Author Topic: Black MZ  (Read 9170 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Black MZ
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:17 PM »
Just to add a tiny little point.  Black MZ is manufactured by the APP folks.  It is of a slightly different formulation with all of the same APP easy to use properties.  Really GOOD stuff.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 01:09:20 AM »
just before Sportsman's Warehouse Gander Mountain went belly up here in Florida... I bought the remaining jars of Shockey’s  Gold they had (3)

I load on the press though a funnal & a lee dipper dribbling in  , as it will bridge if you just dump it ...
I fill the case just to light compression....

EDIT :  Brain fade I wrote Sportsman Warehouse  ::)  I meant Gander Mountain we don't have SW in Florida  DoH !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 02:23:26 AM »
just got done making about 200 paper cartridges with it. Great stuff. Very easy to make as no need for lubes & stuff. works great.

Might want to keep an eye on your cartridges if you're not shooting them up right away.  It draws humidity like a sponge and may turn into grease.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:33:46 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
OK, I'm going to pull what one of our beloved CAS members does from time to time (love it when he does it by the way) and enter a fray I have no bone in other than reading the posted comments. I have no time for any black powder subs, none, notta, zero. When I shoot, burn, use, any propellant in any of my percussion, metallic conversion, or muzzleloader it's good Ol' Real FF or FFF black powder, mostly GOEX.  Like the smell of it, the boom, any flash, and the nostalgia of the stuff. I've been around the wanna-be subs and they stink, don't care how much fan fare any of ya post about easy cleanup and they "ain't" original. Cleaning my percussion and conversions isn't much different than cleaning any of my smokeless guns, except the percussion ones in and around the nipple area of the cylinders. Real PITA, detest it every time but do it. Figured the clothes, firearms, and accessory Nazi's would be screaming about shooters using the subs (Ahha'- the "period correct" crowd).  Cleaning firearms and brass using real original black is part of the process of shooting, ya can't stay dry going swimming or not get yer hands dirty plantin yer garden. I did use a sub once as I was given a partial can by a fellow shooter-didn't see any advantage in the fowling or the firearm or any cleanup. Nothing but a sales promotion by the manufacturer IMO.

Not tryin to ruffle any feathers or put anyone down, but when real black is available, can't see using the wanna-be's. If and if some Nazi/Commie bunch in Wash DC figure and deem we responsible shooters shouldn't have real black powder available to us and outlaw the sale to the public (sound familiar) AND only allow the sale and use of subs, well guess I don't shoot or will have to start using subs. I detest cottage cheese and unflavored yogurt, but if I had nothing else and was starving-would chow down. Then again I had high school and college chemistry, even made some black powder once in lab to the horror of the lab professor. (Told about that in my first ever post on this forum). Was some pretty good stuff after the 4th try or so at it. Not that complicated or hard to do, just a PITA doing any quantity IMO, but can be done. Some have posted here about making it-stay away from doing so-like to stay healthy, but it can be done. Well, I'll punch out, just postin my thoughts on the subject. I know some thoughts and possible rebuttal's may be "ya don't have to use it if ya don't like it, mind your own business, pound sand Crow Choker, who asked you C.C"., etc, etc. Just thought I'd post my opinion on the stuff and question of the day. Besides like our own beloved CAS CITY resident who I'd love to spend a day shootin and jawin' with often posts and states he was bored. I was to this early morning, its rainin out and I haven't wound up my ambition spring to do any thing else. "Guten Tag" my CAS CITY friends.  :) :)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
Since I started this thread I thought I might be the one to respond to ol' C.C. Back when I was shooting original, 1st Gen Colt SAAs, and dressing as accurately as I could, I shot GOEX exclusively, and did so for the better part of 10 years. Had to give up all that and sold the guns and stuff that went with them (long story).

I'm 25+ years older and all busted up and hurting from a vigorous life in my youth (lol). When I came back into Old West guns it was just to go shooting once in a while as I can no longer compete. I can't afford 1st Gen Colts anymore and barely afforded the USFAs I now have.

I've gone looking for BP and none of the retailers in my area carry it anymore. Too afraid of the liability, as I was told by the guy at Sportsman's Warehouse. All they carry are substitutes and Black MZ is about the cheapest @ $9.99/pound. All the reports I've read about it made it sound like a good alternative so I asked some questions. This isn't the only thread I've started on the subject and I'm learning as I go.

I've now progressed to shooting some loads and chronographing them to see what's going on. For the most part the Black MZ is performing satisfactorily, for my intended purpose and circumstances.

If that offends you Mr. CC I do apologize. However, I am not offended by your choice of propellent and wish you the very best, and good shooting. I would appreciate the same courtesy in return.

Dave

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
Not offended, nor was my post intended to offend. Just stating my preference, wasn't aware if I didn't like or use subs I couldn't respond to the thread. I have a Gun Shop approx. an hour drive that stocks FF and FFF and has it on hand most of the time, good price to-around $15 a lb last time I knew. When he retires or quits selling, a GS 90 miles away carries it. After that, will have to look around or order online. I do get a little perturbed at a lot of outfits like Cabela's, Scheels, and such, while I can understand why they may not carry black powder and offer only subs, they seem to cater only to the inline muzzle loader rifle crowd and offer only token items for dedicated black powder revolver shooters. Then they wonder why places such a Track of the Wolf and other online business's get used. I've even had some GS that I visit for the first time when asked about percussion caps, black powder, and such declare no body shoots that stuff anymore. They just want to sell their wonder 9's and AR's. Anyway, Dave-can understand your situation, no problem, all the best to ya! CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com