Author Topic: Black MZ  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Black MZ
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »
My aging brain thinks it remembers reading here (Cas City Forums) that Alliant's new BP substitute Black MZ is just American Pioneer Powder repackaged under a new name. Now I can't find that comment and am asking if this is the case or, if not where Black MZ ranks among the various substitutes?

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Black MZ
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
DT,

Black MZ joins Pinnacle,  Shocky's gold and several others as APP in a different package.  Made by the APP folks.  It is an excellent BP Substitute.  Very easy to clean up, not very corrosive and makes Beau Coup smoke.  Currently I have only seen it in a single granulation and I have not seen an "f" number applied to it.  I would treat it as ffg.  The granulation of all the APP type products is quite a bit larger than BP.

Like APP and APP Premium, it is loaded with NO compression.  Load until it just kisses the bottom of the projectile and a good crimp.  

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
Thanks CM. In my part of the country (central AZ desert) I can't find APP anywhere. I was thinking this Alliant product might be more available and it would be a way to try this particular (APP type) black powder substitute.

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:39:57 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »
Sportsman's Warehouse has the best prices on it.
T
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
Sportsman's Warehouse has the best prices on it.
T

I'm about a mile from them as the crow (or raven in our case) flies. I'll go there tomorrow and have a look see. Thanks for the tip.

Dave

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 07:00:13 AM »
I called Alliant because I had a couple of questions about Black MZ.
 I was told that it likes compression. Do NOT use any lube with it. It is the same as APP 3f.
My wife uses it instead of real BP. It is less than $10 per lb. from Sportsmans Warehouse.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »
I and others have found that BlackMZ is noticeably more powerful than real black.  I load about 2/3 the volume of real black in my Cowboy loads and still have a load with plenty of snap and smoke. Even the full case black powder shooters comment on how much smoke my BlackMZ loads produce.

I spoke with one guy that shoots BlackMZ loads in his 1911 45 Auto!  Full, compressed load is stout enough to cycle the action.  :o

I wouldn't recommend using BlackMZ in antique guns of questionable conditions. 

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »
LOL - Some say no compression, some say it likes compression. Some say treat it like FFg and another says treat it like FFFg. Since I bought a pound this morning I reckon I'll have to find out myself. (smile)

And by the way, what's this "no lube" business. Does that mean shoot unlubed cast alloy bullets with this stuff? That doesn't sound right!

Dave

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
They don't need to be lubed, but it's ok to shoot regular commercial smokeless lubed bullets with it.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
I use water to clean and when dry, use Thompson Bore Butter on a patch to protect bore, etc.  Lately, I've use a damp bore snake, followed by brush, then dry patch, then Bore Butter.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
Dave T

Black MZ and APP based propellants REQUIRE no lube.  You can use lube, but you do not need to.  You can shoot bullets with smokeless lube, or you can shoot bullets "as cast."  Doesn't matter

The residue left behind after firing serves as a lubricant.  It also is not cumulative.  Each round fired removes the previous firing's residue.  At the end of a 6 stage match, there is no more residue in the bore than there was after the first stage.

BP and Subs are loaded by volume.  FFFg APP is loaded exactly like FFF Goex.  By volume.  Same same FFg.  If you scooping 1.3cc of FFFg you also scoop 1.3cc of FFg.  Your 1.3cc scoop will throw 1.3cc no matter what the "f" count is.  You can of course, play with your specific volume of powder depending on what you want to accomplish.  Dropping the amount of powder will require an amount of filler to make up for the reduced amount of powder so you still wind up with 1.3cc in the chamber (If that is where your seating your ball).

Ain't guns FUN!!!

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 04:38:30 AM »
LOL - Some say no compression, some say it likes compression. Some say treat it like FFg and another says treat it like FFFg. Since I bought a pound this morning I reckon I'll have to find out myself. (smile)

And by the way, what's this "no lube" business. Does that mean shoot unlubed cast alloy bullets with this stuff? That doesn't sound right!

