Author Topic: 1892 Marlin Firing Pin?  (Read 9902 times)

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Juneau Gold Miners' Posse
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1892 Marlin Firing Pin?
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »
Does anyone know who would have or make a firing pin for an 1892 Marlin in .32 center fire?  Numrich is out. 

BTW - where is the cheapest .32 Long Colt (or short) brass? 
-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: 1892 Marlin Firing Pin?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 09:18:48 AM »
For a firing pin start checking EBay and do an internet search.  There are lots of antique parts houses besides Numrich.  As far as .32 Colt brass there is no "cheap" supply.  As of right now no one is making it so it is a matter of seaching gun shows, etc.  If you plan to shoot it much you might consider rechambering to .32 S&W Long.  A minor mod also has to be made to the opening in the mag tube so the new ammo will fit through the loading port.

For example, here are a couple of parts houses.

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com

http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/marlin-lever-action-rimfire/

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »
Jack First in Rapid City, SD also has and manufactures parts for many antique guns.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:02 AM »

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
Thank you both.

Wisner's is out and got a little snarky about when they might make a batch.

I have a message into Poppert's and I am waiting to hear back before calling Frost.

My backup, backup plan is to mail the broken pin to a machinist friend in AL. 

So, is there a gunsmith who regularly rechambres these to .32 S&W long?  I can find those on shelves here.  I see where the tube would need a little filing but understand the .32 Colt and .32 S&W have the same rim diameter the Colt ammunition just seems to have a slightly smaller case diameter.  We have a new younger gunsmith in town who is still acquiring tools; he might be able to rechambre the rifle if he has the mill and specs. 
This is my lovely wife's Christmas present (and bribe to show up to more shoots) so that is my timeline.  I found .32 Colt at $96./100 if they are still in stock.  Midway seems to have dies and molds. 

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
Strike 4.  No one has these firing pins in stock. 

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1639
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
   Greetings!

Back in the 80's, I acquired a tired but decent Marlin 1891 chambered for the .32LRF/CF; the RF tip had been removed,
and modified to CF with a bit of braze.
   I cruised the big gunshows, and found broken boxes of Winchester, Remington, etc. ".32Long Colt", with the hollow
based Inside Lubricated bullet ( which really makes it the ".32 Long Rifle CF" ); these several boxes, I was able to buy for
anywhere from $3 to $7 or so. Factory new Winchester "white box" .32 Long Colt was about $15 for 50 cartridges.
   Soon after I had gone through most of these, I found a set of Eagle Reloading Dies, and an Ideal #299153 heeled bullet
mould. Using a .32 Long RF case as a trim-to guide, I trimmed all of my brass down to the proper .32LCF length. A very
small charge of Hercules (!) Unique and Standard Pistol Primers completed the process.
   Even with a dark bore, and aided by a Marble's Tang Sight, from a rest, all of my shots could be kept on a 12ga Hull out to
forty yards...
   I was encouraged by others, all those years ago, to rechamber / modify the old rifle to .32S&WL, to "simplify & improve"
it. I did not choose to do so. My personal feeling still is, that if I was to do so, it would cease to be what it was created at the
factory to be. I seriously doubt that anyone will be making arms chambered for the .32 LCF/RF ever again. Not only that, but
I really get a kick out of recreating vintage cartridges for obsolete arms; it's a "sub-hobby", I suppose.
   I encourage you to seek out late-production Winchester .32 Long CF cartridges, and enjoy it as it is; that, or consider selling
it to a collector, and getting your partner an 1894 Marlin in .38Spl, which would be VERY EASY to load for!
   Too many vintage arms are modified to make them "better" or "more convenient" to use; to do so, changes them forever.
Please reconsider! It's a neat little cartridge in a neat little rifle!

My Best!

MTMarfield

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
I agree with Mr. mtmarfield , 100 % , I don't think you can improve on the 32Colt in this levergun . Last I looked Buffalo Arms had  32Colt ammo in stock , and if you really want to you can find the find the components to reload for the 32 Colt . I do its very easy . The firing pin   issue can be made by any competent gunsmith . Give the 32 Colt a try before changing the old gun over to something else . It is a Great little performer and one of or the most efficient cartridges I have ever worked with ,,,,,,,DT

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:58:34 PM »
I sent the pin to Florida to a machine shop that was sure they could make one and now they claim that they cannot find the tool steel(?) 

