  I tried to order a nickel version of the same gun but got the royal run-around from USFA at the time. First they didn't have any .44 caliber barrels, then they discontinued the flat nickel plating process. This on top of charging me an extra $100 "special order" cost because they only offered the guns in .38 Special and .45. Anyhow, after a while I was able to order a dome blued, 4 3/4" Single Action in .44 Special but with the barrel marked "RUSSIAN AND S & W SPECIAL 44" like the old Colts. Including the special order charge my cost was $775 from the factory plus local California sales taxes and background check costs bringing the total to $872.81. In retrospect not bad for a one-of-a-kind original. That was in 2011. I've since acquired a Cimarron Bisley 4 3/4" .44 and a 7 1/2" Colt New Frontier SAA, also .44 Special. I'd send pics but I'm trying to change over from photobucket to imgur and I'm confused...

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:03 AM »
Nice gun Dave!  Gotta love the non existent cylinder/barrel gap :)
I have read your penchant for BP frames.  No worries there.  You can sell this one to me!

I picked up a pair with consecutive serial numbers...and a Rodeo prefix some time back.

I bought them for the Russian-Special 44 roll mark which I found unusal for a Rodeo Serial number, consecutive pair with a blue and cased finish.  Turnbull's case colors are bright enough on these to reflect off the barrel and ejector rod housing!

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com