Author Topic: US PT FA questions  (Read 5874 times)

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
US PT FA questions
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:21:17 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Yesterday a good friend showed me his new purchase (via gb) of what was advertised as a used Uberti SAA 4 3/4" barrel 45 Colt with a blued frame.
When he opened the two-piece black box, first thing he noticed was the bubble wrap and all the paperwork (owner's manual/tags/etc.) with US Pt FA headings.
Next thing was the U. S. PT F. A.  roll mark on the barrel (along with HARTFORD, CT, USA on second line).

I can't link pictures at the moment, but his revolver is pretty much a dead ringer for this one, except for the following:

- barrel roll mark is U. S. PT F.A.
- two lines/dates on frame -- PAT JULY 25 1871 and PAT JULY 2 1872
- serial number is: P (over) 010834

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/707899929

There is absolutely no evidence it's ever been fired.
So, it appears it's what USFA labeled a Full Dome Blue 4 3/4" barrel 45 Colt, as-new.

So, I'm just wondering if any of you folks could shed any more light about the particular model and the year it was made;  I'm just curious given that USFA is no more.
I realize it's made of Uberti parts as it has a A UBERTI ITALY roll mark on the underside of the barrel.

And my friend won the auction for around $350.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: US PT FA questions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:48:30 PM »
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:53:28 PM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:53:25 PM »
The $335 your friend paid for his USPFA is an amazing deal, in my opinion. 

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:11:47 AM »
This one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/709918297

CC  Griff

I'm wondering i there's a message behind your question.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »
Nope.  Just trying to be helpful by finding the actual posting.  I'm pretty ignorant about USFA guns and I'm here to learn.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
I don't know the year it was made but I believe it would fall into the Cowboy model category since it appears to be all dome blue. I just don't know if they were being called a Cowboy that early. Gary Granger would probably know.

I know one thing for certain, I would love to purchase nice USPtFA's for $350 and I bet a bunch of others on here would too.  ;D
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:42:42 PM »
Nope.  Just trying to be helpful by finding the actual posting.  I'm pretty ignorant about USFA guns and I'm here to learn.

CC Griff

Thanks Griff.
Since my friend decided to sell it to me for $100 more than he paid (to pay back some favors), and I bought it, I've been in a 'too good to be true' mode.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
I don't know the year it was made but I believe it would fall into the Cowboy model category since it appears to be all dome blue. I just don't know if they were being called a Cowboy that early. Gary Granger would probably know.

I know one thing for certain, I would love to purchase nice USPtFA's for $350 and I bet a bunch of others on here would too.  ;D

Thanks for that Lou.
I got a chance to shoot it today (after replacing springs with Wulff).   It's awesome.  Pretty much POA at 50 yds!
And I'm liking the all-blue look more and more.
Although I'm interested to hear from others who can provide more information on this particular piece/serial# I'm a pretty happy camper with whomever made this one.  :)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 11:32:07 PM »
 That's excellent! Congratulations! I'm only just a little jealous...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 11:07:31 PM »
An all blue finish .45 with an Old Model frame looks like an "Artillery Model", except it's a 4 3/4" barrel and an Artillery would've had a 5 1/2" barrel.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »
I confess I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to USFA's various models, especially when it involves the early USPtFA revolvers.

I thought the "Artillery Model" was one of the Inspector Series single action revolvers that had the 5 1/2" barrel and sported a CC frame and hammer and old Armory bluing.

To be honest, though, as previously mentioned I don't really know how the early USPtFA's were designated concerning different models. 

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 10:15:07 PM »
Buckaroo Lou, I was refering to some actual original "Artillery Models" made by Colt. These were old, black powder frame, 7 1/2" barreled . 45 caliber SAA's that were refurbished by the military in, I think, the early 1900's. When they were refurbished the barrels were cut down to 5 1/2" and although most of them were blue/CCH, some of them were refinished in full blue. I was just commenting that the OP's gun looks like these, since it is a full blue .45 with a black powder frame, except that his has a 4 3/4" barrel and the real ones would have had a 5 1/2" barrel.
USFA did make a real replica of the Artillery model with all the inspector stamps and cartouches and they were blue/CCH with correct 5 1/2" barrels.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
LonesomePigeon,, Thanks for the explanation. I apologize for my misunderstanding the reasoning behind your response. I am not the most informed when it comes to single action revolvers especially when it comes to the Colts. I know just enough to show my ignorance.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com