Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 07:37:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Tall Tales (Moderator: Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Don't drink coffee with no elf on a shelf. (Dec coffee thread) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don't drink coffee with no elf on a shelf. (Dec coffee thread)  (Read 17419 times)
The Trinity Kid
Top Active Citizen

These are some of my...Friends

« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2017, 12:21:59 pm »

Morning all.

30 and foggy here, headed for 45 with high clouds. 

Going to head out with a friend this afternoon and get a truckload or two of oak before the wood cutting permits expire at the end of the month.

--TK

"James shook his head and twirled his Colt into it's holster with a smile.  There was some coffee left in the pot, so he poured it in his cup and leaned against the wall by the door.  The sun was setting in the distance, creating a beautiful sunset. 
   “Texas has better sunsets.”  He heard Terri say next to him.  He turned to face her.
   “Of course it does.  But we gotta get what we can in the mean time.” He said with a lopsided grin.  She smiled back and pulled her Colt, stuffing the barrel into his belly.
   “Yer' getting slow.  Better work on that.”  She said and walked back into the house with the empty coffee pot. 
   “We saw that, y' know.”  Clint Rounds said laughing.   James turned red and tried to hide his embarrassment."   Excerpt fromTHE FLOPPY HAT FROM TEXAS," being written by yours truly.

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »

Todays funny

https://youtu.be/6wQuxf_XfW4

"the ringin' of my jinglebobs is music to my soul.

Joshua 1.9

The Trinity Kid
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2017, 09:36:50 pm »

Got about a cord or so of good oak before dark today.  I don't know what the weight rating on a Ford Ranger is, but it's somewhere less than one cord of oak.

--TK

"James shook his head and twirled his Colt into it's holster with a smile.  There was some coffee left in the pot, so he poured it in his cup and leaned against the wall by the door.  The sun was setting in the distance, creating a beautiful sunset. 
   “Texas has better sunsets.”  He heard Terri say next to him.  He turned to face her.
   “Of course it does.  But we gotta get what we can in the mean time.” He said with a lopsided grin.  She smiled back and pulled her Colt, stuffing the barrel into his belly.
   “Yer' getting slow.  Better work on that.”  She said and walked back into the house with the empty coffee pot. 
   “We saw that, y' know.”  Clint Rounds said laughing.   James turned red and tried to hide his embarrassment."   Excerpt fromTHE FLOPPY HAT FROM TEXAS," being written by yours truly.

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2017, 06:54:12 am »

Got about a cord or so of good oak before dark today.  I don't know what the weight rating on a Ford Ranger is, but it's somewhere less than one cord of oak.

--TK
I'd say "Somewhat less" would be somewhat of an understatement! Grin  Never had a ranger, but I can tell you that if you fill the bed of a Dodge Dakota a bit over level full with green oak, the drive home will be "interesting".
Yes they do - like pork n poultry it’s contracted. I have been involved  with that type of programs, just has a cowboy not owner.

Yeah, I'm sure there's a little of that, but for the most part, at least for now, cattle are mostly owned by independents, not much "vertical integration". I'm planning on building up a herd to keep me busy when I retire in about 5 years and 4 1/2 months(but who's counting). Had as many as 70-75 head before the big "D" about 15 years ago, but that's a lot of work on this place, would either have to rent pasture or rent hay ground, and both are hard to come by around here.
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2017, 07:39:28 am »

Rangers Short Wheel Base about 1000lbs , extra cab around 900 lbs
I've had a 94 SWB & 2002 EC ....hay & feed mostly , but I did tote a Ford 300CDI straight 6 long block to the rebuilding machine shop in the short wheel base to & back assembled once... no issues.

put 197,000 on the 2002 and it still ran great and used no oil .... sold it to a neighbor ranch, they still use it .

when planets align...do the deal !
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2017, 08:07:23 am »

Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

Dusting overnight.

'Tis 19 and overcast. WC 10. High of 23.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2017, 11:14:02 am »

Thank you for coffee- my monday.

Cord wood from google. I could not remember 3rd deminsion

One full cordA full cord is a large amount of wood. It measures four feet high by four feet wide by eight feet long (4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.) and has a volume of 128 cubic feet. The amount of solid wood in a cord varies depending on the size of the pieces, but for firewood it averages about 85 cubic feet.

That number is hard to get in a modern full size truck without sideboards. Clever stacking and heavy springs might help though.  We burn so little we just buy it from one of the log dogs in area. Usually the guy with the wood powered truck.

Joshua 1.9

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:14 pm »

I think that for a full size, 8' wide bed truck, about 1/2 cord if you fill it level full. Middle section of the floor is about 4X8, but the bed sides are less than 2ft high, with the area around the wheel wells making up the difference. But since the ranger bed is smaller length and width, it's have to be piled up pretty full to get 1/2 cord. In my younger years, I used to sell a little wood, I had a '53 Chevy 1 ton flatbed don't remember the dimensions of the bed, but I had made sideboards about 28-30 in high that would hold 1 cord when stacked level full.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2017, 01:35:27 am »

I think a common term for a 1/2 cord is a face cord and is often thought to be a cord.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2017, 01:44:01 am »

Ok, face cord is 1/3rd volume and would weigh around 1200 to 1400 
pounds if oak.  A hefty load for a Ranger.   Also sometimes called a Rick.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2017, 09:22:15 am »

Brrrrrrrrrr cold here this morning... been dragging my butt hoping the Sun would start warming up things.