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
Some asked me if the Marlin 39 firing pins would work???  They do look a lot alike. 

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
This is an article I wrote for a Black Powder magazine this summer......lots of info on the 1892 Marlin and 32 Colt

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/want-shoot-32-colt-marlin-model-92.html

BTW...Sometimes the other firing pin is under the butt plate. These rifles came with both CF and RF firing pins
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »
This is an article I wrote for a Black Powder magazine this summer......lots of info on the 1892 Marlin and 32 Colt

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/want-shoot-32-colt-marlin-model-92.html

BTW...Sometimes the other firing pin is under the butt plate. These rifles came with both CF and RF firing pins

First, thank you very much for the article.  It went into an "e-card" to be delivered on Christmas morning to my lovely wife.

I checked under the butt plate and no spare firing pin.   :(  There is a cast storage space but it seems too curved for a pin(?)  It looks like it might holds something like rolled up money.  Oh well, .32 rimfire is even harder to find. 

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
After reading this thread, I went to my gun club and an older member shows up with a box of "junk" he just wanted to get rid of. Wouldn't you know it, a full box of vintage 32 Long Colt!!!

Also a bunch of balloon head 38-55 and 38-40 brass. Some loaded rounds. So I pulled the bullets and both were loaded with black powder.

Also some 38-40 rounds with a round ball for a bullet...........

Neat stuff for my collection.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »
After reading this thread, I went to my gun club and an older member shows up with a box of "junk" he just wanted to get rid of. Wouldn't you know it, a full box of vintage 32 Long Colt!!!

Also a bunch of balloon head 38-55 and 38-40 brass. Some loaded rounds. So I pulled the bullets and both were loaded with black powder.

Also some 38-40 rounds with a round ball for a bullet...........

Neat stuff for my collection.

Now you are just teasing me.   ;)

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/marlin-lever-action-rimfire/  Finally has the firing pins (33G) back in stock. 

I lucked out and found about 1/2 a box of old .32 LC when a local gun shop closed. 

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
http://www.wisnersinc.com/marlin-lever-action-rifle-small-"-firing-pins/
Try the above link. I have one that I had converted, the gunsmith I used is in his 70's now, no longer working. It
was converted to S&W long. Back when available  I bought a case, (Winchester Super-X), I bought a a case of when it was available. Still have 145 rounds plus spent brass, the ammo is too hot, split the forcing cone on my Colt 1896, if you want the ammo & brass make an offer.
Brian

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »
http://www.wisnersinc.com/marlin-lever-action-rifle-small-"-firing-pins/
Try the above link. I have one that I had converted, the gunsmith I used is in his 70's now, no longer working. It
was converted to S&W long. Back when available  I bought a case, (Winchester Super-X), I bought a a case of when it was available. Still have 145 rounds plus spent brass, the ammo is too hot, split the forcing cone on my Colt 1896, if you want the ammo & brass make an offer.
Brian

I just found this post.  Sorry that I took so long to reply.

Do you have .32 Long Colt brass? 

My lovely wife has decided to keep the rifle in .32 Colt (barely) so I just ordered  the Colt dies (back ordered and expensive), molds, and reformed brass from Buffalo.  The firing pins are finally back in stock and fitted.  I even found a rim fire firing pin (THAT ammunition would be even more fun to locate.)  Oh well, I'll put it under the butt plate where there is supposed to be one. 

Bless her heart but she has decided that the box of original .32 Long Colt is too rare to shoot.  I am having trouble explaining where reloadable brass comes from.  "First a mommy empty brass and a daddy lead slug, who love each other very much....."   ;)

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »
I have 145 rounds Short Colt factory ammo, (Winchester  Super X) make an offer, plus will throw in spent brass I can find. The super X smokeless was too hot for my 1896 Colt pocket, split the forcing cone. Understand, I am shooting an 1892 Marlin converted to 32 S&W long, I am shooting it smokless. I tried to PM you, couldn't,  suggest you PM me with your offer. Understand, the barrel on my 1896 was replaced with the later pocket positive model barrel, it is now safe to shoot, but choose not to.
Brian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com