Dave
Before I would believe anything about it I would call the tech reps at Aliant.
 That's what I did.
OR read the loading instructions on the bottle.
Says "seat the bullet FIRMLY on the powder".
"Use NO lube".
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 06:46:46 PM »
My impression of APP/Black MZ is that it has about the same UMPH as BP in my 357mag pistol loads. I usually shoot 777 which is snappier than any BP or other sub but I can't tell the difference in recoil between the other powders. To me, it is a soft shooting powder. It could be that the coarse grains put less weight per volume of powder in the small case and thus less energy.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
I have not had the chance to use MKZ yet .
Just because I have so much APP on hand .
But I am going to give it a try the next time I need to buy some powder .
It sound good and at 1\2 the price of APP.

Rooster Ron Wayne
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 05:40:41 AM »
I ran two tests with BlackMZ vs Grafs Reenactor and BlackMZ vs Goex FFg.   I shot 30 rounds each through a pair of Taylor's Smoke Wagons in 44WCF gunfighter style.

Here is a video of the BlackMZ vs Grafs Reenactor.

Here is the video of BlackMZ vs Goex FFg.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »
Bibbyman,

Thanks for doing those videos and for posting them. Informative.

On the subject of Black MZ, has anyone shooting it chronographed their loads to see how it compares to BP in velocity (same bullet same volume of powder)?

Dave

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »
Well, to answer my own question, I chronographed two different Black MZ loads this morning behind 256g RNFP bullets from Montana Bullet Works. One load was from the 1.9cc dipper, the volume equivalent of 28g FFg or 30g FFFg. The second load was with the 2.2cc dipper and is the volume equivalent of 30g FFg or 35g FFFg. With this last one I was hoping to get the same performance I got 25 years ago shooting 35g-36g of FFFG behind a 255g bullet.

The 1.9cc load was pleasant to shoot but a bit disappointing in performance. From my 7.5" USFA I got an average of 842 fps. From a 5.5" USFA I got 749 fps for an average. And finally my 3" Sheriff's Model delivered 659 fps for 5 shots.

I was more hopeful with the 2.2cc loads and almost got it right. The 7.5" barrel averaged 916 fps, very close to what I used to get with 35g of FFFg. The 5.5" barrel was disappointing with only a 831 fps average. The 3" managed to break 700 but not by much with a 711 fps average.

One thing obvious with all the testing I did was the wide extreme spread I was getting. Over 50 fps with every load in every gun and the disappointing 5.5" test with the 2.2cc load had an extreme spread of 85 fps. This indicates to me my dipping technique needs some improvement, or I need to find a more accurate way to dispense Black MZ. Any suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 10:40:16 PM »
You might want to try a traditional powder flask and do the EXACT amount of shaking before letting up on the valve so you get the same agitation to settle the powder in the spout. I do that for when I load BMZ in the .357. The grains size onf the BMZ is pretty coarse and you may need to settle it when dispensing. Dipping doesn't allow much for settling.

As for using a powder measure like my Redding, I have found that some of the synthetics (APP, Black Mag3, Black Canyon) are corrosive to the iron drum and need cleaning out after every use in the rotating powder measure.
An electronic scale and a powder dribbler might work too. Dip a little less powder and finish the weight with a powder trickler then load into the case. That should smooth out the variable FPS findings.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
Yesterday I ran some Black MZ through my .44 "Coffinmaker" snubbies. Using a recommended 12.5 weighed grains and a round ball there was a big boom, plenty of smoke and a loud "Klang" with every hit on the the target.
Cleanup was a wonder with two patches wet with moose milk, a dry one and a patch wet with Ballistol and DONE!
I may start cleaning after shooting GOEX FFFg with a cylinder full of APP and save on cleaning time. If I was not well supplied with GOEX and the supply of APP is 100 mile round trip I would go with any one of the APP products no matter the name.
At least that was my experience YMMV
Hold Center
Bunk

Offline smokin6

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 06:23:05 PM »
just got done making about 200 paper cartridges with it. Great stuff. Very easy to make as no need for lubes & stuff. works great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com