Coffee and water on the boil is up!

Hickory and Pecan around here for BBQ  OAK for heat and BBQ both

Joshua 1.9

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2017, 09:38:04 am »

How much is in that "face cord" would depend on how long you cut the wood. 16" wood would get you 1/3, but 24" would make 1/2. A "rick" could be any amount depending on how far apart the end posts or trees are.

For firewood here I burn all sorts of trash wood, results of clearing fencerows or overgrown pasture. Stove is full of elm right now. When it gets real cold I'll try to get mostly oak or thorny locust. Locust burns pretty hot, but tends to make a lot of sparks every time you open the stove door and a rush of air hits it. Rarely burn hickory, unless it's from saplings because I don't have a log splitter, or sycamore, except for dropped dead limbs. Both are hard to split, and sycamore seems to produce more ashes than heat.
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2017, 10:35:40 am »

Ha... sycamore good for bonfires.
It is a tree not common in this area but plentiful in Virginia.

Just got into the 40’s here, i hauled hot water outside to give all the animals till theirs thaw out

Joshua 1.9

Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2017, 11:31:27 am »

Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

The sticks/logs of a face cord are usually 16" long. Therefore, a face cord is usually 1/3 of a full cord.

I burn any hardwood that is available, but mostly oak. Black locust is also good because of its density, but is produces a lot more ash than oak. BTW, burning popple produces pregnancy.  Roll Eyes

Got 3/4" of sn*w overnight.

'Tis 22 and overcast. High of 25.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2017, 12:48:21 pm »

I don’t want to be pregnant  Grin

Joshua 1.9

Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2017, 02:34:16 pm »

I don’t want to be pregnant  Grin
Then don't burn popple. Grin

Slim

litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2017, 07:36:46 pm »

We burned our share of Aspen in the west and Tulip Poplar in the east. Not a real hot burner but will work, another that leaves alot ash.  Nice wood for furniture and crafting though.  I’ve seen cottonwood that was milled also for mostly barn building.  I believe Teddy Roosvelt wrote in his journals about cutting logs for his cabin the Blackhills. I believe it was Cottonwood.

Joshua 1.9

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2017, 07:57:54 pm »

Good thing we don't have a lot of popple here then. I'll already be retired before the kids I got are graduated. Don't need any more at my age.
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2017, 10:36:02 pm »

Good thing we don't have a lot of popple here then. I'll already be retired before the kids I got are graduated. Don't need any more at my age.

Lol I don’t even want bragging rights at my age.

Joshua 1.9

litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2017, 08:39:52 am »

Morning coffee is up... and the other fixin’s.

Rain here in the Sunny South today and next couple.   

Joshua 1.9

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2017, 10:20:45 am »

Rain and a warm 42 degrees here in Mo. Made biscuits for breakfast. no sausage to be found, so I made bacon grease gravy. Not bad. Couldn't bring myself to crumble up the bacon to put in the gravy, it looked too tasty all by itself.
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2017, 10:26:00 am »

Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

The popples we have are quaking aspen. Our shed that was made 80+ years old is almost entirely made from it. 1 1/2 years old, we stabilized it and put steel on the outside.

'Tis 24 and overcast. High of 30.

Slim

The Trinity Kid
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2017, 03:07:36 pm »

Afternoon all.

Sunny and 45 in California.  Headed for 50 according to the NOAA.  We'll see how close they get.

Went up to one of my lookout towers from the summer last night.  The local radio club, of which I'm a member, has some equipment up there that needed work, so we worked on it.  Seems to be fixed.  It was about 20 degrees up there at sunset, and got colder after that.  About a 20mph wind.  Had to put the front end in on the truck to get through the sn*w/ice on the way up.  The tower sits right at 6000 feet (6055 in the cab Roll Eyes ).

About that wood.  We loaded the Ranger (short base 2003 Sport) cab high, with log lengths about 7- 9 feet.  Some logs were 12-14" diameter, and I'd guess 200lbs or more.  Took both of us to load them.  The springs were bottomed out, but it wasn't my truck, and he seemed not to care.  It was only 1 mile or so back home, but it was a little squirrely.

--TK

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2017, 09:25:12 pm »

My Dad and I used to haul wood that way in his CJ-7(of course, they were 6" poles, not 12-14")Leave the tailgate down and stack it full with poles sticking out 2-3' beyond the tailgate. Just 15-20ft from the road was a small dip, and one time....the wood went down and the front wheels went up. Mud in the dip. Jeep wasn't going anywhere with the front wheels spinning in the air. So from the safety of the gravel road, I hooked a tow chain to my Chevy Vega and pulled him out. Ok, actually all it did was pull the front down so he got traction, but forevermore, I had pulled his JEEP out of the mud with my VEGA!
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2017, 10:24:05 pm »

Love the old CJ’s, there is nothing like them today.

Joshua 1.9

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Tall Tales (Moderator: Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Don't drink coffee with no elf on a shelf. (Dec coffee thread) « previous next »
Jump to: