Author Topic: Converting original 1866 to center fire  (Read 29301 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Converting original 1866 to center fire
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
Yep what they said . Very good job .Nothing wrong with getting one of these old irons shooting again , and no harm done to the original parts . ,,,DT

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
Awww . . . y'all are makin' me blush.

Project delayed on account of my 3-day weekend was taken up with college tours for a couple of high school seniors.

I'm optimistic about some brass-forming and perhaps casting this weekend in preparation for a range trip.

--DJ

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 09:32:14 PM »
Range Trip??    OH YUM!!!!  Hardly wait

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:21:05 PM »

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 11:57:59 PM »
OK, I decided to make a second bolt head in case my first one isn't quite right.  The first one I made has a broader firing pin with the idea that it might operate to support the primer a little bit to keep it from backing out.  The alternative bolt head has a much smaller firing pin and less fore-and-aft travel in an effort to provide a little more case head support.  I also hardened the piston, because it was peening a little where the hammer hits it.  After all was assembled I chambered a few primed cases--they fired just fine, but I also noticed that just chambering the case causes a dent in the primer (photos below).  So I need to dissassemble the bolt head and reduce the length of the firing pin very slightly.  So much of this work is adjust--assemble--try--dissassemble--adjust some more, because all I have are approximate dimensions.  If you go too far, start over again.  I'm trying to get the center pin the same length as the rimfire pins--so close but so far away.  I mangaged to get some brass made up and have found some bullets that will do in a pinch, but just could not get it all done and to the range this weekend.  Still, I feel I'm getting closer.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:07 AM »
Man DJ that is a nice rifle and im always anxious for the next up date. out of curiosity, would copying how a uberti bolt prevent the primers from being dented/going off?

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:39 AM »
Hey Nativeshooter--

Thanks for the input and interest.  I have a Uberti 1866 bolt that I partially fitted, but it is a different design--much more like an 1873 bolt with a sold bolt face and very different firing pin design.  If the conversion I'm working on ends up not being very durable, or if the problems cannot be safely solved, then I will probably try the 1873-style bolt.  But I'm hopeful that I can work things out with a little more trial and error.

For the time being my project is on hold as I'm taking time off to visit the Maryland Arms Collectors Show this weekend.  I would guess that the majority of items for sale at this show are civil war era, but there is a broad range of offerings from Revolutionary War flintlocks up through K98s of WWII.  If you ever have a chance to go, it is pretty amazing and usually has a strong showing of original Winchesters as well as a variety of original cowboy era handguns (Colts, Remingtons, Merwin Hulberts, S&Ws, plus lots of obscure stuff).  It could easily break the bank if a person took to buying things, but it only costs $10 to look all day.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2018, 12:04:46 AM »
that does sound awesome, too bad im a plains baby. Seems like all the cool gun shows happen on the east coast.  :(

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
that does sound awesome, too bad im a plains baby. Seems like all the cool gun shows happen on the east coast.  :(

I agree- exceptions are the Tulsa show  which is good for Winchester’s and SAA and the Missouri Valley Collectors show in August in the Kansas City Area. I would love to make the Baltimore Show one day but that is a long way from Kansas!

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »
I just thought about this, but doesn't someone here have an original winchester that was converted at the factory?

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 12:38:30 AM »
At Last!!

I cobbled together about 25 rounds of test ammo before the weekend but was tied up all day Saturday as a chauffeur and most of Sunday with catch-up chores (after "missing" last weekend while at the Baltimore Show).  About 4:00 p.m. I reached a good quitting point and lamented that I wouldn't have time to go to the range to test things out.  Spouse replied, "It doesn't get dark until after 7:00--just go."  So number 2 son and I loaded up some guns and ammo, grabbed some cardboard for targets, and off to the range.

I was pleased to see that everything went off with no problems.  I had loaded up some light loads with fiber wads to fill up the air space--they fired just fine, so I went to the "full power" loads.  I was surprised at how mild even the "case full of 3f" loads were.  I still need to figure out the right bullet, cartridge length, etc., but it was pretty exciting that it worked so well.

I still need to sort out the right load, but in the meantime, IT SHOOTS!

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 12:57:57 AM »
WOOHOOO! CONGRATS DJ! Thats awesome, hopefully we can see more of it in the near future!

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 04:56:47 AM »
Very good work , great to see your project turned out so nice . Look forward to seeing the old 66 shot more .,,,DT

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »
Of course, you realize, if you could find a reasonably priced Henry, the same method/Parts would work again????

CONGRATULATIONS!!  AN ORIGINAL 1866 MUSKET ROARS AGAIN!!  How absolutely MARVELOUS!!

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1636
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »
BRAVO!!

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 11:57:32 PM »
Lots of creativity there, really awesome to see you build this. More awesome seeing it firing again. Recently i was looking at gunbroker and someone is selling two converted bolts for couple 66's. I have the link here.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/762190157

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »
The bolts on Gunbroker are interesting--I suspect they are factory modifications/manufacture, because I think cutting the 1873-style rectangular slot for the firing pin retainer would be beyond the capabilities of most period gunsmiths or just more trouble than it would be worth.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 02:52:21 PM »
Awesome work!  If I remember correctly, Charley Gullet used .41 Magnum brass with the rim turned down and shortened.  I don't remember where he got the heeled bullet mold, though.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2018, 01:53:49 AM »
old west bullet molds has a .44 henry bullet mold. casts the 200 grain one i think

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »
Howdy,  curious what the status of the project is.  I went through my old notes and found that Charlie Gullet did use 41 magnum brass trimmed to length.  I think the rims were OK though as the extractor was designed for 44 rimfire too which was substantial.  The cases were something like .436" for a base diameter.  Seems it would be easier than messing with .44 Russian or shortened 44 Colt Starline brass.  It seems like there was a metric sized rimmed small bore rifle cartridge that had an acceptable base diameter also.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
DJ, do you just use regular .44 russian ammo, or do you have to make it a heel based 44 russian for it to fire?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com