Author Topic: Half breed style holsters/ belts  (Read 9815 times)

Offline William R. Foster

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Half breed style holsters/ belts
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »
So far i think my favorite look for a holster/ belt combo is the half breed style holsters. Coincidentally similar to the style the duke was known for.  My question is how historically accurate are these holsters/ belts? Is it a hollywood reel cowboy thing or were they actually prevalent? If so during what time period?  Still not sure about the canvas/ leather belt vs all leather. The two belts im currently looking at (after trying other styles via loan to make sure) are the duke holster/ belt combo and the westerner combo. Both from cochise leather.

Thanks for any help pards.

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Half breed style holsters/ belts
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »
He didn't wear a 'Half-Breed' rig - more of an 1890's skirtless style with a money belt - or even what El Paso Saddlery calls the '1930 Austin'.

His costuming came from his personal wants and desires - not from the pages of history - so don't mistake the 'John Ford Reference Library' for an actual reference.

The 'Half-Breed' holster was a spring-retained shoulder holster and not that leather cartoon worn in 'Tombstone', either.

It was worn vertically - under the armpit and with a cross-chest retaining strap - the spring holding the cylinder, with a cupped toe containing the muzzle.

If you want to know what was actually worn and when, get a copy of 'Packing Iron', by Rattenbury - it's what has turned into the model for modern holster makers replicating the era.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
He didn't wear a 'Half-Breed' rig - more of an 1890's skirtless style with a money belt - or even what El Paso Saddlery calls the '1930 Austin'.

His costuming came from his personal wants and desires - not from the pages of history - so don't mistake the 'John Ford Reference Library' for an actual reference.

The 'Half-Breed' holster was a spring-retained shoulder holster and not that leather cartoon worn in 'Tombstone', either.

It was worn vertically - under the armpit and with a cross-chest retaining strap - the spring holding the cylinder, with a cupped toe containing the muzzle.

If you want to know what was actually worn and when, get a copy of 'Packing Iron', by Rattenbury - it's what has turned into the model for modern holster makers replicating the era.

Scouts Out!

Thanks! Im starting to realize i need to pick a copy of that up...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:06:43 PM »

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
Yup...

Look on 'Amazon' and also on 'ebay' - prices can vary.

And in your quest - look in the 'back issues' of the 'Historical Society' and NCOWS' forums, too - all of your period dress answers are somewhere in there.

Go to your Public Library and start reading the Time-Life series 'The Old West' - it'll help.

Don't open your wallet until you've opened some pages so you can make yourself smart.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »
My favorite source for used books. You are free to contact the seller, he's already paid his fees to list the book;

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?ds=20&kn=packing+iron+rattenbury&sts=t
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
The term 'half-breed' refers to a type of holster with a single loop but with a skirt that isn't visible from the front. Heiser and other makers produced them from the early years of the 20th century. They were not seen in the Old West.

But I see in PI that the term also refers to a type of shoulder holster patented by F. R. Lewis of Reno, Nevada in 1911.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
I've thought the half-breed holster is as Skeeter described. Somewhere between a skirted holster and a Slim Jim. If that's what you're asking about, to my knowledge they are a 20 century design.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:50 PM »
Dang. Alright. Good to know that it wouldnt be period correct for what im going for. Im just nit a fan of so much excess material like ive seen on the majority of holsters. It just looks....odd to my eyes. There is always a slim jim, but idk how many would have used one with an 1873 SAA......guess i could always shoot cartridge conversion open tops...

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 10:47:17 PM »
Maybe it'll help you to cruise through our thread on different styles and variations for ideas here.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 11:36:41 PM »
Maybe it'll help you to cruise through our thread on different styles and variations for ideas here.

Thanks pard. Was lookin for a thread like that.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:24:02 AM »
Colt SAAs were certainly packed in slim jims in the 1870s before Mexican loops became the norm.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »
Just to add to this thread;

http://www.purdygear.com/SAhalfbreed.html

P.S. I like the idea of a rough-out moneybelt.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 03:24:36 AM »
Howdy Charlie,

Open Range is one of my favorite movies so you got my curiosity up. Don't know if this will help but I found the attached picture and the websites below.
https://www.google.com/search?q=open+range+movie+images&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS767US767&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBwNDRlcPXAhWDWSYKHTf2AOEQ7AkIRw&biw=1536&bih=734#imgrc=C1DMh_XjbgVdMM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=open+range+movie+images&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CWqyfJHv59kEIjh1ocLvj5uLG1uDV8SRaWU_12DgfHUvyMiHrGa7C8v_1idATsYoHj95CJz6NTDUCEJVPercl7ac49fyoSCXWhwu-Pm4sbESthAPoDvRV2KhIJW4NXxJFpZT8RHE9B1imbjlQqEgnYOB8dS_1IyIREybxknWSY58SoSCesZrsLy_1-J0Eel-bmF1LG1eKhIJBOxigeP3kIkRD_18fALsk1JYqEgnPo1MNQIQlUxHnX0cmcZj6wSoSCd6tyXtpzj1_1EQ_1V0UCxVtJr&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0xJiim8PXAhXF7oMKHdBsCZIQ9C8IHw&biw=1536&bih=734&dpr=1.25#imgrc=arJ8ke_n2QQhwM:

If you scroll down, you will see a pretty decent picture of Boss Spearman's and Charley Waite's Holsters.

Thanks. Cochise makes a good version of the Charlie rig, however Im not the biggest fan of the excess material around the holster (but period correct is period correct...), which is why I like the halfbreed and slim jim style so much.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 03:35:25 AM »
Holsters/ belts along this style catch my eye. http://www.cochiseleather.com/western-gun-belt-hs1885.aspx

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »
I've found I like the Slimjim holsters best for actual wear. They cant out slightly further than a Mexican loop and are easier to drop your pistol into when on a CAS stage. I do find that a tie-down strap helps even though it isn't historically correct. For an actual open carry holster, I like them better without the tie-down. The pics are of my left holster. I don't have any good ones of my right side one.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Here's the complete rig, tie-downs and all.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
Will, beautiful work, the Slimjim, has been one of my favorites also, and for the same reasons as you...

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 05:20:50 AM »
Will, beautiful work, the Slimjim, has been one of my favorites also, and for the same reasons as you...
My sentiments exactly.

Attached is a picture of the Rig I've been using for many years.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »
Holsters/ belts along this style catch my eye. http://www.cochiseleather.com/western-gun-belt-hs1885.aspx

Charlie that is a more modern design, not just the skirt but the low hanging long loop, and you'll also be pressed to find any historical copy of a crossdraw holster like that. The holsters you see worn in a cross draw cant in historical photographs were straight cut hang holsters that are worn canted slightly. Some of my personal patterns are traced copies of original mexican loop holsters and they allow to be worn strong side or cross draw.

As Will referenced a later Slim Jim holster my fit better to the look you want and be historically accurate.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com